Corsair Community

Current/wattage requirement for the TWINX2048-4400PRO?

Clint H.

Well I just posted this minutes ago, and the post disappeared. I submitted it, saw it, but it never showed up on the forum page!

Can anyone possibly tell me please what the current/wattage requirement is for the TWINX2048-4400PRO modules? That's 2x1gb w/LED's.

I need to get a new PSU and I'm concerned that 25A on the 3.3v rail isn't enough (ST50EF-Plus). I seem to have had some issues with PSU's with less than 30A on the 3.3v rail with these sticks. I say that because the PSU's I tested that were less than 30A got MemTest and WMD errors & lockups. Now that could be attributed to something else, but I can't be sure. I've also seen some comments about PSU's in the 25A range like "may not be enough for some memory" and things like that.

Thanks.

I need to clarify something in case someone thinks I think memory needs ~25A of current...I don't think that. What I need to know is on my platform, I have reason to believe that less than 30A on the 3.3v rail is not enough with this memory, but it WAS enough for my PREVIOUS 2x512mb DC kit. So if someone can tell me the current (amperage) requirement for this memory, that would help, or, how much more current does it draw than a typical 2x512mb DC kit.

Its about 12 watts per module at DDR400 or about 3-4 amps per module, with these modules the percenatge of over clock would be related to the amount of extra power you would need to run them at the tested settings!

Thanks for replying. So, with DDR550 what would that mean? These are DDR550 modules running at DDR550/275mhz. Is 25A on the 3.3v rail enough?

Thanks.

The PSU you have listed should be enough, but the CPU's you have may not be able to run at above 220-230 Mhz!

I'm not sure where you get anything about my CPU and 220-230mhz. I already have the memory, I thought that was clear. My CPU can do 288mhz, and is doing now 275mhz with this memory (see my "PC specs" info). Like I said, I need to get a new PSU and I need to know if that PSU ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/Element500/ ) with 25A on the 3.3v rail is enough with this memory. Please my original post again.

Thanks.

Clint

Yes, thats enough for the memory but what about the rest of the system?

I would suggest our HX520W for that system.

Well I don't know, that's why I'm asking here. ;): I know just a few amps are enough for memory, but we're talking of course about a complete PC with other hardware that uses the 3.3v rail. I can't find out just how much current my PC or any typical PC for that matter consumes/requires on the 3.3v line. If you don't know if that PSU will work with my entire PC, then I guess no one will know. Has Corsair ever used any of this memory on a PSU in a complete computer that has less than 30A on the 3.3v? Can you please check into that? You know all the hardware I use. To my knowledge the only thing that uses 3.3v is the mobo, which of course includes the memory, but I don't know if that also includes part of the AGP slot since I've heard it draws from the 5v AND/or the 3.3v. My card is the AIW 9800Pro (set to 1.6v), I don't use any PCI cards and the mobo has integrated audio and Intel Gigabit LAN of which both I use. My CPU (Vcore) is 1.585-1.6v.

I looked at the Corsair 620w and 520w models. The 620w is pretty expensive (about $55 more than the ST50EF-Plus), both have only 24A on the 3.3v line which is 1A less than the ST50EF.

I saw a great review on the 620w here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/HX620W/index2.htm (only .5 lower than the ST50EF), but he said: "I'll be doing a review of the HX520W. Now that I know how the rails are split up, I'll make sure to load it up properly. Once that is done, I'll revisit the 620W." And I've been waiting on the 520w review and the revisit. So the review may change (and maybe for the worse) after he retests the 620w, and he's abandoned his website! Home page has been removed and rumor is someone pi$$ed him off about his site so he left it!

The Corsair 520w may be cutting it a bit close depending on how its rated--whether that is continuous or peak maximum, because my PC to the best of my calculations requires a 490w-520w PSU. The one I use now is 550w continuous, about 650w max.

I forgot to say that I didn't quite like the way the Corsair PSU's rails are split, it's very unconventional.

"According to a rep at Corsair, both the CPU and main ATX are on the same rail. The other two rails split up the duty of the PCI-e connectors and the peripheral connectors. You can see this division when you look at the back of the modular PCB."

Why would the CPU and mobo be on the same rail? That defeats the purpose of dual/multi-rail PSU, which are supposed to be more stable because the CPU has its own rail.

I also can't understand how both the 520w & 620w each have 18A on each of the three 12v rails, yet the 520w shows only 480w max for the 12v rails and the 620w shows 600w for the 12v rails! 18A @12v is 216w X 3 rails is (in the case of PSU's) theoretically 648w, so 600w max for the 12v rails for the 620w is quite good since it appears the 620w unit is doing more "combining" of each of the 18A rails. Is this why the discrepancy of 480w Vs 600w when dealing with the same amperage?

• Corsair Employee
The PSU's can provide up to 18 Amps per rail (actually a bit more) up to a max of 480Watts on the combined 12 Volt Rail for HX520W and a max of 600Watts for the HX620W. The PSU's are actually underrated and will put out more than we say. I will ask Power Guy to elaborate a bit more!

• Corsair Employee

Why would the CPU and mobo be on the same rail? That defeats the purpose of dual/multi-rail PSU, which are supposed to be more stable because the CPU has its own rail.

Actually the purpose of the multiple rails was just to separate the Video cards from the CPU. The +12V rails are the only ones that are split, and the most power hungry devices that require +12V are the CPU and the Video cards. If you have a large number of hard drives (4 or more) that can also present a significant draw on startup.

If you're curious about rail split, check here:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52911

One other thing, you'll be glad to note that the +12V rails have an overload circuit that's set particularly high so that it's nearly impossible to overload a single rail, as it will just borrow power from the other rails if necessary.

Your system, if it's the one in your specs, requires some good power, but not necessarily a lot of it. Just a very stable and clean PSU.

I also can't understand how both the 520w & 620w each have 18A on each of the three 12v rails, yet the 520w shows only 480w max for the 12v rails and the 620w shows 600w for the 12v rails! 18A @12v is 216w X 3 rails is (in the case of PSU's) theoretically 648w, so 600w max for the 12v rails for the 620w is quite good since it appears the 620w unit is doing more "combining" of each of the 18A rails. Is this why the discrepancy of 480w Vs 600w when dealing with the same amperage?

Because the rails are rated individually AND combined. Each rail can handle 18A. (Actually, quite a bit more, but that's our rating officially) but all three rails combined can't handle 18A each necessarily. All multi-rail PSUs are rated this way, each rail is rated individually and then again, combined.

The PSU's can provide up to 18 Amps per rail (actually a bit more) up to a max of 480Watts on the combined 12 Volt Rail for HX520W and a max of 600Watts for the HX620W. The PSU's are actually underrated and will put out more than we say. I will ask Power Guy to elaborate a bit more!

RAM Guy and Power Guy: Yeah....I know that, that's just what I said. ;): But my question on that was they both have 3x 12V rails @18A each and the 520w states 480w on the 12V and the 620w states 600w on the 12V. Why is it different? Yes I know the 620w is of course larger than the 520w, more wattage. But we're talking here ONLY about the 3x 12v rails. If one PSU has the exact same amps on the 12v rails compared to another, how can they have different combined wattage totals on these rails when the voltage and current is the same?

(I edited that last line, so the email notifications are not going to show my edit).

Thanks.

Actually the purpose of the multiple rails was just to separate the Video cards from the CPU. The +12V rails are the only ones that are split, and the most power hungry devices that require +12V are the CPU and the Video cards. If you have a large number of hard drives (4 or more) that can also present a significant draw on startup.

If you're curious about rail split, check here:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52911

One other thing, you'll be glad to note that the +12V rails have an overload circuit that's set particularly high so that it's nearly impossible to overload a single rail, as it will just borrow power from the other rails if necessary.

Your system, if it's the one in your specs, requires some good power, but not necessarily a lot of it. Just a very stable and clean PSU.

Because the rails are rated individually AND combined. Each rail can handle 18A. (Actually, quite a bit more, but that's our rating officially) but all three rails combined can't handle 18A each necessarily. All multi-rail PSUs are rated this way, each rail is rated individually and then again, combined.

How do you think the review here would change after he retests it?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/HX620W/index2.htm : ".....Now that I know how the rails are split up, I'll make sure to load it up properly. Once that is done, I'll revisit the 620W."

I don't think I'm any closer to determining my original question. :confused: So do you think a PS with 24-25A on the 3.3v rail like the ST50EF-Plus or one of the Corsair units will work for me?

• Corsair Employee
If one PSU has the exact same amps on the 12v rails compared to another, how can they have different combined wattage totals on these rails when the voltage and current is the same?

Because they aren't the exact same amps on the +12V rails.

Individually, each +12V rail on each HX PSU (both the 520 and the 620) can handle 18A.

However, that's their standalone amperage rating. If the first is at 18A, and the second is at 18A, you're right around 432W of power. That means on the 520W PSU you'll have about 3A left on the 3rd +12V rail (or ~50W) and on the 620W PSU you'll have 15A left on the 3rd +12V rail (or ~170W).

The power supply is designed with this spec in mind from the get go, in order to balance power production across the rails.

What's important in a PSU is the TOTAL OUTPUT OF THE +12V RAILS COMBINED.

For example, you might go buy another manufacturer's PSU with 4 +12V rails, each rated at 15A. That looks like it would be 60A of power, or 720W on the +12V rails alone, right?

But the combined rating of the +12V rails is only 480W. So while that PSU looks pretty powerful when you look at the +12V rails individually, combined they're not as powerful as they look. The important thing is the MAX COMBINED WATTAGE.

Here's a graph from our page:

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/images/WEB_PS_3-TABLE.gif

You'll notice under the +12V rails it has the max combined wattage. That's the important part.

Because they aren't the exact same amps on the +12V rails.

Individually, each +12V rail on each HX PSU (both the 520 and the 620) can handle 18A.

However, that's their standalone amperage rating. If the first is at 18A, and the second is at 18A, you're right around 432W of power. That means on the 520W PSU you'll have about 3A left on the 3rd +12V rail (or ~50W) and on the 620W PSU you'll have 15A left on the 3rd +12V rail (or ~170W).

The power supply is designed with this spec in mind from the get go, in order to balance power production across the rails.

What's important in a PSU is the TOTAL OUTPUT OF THE +12V RAILS COMBINED.

For example, you might go buy another manufacturer's PSU with 4 +12V rails, each rated at 15A. That looks like it would be 60A of power, or 720W on the +12V rails alone, right?

But the combined rating of the +12V rails is only 480W. So while that PSU looks pretty powerful when you look at the +12V rails individually, combined they're not as powerful as they look. The important thing is the MAX COMBINED WATTAGE.

Here's a graph from our page:

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/images/WEB_PS_3-TABLE.gif

You'll notice under the +12V rails it has the max combined wattage. That's the important part.

"For example, you might go buy another manufacturer's PSU with 4 +12V rails, each rated at 15A. That looks like it would be 60A of power, or 720W on the +12V rails alone, right?"

No, I never thought that. ;): I saw the image, that's what I've been referring to, and I still don't understand why both the 520 & 620 shows "18A 18A 18A" and the 520 shows 480 watts, and the 620 shows 600 watts since these rails on both PSU's are identical. Unless, for some reason the 620w can just (obviously) handle more combined wattage, but HOW and WHY can it do this? You say: "Because they aren't the exact same amps on the +12V rails", but they ARE, at 18A for each PSU. If they are not the same, then why does Corsair label them @18A each for each PSU? :confused: :confused:

Anyway, I'm more concerned with this, can you answer this please?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/HX620W/index2.htm : ".....Now that I know how the rails are split up, I'll make sure to load it up properly. Once that is done, I'll revisit the 620W."

I don't think I'm any closer to determining my original question. :confused: So do you think a PS with 24-25A on the 3.3v rail like the ST50EF-Plus or one of the Corsair units will work for me?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

Clint,

Power Guy has answered your question about how the 12 Volts rails are loaded. I am sorry it’s hard for you to catch. The Max output is more for the HX620W than the HX520W, but all of the single rails are rated at a max of 18 Amps per rail. If you still have questions you are welcome to call us and we will be happy to help you 800-205-7657.

I don't think I'm any closer to determining my original question. So do you think a PS with 24-25A on the 3.3v rail like the ST50EF-Plus or one of the Corsair units will work for me?

That type of question is hard to answer because it’s very general and the question is relative to other things that may or may not have an effect on the answer.

It’s like asking if a VW Bug will work for me. Well it might but there are other bits of information that would be needed to know for sure

Clint,

Power Guy has answered your question about how the 12 Volts rails are loaded. I am sorry it’s hard for you to catch. The Max output is more for the HX620W than the HX520W, but all of the single rails are rated at a max of 18 Amps per rail. If you still have questions you are welcome to call us and we will be happy to help you 800-205-7657.

Like I said:

Anyway, I'm more concerned with this, can you answer this please?

Since no one will address that after asking 3 times, I guess I'll get the Silverstone.

That type of question is hard to answer because it’s very general and the question is relative to other things that may or may not have an effect on the answer.

It’s like asking if a VW Bug will work for me. Well it might but there are other bits of information that would be needed to know for sure.

Well that's apples to oranges, you know all about my PC setup. WHAT "other bits" of information do you need, THAT is what I've been trying to determine. I stated previously: "Has Corsair ever used any of this memory on a PSU in a complete computer that has less than 30A on the 3.3v? Can you please check into that?" No one will address that.

Plus: "You know all the hardware I use. To my knowledge the only thing that uses 3.3v is the mobo (and CPU?), which of course includes the memory, but I don't know if that also includes part of the AGP slot since I've heard it draws from the 5v AND/or the 3.3v. My card is the AIW 9800Pro (set to 1.6v), I don't use any PCI cards and the mobo has integrated audio and Intel Gigabit LAN of which both I use. My CPU (Vcore) is 1.585-1.6v."

I don't know what other information you need, and, without you asking me. I'm using Corsair memory, and this is the only place that can help me.

• Corsair Employee

Clint,

I have contacted JonnyGuru about the post and here is what he has to say:

jonnyGURU says:

Re: 13:39 (like to HouseOfHelp) I don't feel I need to "revisit" the 620W review because as it was I put a load at the end of each connector. So whether the PSU has one or six 12V rails, doesn't matter. The load will still be the same. What would be different is at the ends of what connectors I'm reading voltages from, but since the voltages are within .02V going from rail to rail, I seriously doubt that doing the test again would render significantly different results.

"Has Corsair ever used any of this memory on a PSU in a complete computer that has less than 30A on the 3.3v? Can you please check into that?"

I don’t think it should have any problems at all.

And the MB maker you use may vary the way the power is used or what is actually using the 3.3 Volt rail, most PCI cards will use the 3.3 Volt rail for power and some AGP cards but not all. Most of the components on the MB will use either 3.3 or 5 Volts for power. You would need to contact the respective MB maker to know for sure.

If the system configuration that you have in your profile is what you will use the HX520W will be more than enough for that system in fact a bit of over kill perhaps but will leave you room for future upgrades.

Archived