Corsair Community

GS600 2013 Edition Fan Issue

azbondz

I just bought a GS600 psu. It seem that the fan didnt spin. After power on its spin for 3 to 4 seconds and stops. Does this normal? When I searching for info on it box it show a graph of fan noise(decibels) vs system load(watts) and from 0%-20% of system load the fan noise is 0. does this mean that the fan wont spin betwwen 0%-20% of the system load? however when I search the forum, I found this thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=102884 which have the same problem like me and one of the respond said that "the fan should always spin up on the GS600". But this thread is on early 2012 and mine is 2013 edition. So help me confirm this please. Does the fan should always spin on the GS600? Cause if yes I need to have it rma for replacement.

Thank you.

I just bought a GS600 psu. It seem that the fan didnt spin. After power on its spin for 3 to 4 seconds and stops

This is normal! The fan will spin at full speed at BOOT and then stop until it is needed. Then it would be a combination of temps and load that determines when the fan spins.

Run prime95 and furmark a the same time and that should get the fan spinning and then should then stop again once those programs are stopped and the PSU cools.

I found this thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=102884 which have the same problem like me and one of the respond said that "the fan should always spin up on the GS600".

This was the old model and does not apply to the new 2013 editions.

this is the video of the sound that I heard. Since I recorded it using my old sony ericsson you need to maximum your audio volume to heard it. sorry for that.

at 0.27-0.31 and 1.35-1.43 is when the fan start to spin.

when I recorded this, I open google chrome with multiple tab (20++) and run DOTA 2 game with high gameplay setting. And I'm also a dual monitor user. Arent this should make the fan spin?

thank you.

i requested a RMA and got a new gs700 2013 edition. 2013 edition doesn't have the old problem but it has a other little problem. when the fan starts to spin it makes noise just a few seconds then returns to normal. and when it's stopping it makes a slight mechanic noise like rattling.

when I recorded this, I open google chrome with multiple tab (20++) and run DOTA 2 game with high gameplay setting. And I'm also a dual monitor user. Arent this should make the fan spin?

Not neccessarily! I would run prime 95 and furmark both at the same time to really stress the system and that should get the fnan to spin.

Systems today just dont react like systems of days gone by. Being more efficient and not so power hungry it just opening tabs is hardly any strain at all on a system. You can see this by opening the system monitor and watch your CPU usage. Even games at high settings with a good efficient GPU will not stress the system much either anymore.

It's just a mindset that is hard to change when compared to systems a few years ago

i requested a RMA and got a new gs700 2013 edition. 2013 edition doesn't have the old problem but it has a other little problem. when the fan starts to spin it makes noise just a few seconds then returns to normal. and when it's stopping it makes a slight mechanic noise like rattling.

yepp..the same problem with my psu.

when the fan starts to spin it makes noise just a few seconds then returns to normal. and when it's stopping it makes a slight mechanic noise like rattling.

I'm having this issue....after a spin cycle when it stops it'll make a vibrating kind of noise...looking at it, it appears to try to rotate backwards or like something is keeping it from moving forward....wrote Corsair about it....didn't know till now it might be a common problem.....damn.:mad:

• Corsair Employee
If the fans spins then stops and somehow it would look like that it is going to spin again - That is perfectly normal even under small amount of load. The reason is, to exhaust hot air from the PSU, so typically you will see that fan spins briefly then stops from time to time. BUT while the fan is in that state and it produces a noise that is louder than any case fans while the side panel is closed, then that unit will need to be replaced.

• Corsair Employee
...guess I'll have to replace it then....but I cut the barcode off the box and already sent it in for a rebate. Can I still have it replaced?

That is totally fine. Just make sure to include all the cables that came with it. You can use any box you prefer, but of course make sure the PSU is properly padded.

Archived