Corsair Community

TX750 V2 - Fan On/Off

Arbitrium

So I just got my new Corsair PSU a few days ago. Was excited. I finally got it started, then I hear this very light beeping sound..almost sounding like a Morse code. Didn't think much of it at first, but eventually worried me. Tried to troubleshoot my PSU but nothing applicable worked.

The sound, which became noise to me, responded to activity in my computer sometimes. As in it made noises when I would watch a Youtube video, open a game..etc.

Finally today I checked my fan and noticed it wasn't spinning at all. I'd see it trying to 'want' to spin, but it won't. And every time it tried to move, it made the beeping sound. The beeps can be rapid when I'm doing a lot of activity.

From time to time the fan would actually spin normally. No noise what-so-ever. This happens when I've played a game for a few minutes already..an example would be Dark Souls. *As I was typing the previous sentence, the fan started spinning quietly. I wasn't doing anything else except this.*

But when it comes to video streams, it still won't spin.

Does this have anything to do with the PSU's little feature? Where it doesn't spin unless it reaches a certain load?

The noise is very light, but builds up mentally because it's enough to be heard without frontal sound playing. But is it supposed to be making such noise while it's idle? *Fan stopped spinning again and is making the 'irr' kind of noise.*

I'll be trying to unplug/plug a few hardwares on my motherboard to see if it'll make any difference after this post. Will update after.

Thank you for your time. I'm really hoping I won't have to do an RMA..but I guess if it's necessary.. =/

I've removed and replugged both my RAM and video card. Also unplugged the power from my main hard drive. Turned of my computer and after I logged in, the noise came back.

Played Dark Souls for a bit and muted my in-game sounds. I noticed the fan not spinning at all, but still trying to. Now it's causing it to have a more rapid noise. I guess it never spun in the first place. The noise would stop from time to time, but when it starts, it's very rapid.

Judging from all the other people complaining about the same thing, including myself, they caught a bad batch of PSU.

And it seems like they went out to a lot of people.

However, they seem to know they have bad product out in circulation - and they also seem to be right on top of the RMA thingies. They are going out of their way to try and make this right, at least from what I've read/seen.

Bitch of it is, you have to send it back and wait for a new one. I wish there was a way to fix the fan or disable the feature that makes it want to spin and stutter. I think we're stuck with an RMA.

Smercs

Hello, smercs.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but mine doesn't sound or do what yours does. So far I haven't seen any videos that could show it nor I have a device that could record my PSU activity.

This is the link that you've used and I've seen others use:

Mine is sharper sounding and sounds like your ear is ringing from a distance. The fan either spins or stops almost completely. And if it's trying to spin, it moves about a millimeter or so then goes back to where it was. Does this back and forth while it makes the noise. Never reaches a full spin when it tries to spin. Either it spins or it doesn't.

I guess it still is a part of the bad batch..so most likely a RMA.

Hopefully I've described my problem well enough. Here's another video that will probably help narrow it down:

My problem almost similar to this because of the activity he was doing on his desktop causes the fan to make noises. But mine was not spinning and it sounds like tiny little morse codes.

Judging from all the other people complaining about the same thing, including myself, they caught a bad batch of PSU.

And it seems like they went out to a lot of people.

However, they seem to know they have bad product out in circulation - and they also seem to be right on top of the RMA thingies. They are going out of their way to try and make this right, at least from what I've read/seen.

Bitch of it is, you have to send it back and wait for a new one. I wish there was a way to fix the fan or disable the feature that makes it want to spin and stutter. I think we're stuck with an RMA.

Smercs

Yup, they are right on top of it. I have even seen some of them be requested to be sent right to RamGuy for testing in their lab to identify the issue rather than just ship them back to the manufacturer like they usually do. All I know is that there is something in the fan controllers that is not working correctly, but I don't know the exact jist of things.

In cases like this where they know they have an issue, advanced replacements are usually available,and they usually cover the shipping in most cases.

Now ,since I do not work for Corsair I can't say this would be the case in all situations, but if you have had the PSU less than 30 days I would seriously urge you guys to contact CS by phone and talk to them about this.

But you would need to contact CS by phone and talk to them about it. Advanced replacements are something that can't be arranged here on the forums.

You can find the toll free number on the main website page at the bottom under contacts and if you happen to be out of the US, you can install and use SKYPE to make the call to the toll free number for nothing.

I was waiting for someone from Corsair to actually post in here to ease the slight pain. Since you've been here for a long time, are you just urging me to call Customer Support instead and figure things out there?

What I'm looking for is if this is RMA worthy or maybe my computer is just not using enough power that it's like this. And that the noise would eventually just go away. I don't know anymore.

I was waiting for someone from Corsair to actually post in here to ease the slight pain. Since you've been here for a long time, are you just urging me to call Customer Support instead and figure things out there?

Yes,only because it would be faster than waiting on responses here in the forums. I do understand people need/want their computers and waiting for responses can be frustrating at times. A call to CS can often get things taken care of in just a few minutes.

What I'm looking for is if this is RMA worthy or maybe my computer is just not using enough power that it's like this. And that the noise would eventually just go away. I don't know anymore.

It's actually a combination of temperature and load that determines when the fan kicks on and off.

It's been stated here many times that a slight clicking noise may be normal when the fan is starting or stopping but it should not be so loud that you can hear it over the rest of your system with the case closed.

However , watching your video that is definitely not what i would call a slight clicking or normal operation. I also don't think that is connected to the fan just because the fan is not going to respond that fast to a load change. (mininzing/maximizing a window) Which really isn't a "load" change anyway. It doesn't even sound like "coil whine "either and is pretty irritating

I would have it replaced and I'm sure Corsair would not have a problem replacing it .

As i stated above , since the unit is less than 30 days old they will do their best to get it taken care of quickly.

• Corsair Employee
The issue you have reported is somewhat normal, the TX and GS Series PSU latest hardware version all support fan-less operation and there may be a slight clicking sound from the fan when it turns on and off. But it should not be so loud that you can hear it above all of the other fan noise if your system is closed up. However, if the noise is so loud that you can hear it over the other fans in your system please use the link on the left and request an RMA and post the case number and I will have our customer service get it replaced for you ASAP.

Yes, it was louder than all the other fans and hear-able through my closed case.

I've proceeded to get the PSU replaced..but I forgot one thing that I'm REALLY hoping is not a big deal.

I forgot to print out the (no-reply) email sent to me by the 'Tech Support Express.' Which has the instructions on how to properly pack the RMA'd product for shipment and what was needed in the package. I just realized this after re-reading my RMA emails. Will this be a problem? =/

• Corsair Employee
With the TX series, since all the cables are permanently attached to the PSU, you don't need to include anything with the PSU to send it back. I'd just make sure that the PSU is pretty secured inside the box when you packed it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my replacement. Installed it, then bam. Same damn sound and same situation all over again. I honestly don't know whether I'm just over-reacting over this or the damn PSU that I got is another defect!

I don't get it..does anyone test them before they ship them out if it's a replacement? This is getting really frustrating and is becoming a complete waste of my time when I could have just bought a different brand after the first damn defect. My fault for giving this brand a chance, I guess.

The RMA# is 5335378

I've already contacted customer service and they said they'll be replacing it with a HX750 or something. I don't know if you can do anything else about it, but if you can assure that third replacement doesn't have problems then I'll feel more at ease. That's all I can do anyways is to hope I don't get another one with the same problem since I can't get a refund at all. Might as well get this damn thing replaced till I get a non-defective one...

Also, it's a bit screwed up how customer service tells you that they've fixed the bad batch already when I get a replacement straight from Corsair with the same exact problem. I'm not a big Corsair buyer, but that's pretty bad on their part telling a consumer that.

Thank you for the help, Ram Guy.

Archived