Corsair Community

4/5 LL fans on brand new commander pro not lighting up

HalfWeeb

Hello, this is my first build. I have 4 LL140's and 1 LL120. I plugged them in originally using 2 LED hub's to a Node Pro, with the intention of getting a Commander Pro to clean up my wires and such. During my time with the node, my 120 only lights up on one side instead of on all 4 and the other 2 140's don't light up at all. The other 2 which were connected to a different hub (because they couldn't reach) lit up just fine. Fast forward to today, my Commander Pro and 2 LED strip's came in. Plugged in everything and cleaned it up. All 5 fans are plugged into the commander and 5 LED cables into a hub and into LED port 1 on the commander. The strips (which are 4 pin for some reason) are plugged into the second hub and into port 2 on the commander. Now, only the 120 is lighting up (on the one side) and none of the others and neither of the LED strips. Also all the fans keep fluctuating to max rpm randomly kind of like its breathing. Please any help would be appreciated!!

First, those strips are wrong. You're using the strips for the Commander Mini, not the Commander Pro/Lighting Node Pro. The correct strips only come in 4's, not 2's.

On the fans, however, take the 120 off the hub and plug the rest in sequentially. Does it work? Then you have a bad fan. The thing about the fans is that they run in series and if there is 1 bad fan, it'll take out everything else down the line.

Now ... for the fans. Do you have them set to the correct mode (3pin vs 4pin)? These are the LL fans, correct? If so, it should be set as 4-pin.

Thank you! I didnt see anywhere on the website that the strips were incompatible. Also in rearranging the fans now 3 140's work completely fine, 1 140 (placed in the 4th spot) doesnt work at all and the 120 (now in the 5th spot) turns on and is still on the one side. I'm thinking that last 140 may be faulty which sucks but at least it still runs

It's odd that Fan 4 doesn't work at all and Fan 5 partially works. But fans 1-3 are good, right?

So ... try this:

Swap Fan 4 and Fan 5. Any changes?

Remove Fan 3. Put the 120 in the Fan 3 slot. Any changes? Put the flaky 140 in that slot too. Any changes?

What we're trying to do is confirm which fans are bad ... or if it's the Fan Hub. Since they work in series, 1 bad fan can impact the fans further down the chain. If it's the fan hub, the fans that aren't working on 4 and 5 may work on port 3.

So ... once we get this resolved, you should open up a support ticket for replacement.

I have issue with the LED hub only 1-4 will light up, contacted Corsair waiting for a new one hope will fit the issue. Have you try update or reset the setting in your Link? I have 2 140 & 3 120 fans, at first only one fan light up, but i managed to make 4 of them work after putting the 140 at slot 1 & 2.

I not sure why Corsair make their strip 3pin and 4pin on the Pro, which don't make sense to me, now you need to connect to a hub first then run the cable to the Pro, already have enough nightmare for the cables on the fans. Only reason I can think of is they do this to have people to buy their hub... wish they can make the fan with just one cable :(:

I connected all my fans to the EK hub and let the MB to control the speed, so far they are constant and very quiet, these fans are not noisy at all even when I put on full speed, can here the liquid running loader than the fans lol

I not sure why Corsair make their strip 3pin and 4pin on the Pro, which don't make sense to me, now you need to connect to a hub first then run the cable to the Pro, already have enough nightmare for the cables on the fans. Only reason I can think of is they do this to have people to buy their hub... wish they can make the fan with just one cable :(:

Well ... there's actually a thread on here that details what each wire does with the fans. The reason for for the fan controller is primarily due to power. The CoPro, by itself, wouldn't be able to power all of the LEDs that a single fan hub can. A single LL fans draws 0.62A. Six of them draws 3.72A. The SATA power lead can only deliver 4.5A on the 5V rail (per the SATA standard). So, it's not a nefarious plot for people to buy their hubs. There's an actual technical reason behind it.

Now ... the 4 wires ... 1 is power, 1 is ground, 1 is data in and 1 is data out. They work in a series ... the data signal goes in to the fan and then is sent back out and routed to the next fan in the series (which is why the order thing helped you out).

I didnt see anywhere on the website that the strips were incompatible.

You must have missed it buddy....

'NOTE: The Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit is ONLY compatible with the Commander Mini and Lighting Node.'

hope you get sorted dude :).. your in good hands with DevBiker :)

Well ... there's actually a thread on here that details what each wire does with the fans. The reason for for the fan controller is primarily due to power. The CoPro, by itself, wouldn't be able to power all of the LEDs that a single fan hub can. A single LL fans draws 0.62A. Six of them draws 3.72A. The SATA power lead can only deliver 4.5A on the 5V rail (per the SATA standard). So, it's not a nefarious plot for people to buy their hubs. There's an actual technical reason behind it.

Now ... the 4 wires ... 1 is power, 1 is ground, 1 is data in and 1 is data out. They work in a series ... the data signal goes in to the fan and then is sent back out and routed to the next fan in the series (which is why the order thing helped you out).

Could become off topic now lol, I mean the LED Strip, not sure why not just use 4pin so can plug to the Pro directly or to a MB header instead of going thru a hub, maybe is the power thing:confused: Can they make the Pro use 2 SATA power maybe will solve the power issue? TT use a USB header for their Riing fans, I guess that send more power, and at least one less cable to worry per fan :eyebuldge:eyebuldge

Could become off topic now lol, I mean the LED Strip, not sure why not just use 4pin so can plug to the Pro directly or to a MB header instead of going thru a hub, maybe is the power thing:confused: Can they make the Pro use 2 SATA power maybe will solve the power issue? TT use a USB header for their Riing fans, I guess that send more power, and at least one less cable to worry per fan :eyebuldge:eyebuldge

The 4pin connectors on most motherboards are for 5050 RGB LEDs, which are completely different from the RGBs that are used on the strips. First, they are 12V LEDs. So yeah, there's a "power thing". And second, they are not addressable, so you are limited with what you can do.

I don't know how the Thermaltake fans work ... but USB 2.0 delivers 500mA of power. And each fan takes a USB connection??? Or is it getting power for the LEDs over the fan header (limited to 1A)? Either way, those are some serious limitations being put on the TT fans. The earlier LED fans used power from the fan header for the LEDs ... and that drove power usage off of the fan headers over, in some cases, .5A. Which means no splitters. Also, the LED brightness would vary with the fan speed on DC-controlled fans.

Once you understand the full power situation, Corsair's system actually represents the best flexibility and functionality for lighting and control. There's another vendor that has 1 fan hub and custom wires to each fan - so a single wire for both speed and RGB LEDs. However, you control all of your fan speeds from one motherboard header ... so all six fans spin the same. For those of us that tweak individual fan speeds, this is completely unacceptable.

The 4pin connectors on most motherboards are for 5050 RGB LEDs, which are completely different from the RGBs that are used on the strips. First, they are 12V LEDs. So yeah, there's a "power thing". And second, they are not addressable, so you are limited with what you can do.

I don't know how the Thermaltake fans work ... but USB 2.0 delivers 500mA of power. And each fan takes a USB connection??? Or is it getting power for the LEDs over the fan header (limited to 1A)? Either way, those are some serious limitations being put on the TT fans. The earlier LED fans used power from the fan header for the LEDs ... and that drove power usage off of the fan headers over, in some cases, .5A. Which means no splitters. Also, the LED brightness would vary with the fan speed on DC-controlled fans.

Once you understand the full power situation, Corsair's system actually represents the best flexibility and functionality for lighting and control. There's another vendor that has 1 fan hub and custom wires to each fan - so a single wire for both speed and RGB LEDs. However, you control all of your fan speeds from one motherboard header ... so all six fans spin the same. For those of us that tweak individual fan speeds, this is completely unacceptable.

Wish there is a some update on the power delivery options for PC then maybe can just use one cable, maybe all wireless haha:D::D:, huge headache to manage all those cables

I think the TT fans came with a hub, so all the cables go to the hub first, at least looks that way on the pictures; the new Bora fans from LIAN LI looks very nice, but just no where available

• 5 months later...
When I initially turn my computer on with 6LL 120s everything work perfect then while hooking up the note pro I plugged in one of the LED strips into the commander pro LED ports. Apparently at automatically Changed the input setting for channel 1 to a lighting strip instead of RGB fans. So I went back into the settings click on the drop-down box added six fans and problem is solved!

Archived