Corsair Community

AX850 problems in a Dell studio 540

KWilson

Hi

I installed a VX450 last year when I got my ATI 5770 and have never had issues. Works so good it caused me to stay with Corsair.

I purchased a AX850 along with my MSI Nividia 560.

I installed the AX850 (I have installed many PSU over the years) and it causes my Dell to not boot up, and just shows the amber light (meaning power supply issues). The fan kicks on, but nothing else.

I needed to remove the bios battery to get my old PSU to work again.

I bought at Newegg, but unfortunately I was out of town when the PSU arrived, and was past the RMA. I really needed a working PSU fast so I figured I would sort that out at a later date, and just ordered another AX850 from newegg. What a mistake that was.

It arrives, and the same thing happens. I quadruple checked my connections. Tried with both Video cards, tried with no video cards.

I had to work out of town again so, like last time I just didn't have time to get it sent back. Now I am out about 400 bucks and 2 AX850's that do not work.

Is there a issue with Dell Studio 540's (core 2 quad q8300) and the AX850? Can I have gotten 2 bad PSU? This is very frustrating to say the least.

I would like to return these, as I don't wish to have $400 worth of paperweights.

My opinion of Corsair has been shattered from this whole fiasco, as my PC is my home studio, and business computer. I need to get this upgraded.

I would be most happy if I can get one replaced/working and refunded for the other.

I hope to buy Corsair in the future. The result of this situation will dictate this.

Hope to get some help.

The problem lies with the computer and PSU ATX12v power spec. The older dell you have uses ATX2.0 and the AX850 is ATX12v 2.31 and backwards to 2.01.

You will have to find a PSU that will use that earlier ATX spec.

Budget Dells are hard to keep upgrading. You can only take them so far before you hit a wall with them. I quit bying them for that very reason.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

This is in my PC now. It has the same 2.2 and 2.01 listing and it works great in my dell.

"Supports the latest ATX12V v2.2 and is backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01 systems."-VX450w

"Supports the latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards and is backward compatible with ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 systems"-ax850

The VX says nothing about what you list as 2.0 and my mobo has never had issue.

Sorry i got that information from Dells support forums. I do know that some of the older Dells will not use a standard ATX power supply. We've seen it here a few time. Especially if you have one of the slim cases.

I would wait for RamGuy to give his assessment. But i can't see you getting two power supplys that both are doing the same thing.

Have you tried the papaerclip test?

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991

• Corsair Employee
Actually it looks like that system was about the time that the ATX Spec was ATX 2.03 and The AX series PSU's are all ATX 2.3 Spec and backwards compatible to ATX 2.1 Spec so it may be a specification issue. Not to mention Dell is notorious for using custom specifications for PSU's I would see if you can send it back and purchase one from Dell to be sure its compatible.

It is not a slim tower. It also just under a year old.

I got this, in hopes this will work. I do need to return those ax850, they both just don't work with my setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

My time is limited and I have not even got a response from my RMA. I NEED my studio PC upgraded. It is literally my studio (I work in audio/video).

I debated going with Corsair, but I will work with them in hopes I am not out $400 on these PSU.

I am not going SLI with my Nvidia 560, so the AX850 were overkill incase I wanted to upgrade the GPU again later on. The 650 will be more then enough for that card.

I would just like to get refunded for these AX850 siting in their boxes. I wish it was a bit more clear what those AX850 are not compatible with, because my 450 lists the SAME compatibility

Newegg only RMA up to 30 days. I work out of state and could not remedy this until I got back in town.

Got a annoying response from the RMA dep. Guy is telling me no Corsair PSU will work with my PC.

Considering I Just installed a TX650w Corsair replacing my VT450 Corsair, I found it hard not to get angry at the customer service so far.

Just makes me think 1 of 2 things.

1. he is bullshi**ing me

or

2. he does not know much about his own products.

I went with Corsair because I thought I would be taken care of with their warranty.

If Corsair expects me to be stuck with 2 top end AX850 that do not work with my system when they clearly state they are compatable with the same spec the VT and TX are, we have a problem.

I went with Corsair because I thought I would be taken care of with their warranty.

If Corsair expects me to be stuck with 2 top end AX850 that do not work with my system when they clearly state they are compatable with the same spec the VT and TX are, we have a problem.

KWilson,

You would have been , if there were an actual problem with the PSU itself. Incompatibility is not their fault. I find it weird that you are so willing to be ticked off at corsair because their PSU's dont work with most dell's instead of being ticked off at Dell for using non-standard components in their system. I do understand that your individual system may not be that old but the components that make up your dell are.

Here is another person. They got the same response as to upgrading their PSU in the same machine. And a different forum all together.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259296-33-help-power-supply-dell-studio-slim-desktop-geforce-9600

Is there any chance you can post where it says the AX850 is compatible with your Dell? The PSU finder does not allow you to choose OEM manufacturers , but list suitable PSU's based on standard components. And most Dell's are made from proprietary components.

I'm not trying to throw fuel on the fire ,just trying to understand where this becomes Corsairs fault.

THEY LIST THE SAME COMPATIBILITY STATS!

My dell works fine with the same spec 2.2 VT and TX series.

Again the AX says it is backwards compatible with the same listing that the TX and VT series state.

If it listed it was NOT I would NOT have purchased it.

Archived