Corsair Community

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R

CD101

Hi, I'm having some memory stability problems with a new PC build with the following setup: -

CPU: AMD FX8350

MB: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Memory: 32GB Vengeance kit CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R

The memory isn’t listed on the ASUS QVL (which I noticed while building, whoops :o: ) but should it in theory work with the CPU and MB?

I’ve tried testing different configurations with Memtest86+ v4.20, but with no success and I seem to just be going round in circles now.

If I reset the MB, it picks up the memory as DDR3 1333MHZ and automatically configures the following timings: -

DRAM CAS# Latency - 9

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9

DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 9

DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 24

DRAM Row Cycle Time - 33

DRAM Command Rate - 1T

I’ve tested each stick on its own in different slots on the MB but always get failures on Test 6 (Moving inversions, 32 bit pattern) and if I alter the voltage above 1.5v I also get errors on other tests.

I’ve tried changing the timings to what’s on the stick 10-11-10-27 and the DRAM command rate to 2T and tried testing at 1600MHZ and 1866MHX but with no success

Has anyone got any ideas where the problem might be? wrong settings? MB/CPU/memory incompatibility? faulty MB? faulty memory?

Any help is much appreciated

The memory isn’t listed on the ASUS QVL (which I noticed while building, whoops ) but should it in theory work with the CPU and MB?

Yes it would be compatible with that system. So no worries there.

If I reset the MB, it picks up the memory as DDR3 1333MHZ and automatically configures the following timings: -

DRAM CAS# Latency - 9

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9

DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 9

DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 24

DRAM Row Cycle Time - 33

DRAM Command Rate - 1T

This is normal also. When overclocking fails or the MB needs to be reset , it will set values to a safe setting that it knows it can post with.

I’ve tested each stick on its own in different slots on the MB but always get failures on Test 6 (Moving inversions, 32 bit pattern) and if I alter the voltage above 1.5v I also get errors on other tests.

I’ve tried changing the timings to what’s on the stick 10-11-10-27 and the DRAM command rate to 2T and tried testing at 1600MHZ and 1866MHX but with no success

This is not normal and would suggest an issue with either the MB or the CPU

I would contact the MB manufacturer. .It sounds as if that MB may be faulty.

Also keep in mind that AMD has certain memory controller limitations too. You probably will not be able to run all 4 sticks at 1866mhz.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110429

I bought the same setup and am having the same issues. So far Ive:

1)Tested the ram in another computer, and it passed (all 4 sticks).

2)Replaced the motherboard, still get the memory errors.

3)Tried a 850W supply just to rule my supply out.

Next is the CPU. Or could this be a compatibility issue?

@CD101 Did you have any luck swapping anything out?

Hi, sorry for the slow reply but due to the holidays I've been waiting for parts to arrive.

I agree it points towards a faulty MB/CPU and the quickest and cheapest way to prove/disprove this was to test the setup with some other RAM which is on the QVL. So I ordered a Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX 16GB kit which arrived today.

Firstly I installed just one of the 4GB sticks, reset the MB and ran memtest86+ which passed all tests with no errors. I then populated all the memory slots and ran a full cycle of tests which surprise surprise, also passed with no errors.

So it seems the MB/CPU are both fine and it's either faulty Corsair memory (unlikely as @viper340 is having the same issue) or it's incompatible in some way with the MB/CPU. I guess only Corsair and Asus can confirm this?

I put the settings in manually, the same as the XMP settings said and still had the same problems. I tried some ram I borrowed from a friend and it passed memtest. At that point I went to the local computer shop and picked up some kingston hyper x ram (4 X 8G) and it passes and windows works great. So I am leaning toward it being a compatibility problem. Also I read on AMD's specs for the FX-8350 that you can only have 1 stick of 1866 ram per channel. My computer is up and running now and I RMA'd the corsair ram.

• Corsair Employee
With our modules you would need to set the settings manually and Command Rate should be set to 2T and DDR1333 would be the max they would run at on this MB and CPU, you can try and set them to DDR1600 there are several users running 4 double rank modules at DDR1600 and I would set the memory Voltage to 1.65 Volts and set the CPU/NB Voltage to +.2 Volts over default

@RAM Guy, the MB defaults to 1333mhz when the ram is installed, I tried changing the command the rate and altering the voltage but with no success.

You asked for the exact settings for the CPU/Memory... there are a lot of options in the bios so if you can be more specific I'd be happy to get them and test the memory again

• Corsair Employee

What settings did you change?

And the only settings I would set are as follows:

Cas 10-11-10-30 CR 2T and on your MB I would set the Memory Voltage to 1.65 Volts and set the CPU-NB Voltage to +.2 Volts over default.

If you cannot find the settings I would ask someone to help you who is more up on the BIOS your MB uses.

ok just tested one stick with the settings suggested, ran memtest86+ and skipped straight to test 6 where I got lots of errors occurring straight away.

Settings used:

Memory frequency set to auto, was automatically configured to 1333MHZ.

Here's the settings I manually configured.

RAM CAS# Latency: 10

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 11

DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 10

DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 30

DRAM Command Rate: 2T

CPU/NB Voltage: + .2v

DRAM Voltage: 1.65v

I have a very similar kit:

CORSAIR Vengeance Performance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4A1866C9

I am also having the same problem with the 990fx (1.0) in using the memory at anything but 1333. Also It will not run stable with all 4 sticks in, but will with 2. I noticed there's no QVL listing for 32GB even though the board supports it.

• Corsair Employee

CD101

Did you get the same results with all of the modules when you tested them one at a time? And did you have legacy USB Disabled?

Please try it again but load setup defaults and leave the timings at AUTO and test them at DDDR1600 and set the other settings and set Command Rate to 2T and disable legacy USN and let them from a few passes of test 6.

990fxuser

Please start your own thread and post the exact settings you have set for both CPU and memory and the MB BIOS version.

Apologies for the late reply. I've returned the kit so can't do anymore testing. However I'm sure I previously did test with legacy USB disabled and also with the speed at 1600 and command rate at 2T, but all resulted with lots of errors.

I've purchased another 32GB kit from another manufacturer, which when arrived I installed leaving the MB settings on auto and did a full cycle of tests with memtest86+ without any errors.

• 5 months later...

RAM GUY, I have the same Motherboard, CPU, RAM kit and issues as CD101 - would you like to continue the diagnosis in this thread, or should I create my own?

As described earlier in the thread, the RAM works in pairs, but not as a set of four DIMMs.

I have already replaced the CPU and tested an alternate vendors dual channel, 8GB kit in this board with success. I don't believe any of the hardware is faulty, this appears to be a configuration issue that I hope you can help with?

BTW, can you explain the rationale behind disabling legacy USB support?

GrantOz,,Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps in this thread, and if so which ones. Generally since the memory works in pairs's especially if it doesn't matter which pair, then the memory is most likely fine. But that doesn't rule out a compatibility issue like the OP.

BTW, can you explain the rationale behind disabling legacy USB support?

On ASUS MB's, USB legacy support option has been known to trigger false positives in memtest. All other MB's it's not necessary.

I have already replaced the CPU and tested an alternate vendors dual channel, 8GB kit in this board with success

2x4gig's not the same as trying to run 4 8gig dimms. The loads placed on the memory controller in your CPU are far less than it would be trying to run 32 gigs of memory.

Did you purchase the 32 gig kit or two 16's? I have to ask because some users report having the 32 gig kit only to find out it was two 16's. Which can also make a huge difference.

GrantOz,,Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps in this thread, and if so which ones. Generally since the memory works in pairs's especially if it doesn't matter which pair, then the memory is most likely fine. But that doesn't rule out a compatibility issue like the OP.

I have tried all suggestions mentioned in this thread, except disabling USB legacy support as I don't currently have a suitable SATA boot device to start memtest86 from (one is on the way).

The CPU/board/RAM all seem fine, with the exception of what appears to be a compatibility issue when using all 4 DIMMS.

On ASUS MB's, USB legacy support option has been known to trigger false positives in memtest. All other MB's it's not necessary.

Yep, have seen references to this fact, but hoped someone would know the underlying reason (DMA issue, spurious interrupts, register config clash...)

It's worth pointing out that this isn't just false positives in memtest86. The system regularly locks up with all 4 DIMMS installed, and is perfectly stable with 2 installed (stock clocks, voltages...)

2x4gig's not the same as trying to run 4 8gig dimms. The loads placed on the memory controller in your CPU are far less than it would be trying to run 32 gigs of memory.

Agreed. In particular, these boards/CPU's seem to be sensitive to dual rank RAM.

Did you purchase the 32 gig kit or two 16's? I have to ask because some users report having the 32 gig kit only to find out it was two 16's. Which can also make a huge difference.

Understood, healthy skepticism is a good thing. It is a 32GB kit, as per OP:

Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3

No worries, Grant. The only thing i can suggest left would be to drop the speed to 1600mhz and see if it is stil unstable with all four DIMMs.

I'm wondering if you just arn't running up against AMD memory controller limits.

If not then I would go ahead and either have it replaced or try another kit. I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas after that.

However, if a second kit does the same thing then it may be the board that is the issue.

No worries, Grant. The only thing i can suggest left would be to drop the speed to 1600mhz and see if it is stil unstable with all four DIMMs.

I'm wondering if you just arn't running up against AMD memory controller limits.

If not then I would go ahead and either have it replaced or try another kit. I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas after that.

However, if a second kit does the same thing then it may be the board that is the issue.

Thankyou for the suggestions. I've tried various memory clocks with no success. I also tried one pair from this kit in another 990FX board with 2 slots with the same result.

Unfortunately, I can't RMA this kit due to having discarded the packaging.

Does Corsair have a process for raising these issues with Asus directly? Corsair will receive more attention from Asus than I will, and resolving this issue would be in the interests of both parties. Thoughts?

Unfortunately, I can't RMA this kit due to having discarded the packaging.

Yes, you can still RMA the memory with out the packaging. As long as the sticks are packaged good that is all that matters. It has a lifetime warranty.

Does Corsair have a process for raising these issues with Asus directly?

Unfortunatly, if they do I have never heard of it. I a sure they are in contact with them at some point in the qualification process, but other than that , i have no clue.

Yes, you can still RMA the memory with out the packaging. As long as the sticks are packaged good that is all that matters. It has a lifetime warranty.

Unfortunatly, if they do I have never heard of it. I a sure they are in contact with them at some point in the qualification process, but other than that , i have no clue.

My supplier makes the following statement when submitting an RMA:

Is your product incompatible with other components or software?

Compatibility with other components and/or software is not covered under warranty

As this isn't a faulty product, I think I'm out of luck unless Asus come up with a fix...

Archived