Corsair Community

k70 RGB USB Passthrough driver

wolfish426

This keyboard doesn't have USB passthrough, there are no usb ports on it.

Not completely true.

The passthrough is used by the light controller, from what I gathered.

But it is there.

And if you check the forums, Corsair staff still talks bout connecting passthrough connector before connecting the keyboard usb connector. (Or I am very good at imagining things. :p: )

Now, for the SM Bus Controller problem, maybe you should check the following link if you have an Intel chipset (which I think you do, but I prefer warning before): http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/CS-013541.htm

Hopefully, it will help.

The passthrough USB connector is only for power (which is why there is no device ID associated with it). We want you to connect the power USB first, and the keyboard USB second so it will use both USB ports for power accordingly.

Are there any plans in future models/releases K95 RGB to include a USB passthrough? This was a great feature of the K70 and K95 which is sorely missed.

• Corsair Employee
Are there any plans in future models/releases K95 RGB to include a USB passthrough? This was a great feature of the K70 and K95 which is sorely missed.

I'll pass your feedback along! It seems a lot of people did like the USB Pass-Through. Would you all be okay with a keyboard that had *3* USB connectors?

I'll pass your feedback along! It seems a lot of people did like the USB Pass-Through. Would you all be okay with a keyboard that had *3* USB connectors?

Well. I will OK with this. In any case, I need to use third USB port for external USB hub now.

BTW, *rival_product* have only 2 connectors, USB Pass-Through and RGB backlight. =)

Well. I will OK with this. In any case, I need to use third USB port for external USB hub now.

BTW, *rival_product* have only 2 connectors, USB Pass-Through and RGB backlight. =)

Exactly other products have 2 USB and still passthrough. Alternatively I suppose i would be okay with 3 USB or a power supply plug...and 2. I'm assuming you need both to send enough power to get the keys the brightest ? I'm also assumint that this would make the keyboard more expensive. Alternatively I would be happy with a great mouse like the M95/M65 in a wireless form with long charging life to use all day. This would also resolve my needs for the pass through system.

• Corsair Employee

One of the reasons why our LED require more power (in comparison to other manufacturers) is that we're using very high quality LED due to how we designed the keyboard to work with the new Cherry MX RGB key switch. For the other RGB implementations, they don't require as bright LEDs and therefore need less power. The consequence of these designs though require a completely different switch that isn't Cherry.

I am getting a unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed) when i plug in the passthrough usb cable(for the extra power).

i plugged it in 1st before the usb for the keyboard

doesnt make any difference

i am using windows 8.1

i do hope corsair can come up with a driver to resolved this issue

thank you

Where are the passthrough drivers? Ive tried all the USB slots and they won't get resolved.

picture

My guess is that you have a Z87 chipset motherboard. I had the same problem as you and from looking at the forums, this keyboard has an issues with USB controllers that are on Z87 and Z97 chipsets.

I resolved my problem by buying a pci express usb board for $15. Now all my issues that I had with this keyboard are gone.

Untitled.jpg.cfb500504faf408dfeb5117a9a271c69.jpg

well i bought this one.

http://www.centralcomputers.com/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=83320&czuid=1411844653187

only one they had at this store for the 20 dollar price range the rest where 80 +

and guess its not compatible with windows 8.1 lol

i am going to email the company and wait till monday to see if they have a driver or something.

man i just want my keyboard to work the way its suppose to so bad.

My guess is that you have a Z87 chipset motherboard. I had the same problem as you and from looking at the forums, this keyboard has an issues with USB controllers that are on Z87 and Z97 chipsets.
I have the problem and an H87 chipset. But isn't it enough to just use the main connector with a USB 3 jack?

well i bought this one.

http://www.centralcomputers.com/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=83320&czuid=1411844653187

only one they had at this store for the 20 dollar price range the rest where 80

and guess its not compatible with windows 8.1 lol

i am going to email the company and wait till monday to see if they have a driver or something.

man i just want my keyboard to work the way its suppose to so bad.

Is this any help?

http://www.st-lab.com/products-5.asp?keyid=bu13

No, the power connector seems absolutely pointless. I've used my K70 RGB with only the main connector on several machines now and it works A-OK without the second useless plug. I've yet to see a USB port that couldn't be overdrawn on any PC I've come across, modern phones overdraw all the time if you use a fast-charging cable or a modified kernel with fast charge support. Pulling 1A from a single USB port is just fine for more PCs than it is not fine for anyways, so why not just ship a Y-adapter and use a single plug. The people who are unfortunate enough to have PCs that don't provide 1A over a single port can use the Y-adapter to split the cable and yet we can still have the second port for a USB passthrough. It's the big thing I miss from my non-RGB K70.

Archived