Corsair Community

Vengeance 2000 setup is killing my onboard audio?

Scorpion49

So I bought the Vengeance 2000 wireless headset a few weeks ago, and promptly rushed home and plugged it in and installed the drivers. The sound is "meh" with the surround mode on, but good when bypassed. Unfortunately its very hot in my apartment so I wanted to use my earbuds for a little while because the big fluffy pads are hot.

I plugged my earbuds in to the speaker port, and nothing happened. The board refused to detect them, and the option to set that as default remained grayed out (board in question was an Asus P9X79 Pro). I uninstalled the drivers and rebooted, still nothing. I re-installed the Asus sound drivers, nothing. Tried it with several other sets of headphones and speakers, still nothing. Re-flashing the BIOS finally got the ports to work, but the only sound that came out was a high pitched squealing noise and I was forced to RMA the board.

Fast forward a few days, and I'm using my backup machine which is a Rampage III Extreme, working perfectly with my old 2.1 speakers and a set of sony headphones, plug the Corsair Vengeance 2000 in and install, lo and behold THE SAME THING HAPPENS. My onboard audio is gone again!

Can anyone suggest anything? I'm about to toss these $150 headphones in the dumpster because I can't really tolerate my onboard audio being killed just because I wanted wireless. I'm currently uninstalling the Corsair software/drivers and trying to figure out how to get my sound back, hopefully without RMA'ing the board this time.

EDIT: Confirmed that at least port detection is dead, I have no idea how the Corsair Hardware/Software is doing this. I had to install a spare sound blaster card I had to get audio back.

The Vengeance 2000 Drivers should not be killing your On-board audio.

Have a look at the Playback tab, Is the on-board audio listed there?

Control Panel > Sound > "Playback tab"

Also check Device Manager, Is there a error icon next to the On-Board Audio driver?

On-board is listed but grayed out, unable to be selected. It seems to be specifically affecting the ports ability to detect jacks plugged into it.

I just did an experiment by plugging in and installing the drivers while using the SB X-Fi and it did the same thing to that, no port detection. I was able to fix that by removing the card, rebooting, and then re-installing the card though.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS

Uninstall your Vengeance 2000 drivers, Your sound card drivers.

Shutdown your computer.

Reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery or by shorting the jumpers.

Turn your computer on.

See if the On-Board Audio detects your device.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS

Uninstall your Vengeance 2000 drivers, Your sound card drivers.

Shutdown your computer.

Reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery or by shorting the jumpers.

Turn your computer on.

See if the On-Board Audio detects your device.

The first board this happened on (the X79) is already in RMA. What is happening goes beyond these basic trouble shooting steps apparently, I tried all of this and nothing helped.

Can you also provide a screenshot of your playback devices? Also, which audio jacks are you using: rear IO panel or front IO panel for your case?

I am using rear I/O panel only, I removed the front panel header to isolate that. Also, this happened on two separate boards in two separate cases. I'm really at a loss as to what is going on, but both boards have Realtek audio chips and I've been reading that once they stop detecting ports there is no fix for it. I just can't figure out why the headphones would have an effect on it. I won't have time to do any major troubleshooting until the weekend but I will post back with screenshots or possibly a video of what its doing.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, this is really stumping me.

Archived