Corsair Community

New H80i v2 defective?

dusank

Hello,

I have just assembled a new PC with the Ryzen 1800x CPU, ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme board and a H80i v2 cooler.

Both the BIOS and Corsair LINK report a CPU temperature above 80 degree celsius. This is without any load.

Furthermore one of the fans on the H80i v2 does not start. It got power since when I push it it starts rotating, but on itself it does not.

I have used Arctic Silver TIM and reapplied it today, but unfortunately the CPU temperature still climbs above 80 degree celsius and the PC overheats and restarts after several minutes of usage.

Is this cooler bad (the pump probably)? Or can there be some other reason for this defect?

Is there anything I can do with the fan not starting up?

Can anyone tell me what temperature is expected to be normal with this cooler and CPU (in idle and under load)?

...but unfortunately the CPU temperature still climbs above 80 degree celsius and the PC overheats and restarts after several minutes of usage.

Continually escalating temperature is the classic sign of a pump or flow problem. That in combination with the odd fan not starting suggests some kind of power issue internal to the unit. If you wanted to be thorough, you could move the H80i v2 lead to a CHA fan header (set it to Full Speed in Q-Fan) and put the two radiator fans on CPU/OPT (CPU temp curve - standard, turbo, whatever). This would isolate the two components and potentially indicate any motherboard header issues.

However, I am not expecting a change. If you just bought this, the fastest solution is likely through the purchase retailer. If they have unfriendly or cost prohibitive return policies, use the ticket support system at the top of this page to begin the RMA process through Corsair.

Archived