Corsair Community

Fans don't stay with the Performance options (Commander Pro) they auto change speed

sendblink23

I literally just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64(added NVMe drive and installed the OS there) and after installing iCue software the fans speeds in performance for the Commander Pro are not staying with the options selected as in I set it to Quiet or Balanced and eventually on their own they ramp up speed.

Now here is the odd thing, I was already running iCue software on my previous install earlier which is still on my SSD drive - That one does not have the issues as in its perfect 100% anything I change works without any problems. I have not changed anything on the connections in the hardware, as in everything is intact how it was already running I simply added the NVMe and installed Windows on there installed the iCue software and made sure everything is indeed updated and latest firmwares as well(the SSD install also has the latest of everything).

Can someone help me out on fixing this Performance settings issue for the Commander Pro in iCue software? For the new clean OS install

I have on my machine: Commander Pro, Node Pro, H150i Pro RGB, 4 White Vengeance RGB Pro(2 are 2x16gb, the other 2 are just Lighting Enhancement Kit).

Fans: 4 x LL120mm, 2 LL140mm

Commander Pro [2 x LL140, 1 x LL120] - Performance Screen:

AASzK8i.png

H150i Pro RGB [3 x LL120] - Performance Screen:

mxq9qKv.png

Edited by sendblink23

The Commander Pro's default curves use CPU temperature as the source. The cooler uses the cooler's temperature. For the CoPro, you are better off creating custom fan curves based on a different temperature, ideally from the thermistors that come with the CoPro.

The Commander Pro's default curves use CPU temperature as the source. The cooler uses the cooler's temperature. For the CoPro, you are better off creating custom fan curves based on a different temperature, ideally from the thermistors that come with the CoPro.

But why would this change after simply doing a clean install, I mean I can literally boot in the SSD install and it works as it should when I select Quiet or Balanced. Is it possible to copy files from my SSD into my NVMe install to fix this?

I literally just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64(added NVMe drive and installed the OS there) and after installing iCue software the fans speeds in performance for the Commander Pro are not staying with the options selected as in I set it to Quiet or Balanced and eventually on their own they ramp up speed.

It is not related to the drive or where the program is stored. Quiet and Balanced are just two presets with very definite control points you can't see. It's not a smart curve with a microphone picking up ambient sound. It's a curve like any other. While you can get away with using the lower profile Quiet speeds on the pump, it is going to be disappointing on the Commander Pro. As mentioned above, it's basing its speed off CPU temp, something that changes multiple times per second and covers a huge range. Your fans will also cover a huge range. The only reason the default is CPU temp is this is the only variable every single computer system is guaranteed to have. Not all systems have discrete GPUs, motherboard sensors, ambient temp sensors, etc.

Don't use the presets. Make your own curves.

It is not related to the drive or where the program is stored. Quiet and Balanced are just two presets with very definite control points you can't see. It's not a smart curve with a microphone picking up ambient sound. It's a curve like any other. While you can get away with using the lower profile Quiet speeds on the pump, it is going to be disappointing on the Commander Pro. As mentioned above, it's basing its speed off CPU temp, something that changes multiple times per second and covers a huge range. Your fans will also cover a huge range. The only reason the default is CPU temp is this is the only variable every single computer system is guaranteed to have. Not all systems have discrete GPUs, motherboard sensors, ambient temp sensors, etc.

Don't use the presets. Make your own curves.

Are you both ignoring that the SSD install these Quiet and Balanced work perfectly correct? Why would it change on a clean install? So there has to be something else going on here if booting to the SSD doesn't have the issue and booting to the new NVMe suddenly has issue. Mind you the ones affected are the exhaust top and rear fans. Its all clean perfect air flow inside the case so it makes absolutely no sense for this to happen on those fans by booting into a new OS install.

PC side photo sorry for the low quality camera: https://i.imgur.com/urYcPHM.jpg

Are you really sure there is nothing of files that can be pasted from the other install on here because this is impossible that those specific fans are running differently with the default iCue software profiles.

If nothing can be pasted well then for custom fan settings I suppose I should log on the SSD and type down the speeds it reaches on each of the settings and apply them in 2 custom performance profiles on the new install, correct?

I think we are having difficulty explaining to you how the preset curves function on both devices. Can you explain "worked perfectly"? Usually when people say that, it means the fans weren't bothering them. However, what worked perfectly really means is the fans followed their fan curve - the preset for Quiet and Balanced you cannot see. Thus it is a little hard to tell if they are working perfectly or not. Regardless, your Commander Pro fans speeds are going to change temperature based on CPU speed. This changes every second and what's missing from your pictures is the CPU temp at that moment in time.

If you really think there is something wrong with the program, you can go to the apps setting in Windows, scroll down to iCUE, and follow the prompts to do a repair installation. However, using CPU temp as the control variable is going to give you uneven results at every turn. You really need to get off the presets and make your own. If the fans are not following your instructions in the custom curve, that is a problem and something we can work on.

Here's a table of RPM values for the LL fans based off your coolant temperatures you can enter as custom curves for your Commander Pro. Unfortunately, you cannot simply set a percentage (as you would think for PWM fans), you need to enter finite values...

No code has to be inserted here.

Dang this was a bugger to format correctly!

Edited by BlaiseP

Well explain these videos I just recorded - based on my experience they do not follow those tables you BlaiseP have just provided. And clearly you can see it with my screenshots above its something already wonky in here :P

SSD Install - you will see Quiet changes and stays with 900rpm range, I change it to Balanced and it stays with 1300rpm range, change back to Quiet and goes back to 900rpm range. In my opinion this seems perfectly for my taste(its been running like this for months) which is what I was expecting on the new install afterwards.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Now here is the NVMe the new install of today - no clue why now testing it here if I go "Quiet" its boosts up to 1300rpm range it does not drop, earlier it was dropping to 900rpm but like 1 minute in it ramped up to 1300rpm. So now it stays in that high rpm.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

So yeah I know already, you guys have mentioned it a few times - make a custom fan speed presets. But can someone explain why the new NVMe install has such WEIRD AWKWARD rpm speeds on "Quiet" for the Commander Pro Rear and Top Fans? As to compared of my SSD old install.

I will make the custom presets and actually use those speeds you ( BlaiseP ) brought in with the table, those would be like extra silent for sure on everything.

Ok, I am not sure why you’re showing us disk utilization. However, the task manager at least supplies some visual evidence to what we are attempting to tell you. In your first clip, the cpu load % is flittering between 9-12%. In the second video, you are running between 12-24%. Presumably the extra cpu load at that moment is causing an increase in cpu temperature which is then pushing you to a higher fan speed. You don’t need your case fans to adjust with cpu usage and this why we are urging you to get off the presets on the Commander Pro. Use the custom curve and change the control variable. GPU temp is a quick and understandable change for most people. You can get into temp probes and actual case temp later if you like.

...based on my experience they do not follow those tables you BlaiseP have just provided

The table I provided will give you the same/similar fan characteristics for your Commander Pro as you already have for your H150i (the custom curves I provided are based off the defaults curves for a H115i) based off the coolant temperature. As I stated in my earlier post, as you need to enter finite RPM values, you'll need to create the 3 (quiet_1x0, balanced_1x0 & extreme_1x0) curves for both the 120 & 140mm fans (6 fan curves in total - quiet_120, balanced_120 & extreme_120, quiet_140, balanced_140 & extreme_140).

I have a full hardline custom water loop (CPU & 2 x GTX-1080TI waterblocks) with all my (radiator & case) fans connected across 2 CoPro's and all are based off my coolant temperatures (via a 10kΏ inline sensor in my loop connected to the 2nd CoPro). I have them set for the most part on my custom "balanced" mode which keeps everything cool and mostly quiet. I do have 100% presets I use when benchmarking when cooling takes precedence over noise :)

NB. Weird that the non-SSD (second) video shows all 3 of the fans connected to the CoPro ramping up to 100% on the "Quiet" preset curve. My understanding is that the fans shouldn't exceed 60% duty cycle (~900rpm for the 120mm & ~780rpm for the 140mm) on "Quiet" mode anyway.

Ok, I am not sure why you’re showing us disk utilization.

That was the only way I could think of to show a proof that I was running of a different install, 1st video shows 'Disk 0' utilization and video 2 shows 'Disk 3' utilization.

As for the cpu load utilization differences, rewatching the video I figured out what it was... I suddenly remembered its simply an error on my part that I forgot on the recordings on OBS Studio on my old install SSD I had the encoding settings with the NVENC(gtx970) and the new install NVMe I had it set with Software(x264) on Medium. However talking about the default presets for just only Display Capture(only opened icue, obs studio and task manager) on idle recording with only 24% CPU usage is not enough to get temps for Quiet to reach 1300rpm I mean according to the table it should max at 900rpm unless that table is not exactly the defaults on the software... like my issues/concern is that on this clean install the default presets for Quiet are definitely not correct probably bad values on fans. I did uninstall and install again the iCue software and it still did this behavior.

NB. Weird that the non-SSD (second) video shows all 3 of the fans connected to the CoPro ramping up to 100% on the "Quiet" preset curve. My understanding is that the fans shouldn't exceed 60% duty cycle (~900rpm for the 120mm & ~780rpm for the 140mm) on "Quiet" mode anyway.

But yeah I did create the custom fan curve settings for the different temps with Quiet and Balanced like you both mentioned and used BlaseP table(yeah did separate presets for LL120 and LL140 fans) and did several tests with the custom Quiet playing games and recording at x264 medium it maintained the fans maxing in 900rpm and when not doing anything like just normal browsing youtube it dropped to 700rpm. So now it sure is acting how it should be.

---edit---

Forgot to ask, what should be the sensor that I should use for these? The default is 'AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Package', it has #1, #2, #3 for motherboard and below the last options on the screenshot is the 2 vengeance rams and H150i PRO Temp

bhFOJxJ.png

Edited by sendblink23

Forgot to ask, what should be the sensor that I should use for these? The default is 'AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Package', it has #1, #2, #3 for motherboard and below the last options on the screenshot is the 2 vengeance rams and H150i PRO Temp

bhFOJxJ.png

Scroll down and find GPU temp. This works for most people who have moderate or higher GPU loads. The GPU is also the biggest heater in the case, so it makes sense to base your air exchange off that. There is no suggested speed for this. Set it up the way you want it. Quiet on the desktop (going to minimal GPU load) and moderate at higher temperatures.

---edit---

The curves I offered are based off the H150i PRO Temp source sensor (sorry if the hint in the heading shown in my table was a bit cryptic).

• 1 year later...
Here's a table of RPM values for the LL fans based off your coolant temperatures you can enter as custom curves for your Commander Pro. Unfortunately, you cannot simply set a percentage (as you would think for PWM fans), you need to enter finite values...

No code has to be inserted here.

Dang this was a bugger to format correctly!

@BlaiseP Thx

@Who can help me :-)

I've been using the above custom profiles for my 150i Pro RGB and LL120/140 FAN's. Yesterday I upgraded my 150i Pro to a 150i Pro RGB XT. It seems that Corsair set the PWM cycles different for the 3 modes on the XT. Could someone help me to convert them (to use with LL FANS)? (my math skills lacking...)

Quiet

32° --> 20%

33° --> 30%

34° --> 38%

36° --> 50%

38° --> 72%

40° --> 85%

42° --> 100%

Balanced

29° --> 20%

30° --> 30%

31° --> 47%