Corsair Community

Great Headset Except One Big Problem

Shahal

First off, I'd like to say this is a great headset. Sounds great in game. Mic sounds great to everyone else. Music and movies sound good as well.

Now the problem I've run into makes me want to return the headset despite my earlier compliments. Anytime I watch any embedded videos in my internet browser, whether it be YouTube or any other video, I get the most awful popping sounds. It makes watching any video online completely unbearable. It also makes the same popping sounds whenever Windows itself makes sounds, like when I log in, shut down or get an error. It doesn't make the popping noise during any other audio activity. Just when I watch videos on my internet browser or when Windows makes sounds which makes this so annoying to diagnose.

I have played with all the settings I could find whether in the Corsair software or the Windows audio settings. Nothing helps. Also it doesn't make the popping noise on any other set of speakers or headset so it's directly related to the Corsair HS1. Is there anything I can do to fix this? If there is not, I would really like to return these. It makes absolutely no sense that the audio is so bad in the headset with online videos and not anywhere else.

• Corsair Employee
Different types of Audio files my react differently to the Audio settings, in the Corsair HDS1 application how do you have the Audio setting set? Example do you have Dolby and 7.1 Audio selected or just normal Audio?

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing really?

Now I have a new problem on top of the awful popping. Now the left and right audio channels are randomly swapping. Audio that should come from the left is now coming from the right and vice versa randomly. If I change the audio mode it corrects itself but that's just another annoyance with this headset I don't feel like dealing with. Is there any way of returning these and getting my money back? Or possibly swapping them out for the new HS1a?

• Corsair Employee
Shahal are you able to duplicate the same issues on any other systems? This should help us figure out if the headset itself is defective or if the HS1 driver may be conflicting with some other software/drivers on your system.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on this situation. The headset does not crackle or pop at all without Corsair's drivers installed. Fresh install of my OS earlier today and no distortion at all with Windows generic USB audio drivers.

Seriously is there a way I can get these replaced with the analog version?

It seems that a lot of user under win 7 x64 have this problem (like me).

If corsair don't change your headset you can try to put a dedicated usb card in your pc and connect headset to it.

For me and other user this solved the problem.

Read the other threads to know more about this.

It seems that a lot of user under win 7 x64 have this problem (like me).

If corsair don't change your headset you can try to put a dedicated usb card in your pc and connect headset to it.

For me and other user this solved the problem.

Read the other threads to know more about this.

Seriously. You should not recommend such a thing, why spend money just to get one product working? And perhaps, it may not work for everyone.

It would be wiser to spend the same amount you spent on the headset on a proper soundcard and a frikkin 30$ headset and you'll get better sound than with the built in USB one (HS1). And an extra USB soundcard wont be of any use because the HS1 already has one, it would be like using two at the same time, which is pretty dumb and would probably have negative effect.

Corsair either have issues with motherboard manufacturers, or windows 7.

Seriously. You should not recommend such a thing, why spend money just to get one product working? And perhaps, it may not work for everyone.

It would be wiser to spend the same amount you spent on the headset on a proper soundcard and a frikkin 30$ headset and you'll get better sound than with the built in USB one (HS1). And an extra USB soundcard wont be of any use because the HS1 already has one, it would be like using two at the same time, which is pretty dumb and would probably have negative effect.

Corsair either have issues with motherboard manufacturers, or windows 7.

I never speaked about an additional usb soundcard, I'm speaking about an additional usb controller.

There are only two solution at the moment for the crackling sound: 1 try to change the hs1 with the hs1a, 2 buy a pci/piciex usb card.

the best solution would be a driver update (or firmware), but this depends by corsair

p.s. hs1a and frikkin 30$ headset doesn't have dolby headphone, so they aren't good alternative for some users.

An usb 2.0 card costs around 4$, less than the shipment for an RMA (if it isn't free)

I have problems with the drivers too. Whenever they're installed I can hear background squealing and I get a lot of crackling. Not a single problem with the Windows drivers. Whoever wrote the drivers for the HS1 REALLY dropped the ball. In fact, when they dropped it, it popped.

I never speaked about an additional usb soundcard, I'm speaking about an additional usb controller.

There are only two solution at the moment for the crackling sound: 1 try to change the hs1 with the hs1a, 2 buy a pci/piciex usb card.

the best solution would be a driver update (or firmware), but this depends by corsair

p.s. hs1a and frikkin 30$ headset doesn't have dolby headphone, so they aren't good alternative for some users.

An usb 2.0 card costs around 4$, less than the shipment for an RMA (if it isn't free)

I am currently waiting for my HS1A and Xonar DX soundcard (it has the very same dolby features as the HS1's built in card) and at the same time, plenty of times better quality sound. And more features too.

If my HS1A does not sound better than my Fatal1ty then I will ditch Corsair completely for all their products other than their Powersupplies.

They have terrible software support and really need to do something about it, they also need to do something about this official forum.. I bet they reject a couple hundred posts daily because they mention another brand or company, or perhaps something negative about their product(s).

Negative Publicity is better than none at all.

Corsair is just becoming too big for their own good, really.

they also need to do something about this official forum.
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

I bet they reject a couple hundred posts daily because they mention another brand or company, or perhaps something negative about their product(s).
Yeah, not constructive :( The filter covers mentions of other companies, and you can certainly find negative posts on the forum.

Having said that, please stay on topic. This thread was created by Shahal for help with their issue.

Shahal: Talk to customer service regarding your request to swap with an alternate product.

Archived