Corsair Community

Vs512mb400

norcalnicca

I have a Asus A7N8X-LA (although Technically Compaq) motherboard and I am running two VS512MB400 chips and instantly my computer becomes extremely unstable. I have tried new drivers, reinstalling windows etc etc etc..... and have come to the conclusion it is the ram because when I take the RAM out and replace it with the old ram (512 MB PC 2700) I have no problems. Now understand, I do know my motherboard requires PC 2700 and not PC 3200. I have a friend with the same exact system I have and when upgraded with PC 3200 it simply runs the ram at PC 2700 speed with no instability issues. My computer recognizes the full 1024MB of RAM and I have tried 4 other Pentium 4 Based Motherboards and 2 other Athlon XP based motherboards and I ran into the same issuse. The reason I bought this ram instead is because I will be building a new system, soon enough anyways. Please help..........

I dunno, tried each stick, one by one in both slots and my computer would not actually boot into windows and in combination of one Corsair stick and one OEM stick, the computer would boot into windows and after opening a program, the computer would crash immediately, what to do?

• Corsair Employee

To properly figure out if the problem is the memory or not, you should run memtest and inform me of the results.

Here are the directions you can use to run memtest:

1. Head over to http://www.memtest.org

2. Click on the link labeled "Download (Pre-built & ISOs)"

3. Next click on the link labeled "Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)"

4. Download the software and Unzip the program files

5. Make sure a floppy disk is inserted

6. Run the program, when it asks which drive letter type in "a:"

7. Program should finish writing, reboot off floppy disk

8. Allow memtest to run 2-3 passes

I hope these instructions help you! Please let me know what happens!

I know those are the correct settings, but it does not correct my system beeing very unstable......................... ANywho, RamGuy, everything seems to be stable right now, so I am going to try to performing heavy work loads over the next few days to see if the instability returns, thanks, give you some feedback soon enough.

Archived