Corsair Community

AIO test results

klandrum75

I've never overclocked or stress tested. I have installed my H115i Pro and stress tested for an hour. Are these temps OK, because I'm wanting to try bumping up to 5.0 ghz. Right now I am at 4.9 and have had no problems with games as of yet. Max core temp is at 58c while lowest shows 52c @ 1.28 Vcore and 88 watts.

Edit- I uploaded wrong image. Will redo when I get back to PC.

So is this just a general temp check to make sure you are in the ballpark? Yes, good temperatures and similar to mine delided at 1.30v. One to thing to note is AIDA has a rather subtle way to differentiate its stress tests with the 6 boxes in the top left of the window. If you run a "Stress CPU" test only, it is pretty much a cupcake. However, running a "Stress FPU" only test will really create some heat. The most useful is to check CPU/FPU/cache/system memory. That blend test will create heat as well as actually test all those components. A good multi-purpose stability check without being punitive.

Question. I do not have a video card, will any of this testing be affected by this? I have read that since I am using my CPU for graphics as well that it can produce some heat as well, not a lot but some. Should I wait to get a dedicated card before doing these tests.

In between the last test and just now I did do an experimental test on AIDA64. I bumped up to 5.1Ghz and brought Vcore up to 1.4 and had cpu/fpu/cache and system all checked in and tested for 30 min. During that test I hit 32c coolant with ambient at 25c. Minimum core was 64c and max went to 75c.

Once you cross a certain voltage threshold, your end CPU temps will go up drastically more than the coolant increase. 1.40v is certainly past that threshold, which is usually around 1.35v. Regardless, the higher on the voltage scale you go, the more the end cpu temps will increase for each +0.01v. At that point, there is nothing the cooler can do and it is all down to the CPU physical construction and thermal transmission, plus whatever load is running. Most coolers provide far more cooling capability in terms of watts dissipated than the CPU can output, but the internal voltage generated temperatures will always call a halt to those proceedings. In essence, voltage limits you, not the cooler's fan, pump, or surface area.

Thank you. Now for my final question, after I get a dedicated GPU and turn off the onboard graphics, should I see a temp drop, even if its only a degree or two?

I doubt your tests were doing much to generated heat from the GPU. You might, but I wouldn't count on it.

You will, however, now need to manage the heat from the GPU. Just something to keep in mind ... they get hot too and you need to get that heat out of the system as well.

Definately. Right now I have 3 120's mounted in the front of the case blowing directly at that spot and a 140mm as rear exhaust that sits right at the top pci slot where I will be putting the gpu. The AIO is mounted up top as exhaust. I still have a spot for a fan on the bottom of the case (Corsair 780t) but I will probably leave that open as I plan on building a PSU shroud. I currently only have the bottom 3 3.5 drive cage installed. I removed the top as I won't need it and it gives me better airflow. Also depends on the GPU I get, I have a budget of $700 max but with current prices who knows. I do plan to eventually water cool the GPU as well.

Archived