Corsair Community

Twin2x2048-6400c4dhx

Zeros and ones

Ok so when it comes to memory I am a noob. So please be patient with me.

I currently have 2Gb non Corsair Ram at 677Mhz in my Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

I am very interested in upgrading to TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX. Which is going to be a hell of alot faster. But I want 4GB of these not 2GB.

I see that 2GB of these will run at 4-4-4-12 timings on my board but will 4GB run at 4-4-4-12 timing on my board? Or do I have to go with the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX? If so can i get those timing to 5-5-5-12 as opposed to 5-5-5-18?

Note: I am running 32bit Vista. Yes i know that it will not read all 4GB. Do not care about that. Just want to utilize as much memory as possible. Also any other information what be great.

Help me Ram Guy!!!!!

2 sticks will run faster than 4.

how so? If i get 2 set of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX with timmings 4-4-4-12 will be slower as opposed to just one set of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX?

And isn't the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX faster than the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX because the timing of the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX is 5-5-5-18 as opposed to the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX timming which is 4-4-4-12?

If you want 4GB i would go with what Wired suggested. I have that RAM running at 5-4-3-9 at DDR850 @ 1.85v.

That is good to know. But I do not think i could get that with my particular set up since the P5W HD Deluxe supports at the most DDR2 800.

But i didn't get an answer to what i asked before. As Wired said that 2 sticks will run faster than four.

Why? Why 2 sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX with timmings 4-4-4-12 will be slower to just one set of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX?

And at stock wouldn't two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX be faster than the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX because the timing of the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX is 5-5-5-18 as opposed to the two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX timing would be 4-4-4-12?

That is good to know. But I do not think i could get that with my particular set up since the P5W HD Deluxe supports at the most DDR2 800.

But i didn't get an answer to what i asked before. As Wired said that 2 sticks will run faster than four.

Why? Why 2 sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX with timmings 4-4-4-12 will be slower to just one set of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX?

And at stock wouldn't two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX be faster than the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX because the timing of the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX is 5-5-5-18 as opposed to the two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX timing would be 4-4-4-12?

A forum filled with guys that know about memory and nobody can help me!!!!! Come on!!!!

You have to remember that all of us guys apart from Ram Guy do not get paid for helping :):.

When you have four modules installed on any motherboard thus filling all of the DIMM slots it causes the memory controller to work extra hard. As it stands now, it cant keep up with it and most of the time you have to drop the speed down a notch. Because of this you will most likely have to run the RAM at DDR667 with four modules. Save your self the time and hassle and just buy 2x2GB.

If your worried about speed I had two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF before, which was Corsairs best DDR2 RAM and rated at 3-4-3-9, and I honestly dont notice much of a difference now that I am running TWIN2X4096-C5DHX. Added to that I got $500 back from Corsair since they refunded my RAM which was very nice of them.

• Corsair Employee
With the MB you have when you install more than two modules DDR667 would be suggested, there is more loading on the system and memory controller so chances are 4 up will not be stable at DDR800. But you are welcome to try it and see. I would suggest setting the timings to Cass 5-5-5-15 at 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 volts as well.

You have to remember that all of us guys apart from Ram Guy do not get paid for helping :):.

When you have four modules installed on any motherboard thus filling all of the DIMM slots it causes the memory controller to work extra hard. As it stands now, it cant keep up with it and most of the time you have to drop the speed down a notch. Because of this you will most likely have to run the RAM at DDR667 with four modules. Save your self the time and hassle and just buy 2x2GB.

If your worried about speed I had two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF before, which was Corsairs best DDR2 RAM and rated at 3-4-3-9, and I honestly dont notice much of a difference now that I am running TWIN2X4096-C5DHX. Added to that I got $500 back from Corsair since they refunded my RAM which was very nice of them.

Thank you for the info and answering my questions. Thank you Ram Guy for the suggestion on timing.

Also i do understand that with the exception of Ram Guy, nobody gets paid. I understand you guys are here because you want to be and you like to be. But please also understand it from my point of view as well. As I said I am a noob when it comes to memory. It is frustrating when you ask a question in a forum where people know about memory but are un-willing to answer your questions. Do not get me wrong, thank you for the suggestions of what ram I should go with but I wanted to know why. I would like to apologize if i did come by in my last post as being rude. That was not my intention.

Again thank you for the suggestion for telling to going with the TWIN2X4096-C5DHX. I will most likely to that. 90%

But i have yet another question.

If i get 2 (2X1GB) TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX will i be able to retain the 4-4-4-12 timing?

• Corsair Employee
If i get 2 (2X1GB) TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX will i be able to retain the 4-4-4-12 timing?

These are tested at those settings with one set so yes, but if you mean can you add to what you have now then I doubt it. With 4 modules on that MB DDR667 would be suggested and I would not suggest mixing memory on any MB.

These are tested at those settings with one set so yes, but if you mean can you add to what you have now then I doubt it. With 4 modules on that MB DDR667 would be suggested and I would not suggest mixing memory on any MB.

No way. I would never mix memory. Did that on a older machine i had and the results were not pleasant.

But just to clarify. NO adding to what i have now. A complete swap with 2 (2X1GB) TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX, meaning having 4GB of the TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX, will run at 4-4-4-12 timing having them set at DDR667.

Thank you again for the quick response

• Corsair Employee
Yes 4 modules TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX, should be ran at DDR667, and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts and you should be good to go. But I have seen some MB's that would just not run stable with 4 modules installed and why there is no guarantee with 4 up, sorry you just have to try it.

Yes 4 modules TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX, should be ran at DDR667, and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts and you should be good to go. But I have seen some MB's that would just not run stable with 4 modules installed and why there is no guarantee with 4 up, sorry you just have to try it.

Thank you very much for your help and for everyone else too.

And isn't the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX faster than the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX because the timing of the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX is 5-5-5-18 as opposed to the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX timming which is 4-4-4-12?
TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX doesn't exist, not on Corsair's parts page.

Also, it's not that people are unwilling to respond, it's that they may not have even seen your post yet. Our members are in various locations throughout the world, which is one of many reasons why it's against the rules to bump a thread within 24 hours.

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX doesn't exist, not on Corsair's parts page.

You are correct at that. I did not even notice that i put that in my first couple of posts.

Most of my questions have been answered and thank you very much for your help.

Before i buy the new ram, i have stumbled upon 4GB of corsair valued ram. I was using this in my old server and completely forgot about them. I am using those as a bench on how things are going to run on my set up before i make a final decision on what i want to do.

Everything is going very well except: things start to really slow down from time to time and than they pick back up. I have the VS1GB667D2 G sticks. The biggest problem is that it take at least 5-10 minutes to log into windows. I did not have this problem with my non-corsair 2GB 677 stick.

The bios to the P5W HD Deluxe is the latest version. What can be the problem?

Note: Ran Memtest for 6 hours and no errors

question #1

i had default timing from the p5w dh deluxe as follows

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay: 15

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 4

I changed those too

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5

DRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

Was that ok to do

question #2

when you say

set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts and see if that does not solve the problem.

what do you mean? I know that it is a motherboard setting. When i set the NB/MCH in the bios it will show as +.05 or am i adding that number to something?

Thank you for your help again

EDIT: Went into the bios and found what i need to change. But when i wanted to change the voltage to 2v as you suggested, the number turned red and a blue box appeared over it. Should i still set it to 2V any way and save the changes?

What is the part number of the memory you have and how many modules are installed?

These are the Corsair Value Select 2GB Memory Module Kit (two 1GB modules)

The Part number is VS2GBKIT667D2 G (PC2-5300). All four modules are installed for now. I might just go down to three modules if necessary.

I had the same dilemma, and eventually decided to take the risk. After some tweaking I run 4 modules of TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX at 800 with 4-4-4-12 timing on P5W DH DLX rev 1.03. FSB is 300. vMEM is 2.0. vMCH is 1.65

The system is being used 7x24 and is very stable. No issues since I got this memory, a couple of months now. That being said, quad prime 95 stress fails after ~12 hours (I have QX6700 QC). Memtest never failed.

BTW, folks here are right, you usually won't notice difference between CL5 and CL4 memory. 2x2G config is easier to overclock too. Still there are games/apps that will benefit a little bit from CL4 timing.

Hope this helps.

I would try and increase the Memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts and see if that does not solve the problem
Did you try that?

No i did not. Like i said when i try to turn up the voltage the voltage number from the bios turns red and a blue box appears over it. My voltage numbers in my bios would look like this 1.80, 1.90, 1.95, 2.00, 2.05, etc to 2.4

i do not know what you mean when you say set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts. I know where that is in my bios but what i am adding the +.05 to? The way this is set in my bios is like so: Default, 1.55, 1.60, 1.65.

To Ramfi: Will take a look at that. Thought i do not have a quad it just might work.

Archived