Corsair Community

Durability and new MLC voyager gt

Redeeman

Hello..

i read on the corsair flash faq, that normal flash voyager is made with flash garantueed for 10k writes, but that the gt models are made with parts garantueed for 100k writes. Does this also apply to the new MLC based voyager/survivor gt's?

yes but i didnt ask about warranty from corsair :)

My concern is with the durability of the product. While 10 year replacement warranty from corsair is truly excellent, and much better than mostly everyone else offers, this does not help me if i need the hardware while its being replaced, or if i loose data.

therefore, my question remains, as found from this file:

http://corsairmicro.com/_faq/FAQ_flash_drive_wear_leveling.pdf

which i believe is from before there existed >8gb voyager gt:

Will my Corsair USB Flash drive last

more than 10 years?

Yes. All Corsair flash drives are built with memory

components that can handle AT LEAST 10,000 write

cycles; typically they will handle an order of

magnitude more than this. So, this means that in

order to exhaust the drive in ten years, one would

have to write to EVERY BLOCK in the device about

2.7 times per day, every single day. We simply can’t

conceive of such a usage scenario; this would mean

that on a fairly typical 8 GByte drive, one would need

to write over 21 GBytes of data to it every day for ten

years! USB flash drives simply are not used in this

way.

If one thinks he or she might actually try this, we

suggest buying a Corsair Flash Voyager GT or a

Corsair Flash Survivor GT USB drive. They are built

with components guaranteed for 100,000 write

cycles. With these, one can write over 210 GBytes of

data to the drive each day, for ten years!

so my question.. does these new 16 and 32gb survivor gt and voyager gt ALSO use parts garantueed for 100k write cycles, compared to 10k for non-gt?

• Corsair Employee

Again

the warranty is for 10 Years and the controller we use or used to make the specific part is not important. And even if its 10K that is an average of 3.56 writes per day every day for 10 years will you do that many?

i fully realize and understand, that the warranty you are offering covers only a period (10 years in this case), and not actual clear/write cycles of the specific components used.

nevertheless, i am very interrested in knowing this. Not only because the pdf should be corrected if it is no longer representing the current gt's, but the actual reason for me asking this question, is because i actually have some uses in mind, which would certainly be doing insane amounts of IO.

can i infer from your reluctance to answer, that the 16 and 32gb flash voyager GT's are in fact made with the 10k garantueed(yes, i understand this is not corsair warranty, but the spec of the components) clear/write cycles?

can i infer from your reluctance to answer, that the 16 and 32gb flash voyager GT's are in fact made with the 10k garantueed(yes, i understand this is not corsair warranty, but the spec of the components) clear/write cycles?

I don't think he's reluctant, you're both just looking at it from different perspectives. RG is looking at it from a warranty perspective, e.g. the individual part warranties don't matter as Corsair's encompasses a longer life, whereas you are looking at it from a functional perspective, where the component cycles DO matter, and could be used up in a very short amount of time.

I'd guess bootable OS on a stick? :)

• Corsair Employee
No, I am reluctant to answer because I do not know which controller is used and what the spec is. I would ask that you email me the part number and the lot number printed on the USB end and I will have it looked up as to which controller is used on that specific part. But I will warn you it may take some time to research it.

I havent actually purchased yet, i wish to make sure first.

I cant really get any serial numbers or anything, all i can say is that the products im thinking about is known in shops as "Corsair Flash Voyager GT" and "Corsair Survivor GT". The pdf suggests that these are made with parts specced with 100k write cycles, and non-gt with 10k write cycles. This pdf is from before the MLC 16/32gb gt's, and thus my only question is, do these figures still hold true, if i purchase voyager gt 16 or 32gb, compared to non-gt?

I havent actually purchased yet, i wish to make sure first.

I cant really get any serial numbers or anything, all i can say is that the products im thinking about is known in shops as "Corsair Flash Voyager GT" and "Corsair Survivor GT". The pdf suggests that these are made with parts specced with 100k write cycles, and non-gt with 10k write cycles. This pdf is from before the MLC 16/32gb gt's, and thus my only question is, do these figures still hold true, if i purchase voyager gt 16 or 32gb, compared to non-gt?

If Corsair doesn't provide the answer to this vital specification maybe Samsung will, they make the memories as here

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67674

If a way to read flash memory part no from a GT please post it, i'm also interested, then i'll try to find from CI specs. how many writes/block it is capable.

As Vista tells that my 16 GB Voyager GT is not ReadyBoost i must "think to other uses", i'm not upset for this, just tell what happens.

• Corsair Employee
You may need to format the drive with NTFS before you attempt to use it as Ready Boost. But it should work for that purpose, however you will not be able to use the rest of the drive for anything else.

You may need to format the drive with NTFS before you attempt to use it as Ready Boost. But it should work for that purpose, however you will not be able to use the rest of the drive for anything else.

Why not?

I could make a different 4Gb partition for cache and the rest 12 Gb for data, is it right so?

Archived