Corsair Community

NEED MAJOR HELP: Twinx2048-3500LLPRO for ASUS Premium-SLI | AMD X2 4800+

jpongin

I hope you guys are empathetic... here goes:

I've been troubleshooting my new rig for the past week, and I'm hitting walls. I upgraded from my last system, a P4 3.2E ASUS P4C800-E Dlx, and so I was using the Ballistix DDR500 2GB Kit. First, the system doesn't recognize Dual Channel with the Ballistix sticks (Ballistix by you know who says they're compatible).

This is precisely why I just ordered the Twinx2048-3500LLPRO from Newegg -- because they were actually tested on the Premium board right before packaging. BTW, funny story actually, I was in the middle of reading a review on Newegg for this RAM that was Posted today at 2:50pm saying that it was IN STOCK. I refreshed the page, and behold, they were in stock. I of course immediately purchased them. Then while I was in the middle of writing my review about how I got them too at 3:00pm, they went out of stock again!!!! These things are selling like hotcakes!!! Anyway, they should be arriving Monday.

My question is this: Is my D/C not working because of my board or my Ballistix sticks? Individually, they POST, but my system doesn't properly reboot. Also, individually, they only work on Slots 3&4. On 1&2, it produces the "System failed memory test" error. I fear that it might be the board?

My BIOS version is 1009. When the Twinx2048-3500LLPRO arrive on Monday, PLEASE PLEASE give me some initial mem timing settings for this board. I want to set everything up at stock MANUALLY.

I know I'm asking more than just about this RAM, but I need some major expert help here. Thanks in advance RAMGuy... now cmon and make my day!

Here are the ASUS Premium-SLI BIOS fields:

Dram Configuration:

Timing Mode: Manual

Memclock index value: ???

Cas latency (TCL) : ???

Min ras active time (TRAS) : ???

Ras to Cas delay (TRCD) : ???

Row precharge time (TRP) : ???

Row Cycle time (TRC) : ???

Row refresh cycle time (TRFC) :???

Read-to-write time (TRWT) : ???

Write recovery time (TWR) : ???

1T/2T memory timing : ???

S/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled

H/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled

Hyper transport frequency : 5

Amd K8 Cool'nQuiet : Disabled

Jumperfree Configuration:

Overclock profile: Manual

CPU frequency : ???

PCI Express : 100mhz

DDR voltage : ???

Chipset voltage : ???

HT voltage : ???

CPU multiplier : ???

CPU voltage : ???

PCI clock syncronization mode : 33.33mhz

Well Corsair can't give tech support on another memory manufacturer's memory (hence why their name is blocked out), but it sounds like the board may be bad, or the BIOS needs to be tweaked.

DRAM Clock: Manually set to 1:1 or 400MHz

CAS Latency: 2.0T

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Bank Interleave: 4 Bank

Memory Voltage: 2.75

Command Rate 1T

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum recommended VDIMM: 2.9

I hope you guys are empathetic... here goes:

My question is this: Is my D/C not working because of my board or my Ballistix sticks? Individually, they POST, but my system doesn't properly reboot. Also, individually, they only work on Slots 3&4. On 1&2, it produces the "System failed memory test" error. I fear that it might be the board?

Individually, you are supposed to use only what you are calling "Slot 3" on the A8N-SLI Premium. It's properly designated "B1." If you are installing the single DIMM in the correct slot, then you should most definitely leave the DRAM timings set to Auto while you troubleshoot the problem. If installing TWO DIMMs, then you should use the BLUE slots, A1 and B1. Is that what you did? If you inserted them in different colored slots, then that would explain why you're not getting dual-channel functionality.

Ron

Individually, you are supposed to use only what you are calling "Slot 3" on the A8N-SLI Premium. It's properly designated "B1." If you are installing the single DIMM in the correct slot, then you should most definitely leave the DRAM timings set to Auto while you troubleshoot the problem. If installing TWO DIMMs, then you should use the BLUE slots, A1 and B1. Is that what you did? If you inserted them in different colored slots, then that would explain why you're not getting dual-channel functionality.

No no, when I was testing D/C, I DID put them in the proper slots: 1 & 3 (or A1&B1 aka the "Blue Slots"). When that failed, I then tried 2 & 4, or the Black Slots. When that failed, I started getting desparate, and I tested each stick with each slot one at a time. The results were this:

Each Stick w/ Each Slot Individually:

Slot1: "System failed memory test" error

Slot2: "System failed memory test" error

Slot3: POST and Windows Boot (but sometimes doesn't POST after manually restarting)

Slot4: POST and Windows Boot (but sometimes doesn't POST after manually restarting)

Do you have any other stick of DDR memory you can try in the system? Also, if you try a single stick in the future, I think you are supposed to install single DIMMs into slot 2. Check the manual to be certain though.

Not until Monday, that's when my Twinx2048-3500LLPRO Kit will arrive. I'm hoping my current memory is the cause of all this and not the board. Although I have to say that with my first ASUS Premium Board, The Ballistix did work in D/C. This is my second, and the same set of memory doesn't work with it. My next update will on Monday, after I try the sticks.

Archived