Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX & Asus Maximus issues

aj84

Hi all,

I was comfortably running Vista 32bit (Ultimate) for about a year with not single bsod or instability. At the time, I had 3 sticks of 1GB unbranded Nanya ram and 1 stick of 512 Nanya.

Stripped the memory out and bought 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX. Updated BIOS to the latest one, reset bios and left everything on default.

Plugged the memory in and it ran fine.

Windows 7 went in, ran a week without shutting down/issues/problems and then bang, bsod. Initially, it was bad_pool_caller, then went to Memory_Management and slowly, I was no longer able to boot in.

Formatted, reinstalled, same problem.

Went back to Vista 64bit on Saturday to test out, again, it ran for 2-3 days without issues and then this morning, bsod : PFL List Corrupt.

Ran Memtest and within seconds, I got errors, by 27%, I had 200+ errors across all 4 sticks it seems!

Thing is, last week when I ran memtest, no problems after 6 hours of running it!

So I reboot, rerun, same problem.

This time, I switched OFF the machine and turned it back on - memtest reports NO errors and Vista has booted up fine...

If anyone can shed any light, I would really appreciate it. I know it's a memory issue but I just can't pinpoint it to what it actually is. I know I will get a bsod in the next 4-5 hours and will continue to do so unless I switch the machine off again giving me another 6 hours or so of uptime.

If I put my old sticks in, no problems. I can't seem to test individual sticks as sometimes it could take a week before it starts bsoding.

Appreciate any help - especially if it is bad ram.

Thanks in advance

Hmm interesting, I've been reading on Asus FAQ now that I can finally get into it....

It talks about memory and bsods stating the operating voltage should be 1.8. From what I am finding on the corsair forums, the memory I have run at 2.1

Is lowering it worth a go?

Yes both are identical and were bought from the same re-seller etc.

I will confirm however for definite but I will have to do this when I get home - unless there are any memory utilities that can run under windows to identify? Reason I say this is I am remoted into it as we speak from work.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks RAM GUY

Just before you replied, I had a response on another forum to try out 6-6-6-18 with the voltage up to 2.0

Did this last night, ran memtest and fell asleep - woke up and it had successfully been running for 7 hours by the time I got to it with no errors and 5 passes.

Obviously I have seen this before so it could be a trick by the memory :- )

I also did not switch the machine off since I made the change and after memtest, booted back into vista via a soft reset. I will know hopefully in a few hours whether it will bsod or not as it seemed to have around a 12-14 hour uptime before it bsod previously.

Currently, I am happily using it via remote desktop from work so I will update.

Thanks again and I will keep your thread near the machine too just in-case it fails in which case I can try your suggestions out

hey, im experiencing kind of same problem, im using vista64 and sometimes i can play for hours without error but sometimes i had bsod and everything you mentioned, i dont know what to do. Please let us know how did you solve you problem, maybe i can solve mine!

thx

Well just as I thought my problems were over with this...the issue has re-occured potentially.

It might have been a one off but my gut feeling is its back!

The actual system uptime with the changes to 6-6-6-18 lasted 3 and a half days without any issues and the system remained on/in use for the full 3 days really.

Today however, I started getting a series of Desktop Manager errors, MSN stopped connected and so I decided to reboot.

On reboot, I got a IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL Bsod.

Rebooted once again and it did a restore of some sort (I think system restore to yesterday)

I went into BIOS soon after, and have now set it to DDR 667 from Auto as per your instructions so again, I'm back in Windows 7 but no idea for how long.

Given the frustrations...my thoughts are one or all of the following now...

If it re-occurs again...

1. Ditch Corsair and go for a unbranded brand again like I did previously with Nanya - there were no issues at all and the machine stayed on for months without reboots/issues. If I do this, I will put the deciding factor on the new RAM to be compatible with... (point 2)

2. Replace motherboard and CPU. I know the gfx/drives/case/ etc are ok

Let me know your thoughts

OK so I removed one stick - machine instantly booted in so that was good

Let me work on it all day yesterday and morning this morning but it bsod again with 3 sticks (6gb)

I guess I'll remove one more stick and see how it goes but it's looking more and more like the ram being the underlying issue

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is what I have been doing and believe it or not, I think I have finally found the culprit.

I have one more to test but what I did was basically remove a stick at a time - I was finally left with one stick of the 2GB and voila. even that bluescreened.

Thankfully, the recent BSODS have not been enough to criple the machine so I have been able to carry on testing without wasting a day reformatting.

I removed the first stick and put one of the other sticks in...Pass - no bsod in 3 days

Put a second stick in - pass no bsod in 3 days

I am about to put in the third stick - if this is fine too - and I assume it will be - then I have found the culprit.

If it does bluescreen, then it will most likely be both sticks as both the first stick and the final stick came in one pack, and the other two sticks were in another pack

In either case, is this something I can get replaced by Corsair?

The memory in question is

CM2X2048-6400C5DHX

XMS2-6400 2048MB 800MHz 5-5-5-18 1.80V Ver 1.2 09092549

All 4 sticks are identical

Thanks again for all your help - its amazing that as a experianced builder of PC's...you never want to accept what you would diagnose on any other PC apart from your own!

Makes sense especially given the headache this has caused

Is this something you can deal with or is there specific channels I need to go through?

Had a quick look at the stickies and didn't see anything obvious

Thanks again

And yes I did buy them in pairs

Thank you very much ramguy... I don't think I've seen support at this level EVER in all my years and in my role, I deal with a hell of a lot of suppliers on a daily basis so it's comforting knowing the level of support that a new small company would have is present in a large company!

I am filling in the form so hopefully we'll get it sorted soon.

Is there scope to replace with higher speed with me paying the difference to you?

Thanks again

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but no they can only be replaced with the same part that is sent in unless the parts are no longer available. But once you have the RMA number you are welcome to contact our customer service and see if there are any other options.

• 1 month later...

ram_guy, just to say a quick thanks for your help!

Repalcements took about 6 weeks which was annoying but my board died soon after so it wasnt too bad!

OK so the memory has not been tested as of yet!

Will this memory work fine on a P5Q-Premium (Asus) ?

I've just bought one and am hoping the two are going to be ok

Thanks

Archived