Corsair Community

Question for 620HX owners

rick475

Do you get strange electronic noises from your power supply when loading Crysis or playing other games ?

My power supply makes the worst sounds when I'm in the setting menu of Crysis. I also experience that same sound on a smaller scale when playing other games. Is it normal ?

Thanks

No, can't say I've ever had any audible electrical noise from my HX620 regardless of what software I'm running. If I put my ear to the unit i can hear a very faint buzz, but that's afaik normal for all psus.(My other psus do that too).

• Corsair Employee
Do you get strange electronic noises from your power supply when loading Crysis or playing other games ?

The PSU should not be make any electronic noises. Do you only have the issue when playing games? If so you may want to test the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same issues. Also, if you only hear the sound when using 3D applications, there could be a driver issue or a problem with the video card.

I can't test it in another system.

I have the latest Nvidia Drivers, and they are the only one I installed. My video card seems fine, I never had issues with it like bad artifacts or blue screens related to video.

Could it be motherboard related ? Side effect of the bios version ???

Or if it is indeed video related how do I pinpoint the problem to fix it ?

Per exemple, It happens in the setting menu of crysis, what's so special about that menu that could cause my PSU to make so much noise ?

I just found this topic on another forum http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/215434-33-strange-noise-coming-8800

My problem could be video related, my case is an antec p182, the video card is near the PSU...

And final question, is the cause of that sound be harmful to my system ? By the way this system has been stable for a month now. I'm waiting to fix this problem before overclocking.

Thanks

I ran some more test, I can say that I'm 100% sure the sound comes from the power supply.

I did some research and found a solution. I enabled VSYNC and the sound disappeared from the setting menu in Crysis. I didn't have time to test the other games but it seems conclusive.

What happens exactly in the power supply while i'm not in VSYNC ???

I'm still very curious about that problem and i'd like to get some clarification from Corsair. I sent an email to the video card company, with some help from both side I should get a clear answer.

Thanks

Hi! Unfortunatelly my Corsair HX620 does make a high pitched sound especially when idle (but not only) and though it's not loud, after a while it becomes very annoying. And it seems now that my attempt to build a silent PC has failed because since I bought my new Gainward Bliss 8800GT GS 1GB card, I hear all sorts of squealing noises, some coming from the Corsair unit, others from the VGA card. Also my new LG L227WT display emmits another high pitched sound but only sometimes when I set Brightness/Contrast 0/0 or when it switches to another resolution. It would be nice to hear about some sort of fix from Corsair because I would preffer to keep the PSU instead of replacing it with another one with the same problem. Besides I live far from USA... I read somwhere that a possible fix could be to apply several layers of nail polish on the noisy capacitor. I've already identified the noisy thing on my 8800GT. You can see it here. It's the black, cylindrical component right behind the fan connector. It also has a tiny hole on top and if I cover it, the sound slightly changes. Maybe some genius from this forum can tell me what it is, what it does, why does it squeal, will it blow and what can I do to stop it (edit: I've been told that it is just a buzzer so I was wrong; the sound is coming from another component on my VGA card...). Maybe somebody will also identify the noisy component in the Corsair PSU and let us know what can be done about it. Thank you!

Edit1: Yes, one of the noises is 110% coming from the PSU.

Edit2: The 620HX had the same issue with my previous Palit 8600GT so I don't think it's some kind of incompatibility or that this is VGA related.

Edit3: In Crysis' menu only the 8800GT is noisy; the PSU is silent. During the game the system is almost silent only the GT can be heard but no more squealing.

• Corsair Employee

rick475, The PSU does not know if you have VSYNC enabled or disabled, or whether or not your are running a game at all. All it knows is whether is should be on or off. If changing settings has an effect on the power supply there may be a bug with the BIOS version of your video card, motherboard, or possibly drivers. Are you positive that the card or motherboard are not causing the sounds you are hearing? We would have no problem replacing the unit for you at any time, however from what you describe, I would suspect that replacing the unit would not resolve your issue.

Nyck26, if the PSU is buzzing regardless of what you are doing with the system, and you have tried plugging it directly into a wall socket and had the same issues, then we can have it replaced. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

RAM Guy : You're right this power supply I got from the RMA, both PSU had the same problem. I'm 100% positive the sound comes from the PSU, I put my ear on the PSU grid...

Concerning "BIOS of the video card" I've never heard of those. I have the latest Nvidia drivers, if they were the problem I guess more than a handful of people would experience my problem. Asus just released a new BIOS for the Maximus Formula but the feedback isn't too good so far, I'll probably wait for the next version. Concerning other drivers, I have the latest of everything, no conflict with previous installations because this is a brand new computer.

What I find very wrong about the problem is if the solution depends on the Motherboard BIOS, what do you do if the company won't release any more update ? You're stuck with an "incompatibility issue" ? Hopefully, VSYNC ON resolved my problem for now. I just hope the next drivers or bios won't have any more effects on the PSU.

Corsair's should put some pressure on ASUS or Nvidia, because problems like that give you bad reputation. I spotted at least 20 people on various forums with the same problem and they probably all got a RMA, that cost them an extra 25$ (shipping for the RMA) for nothing. And that costs Corsair too.

At least I hope you'll learn a new advice to give for those who hear electronic sounds during gameplay. Before you give them the OK for the RMA, ask them to try VSYNC ON.

• Corsair Employee
This is the first that I have heard of this issue, however if changing settings within the game resolves it, then it is unlikely an issue with the PSU itself. Are all the other people having these problems using our PSUs? Are you able to provide some links so we can look into this further?

I agree, this might not be a PSU problem because the sound isn't random, you can hear it only when you do specific things on your computer. Also VSYNC OFF on idle, the PSU makes no sound, VSYNC OFF on load, it does.

However most people would blame the PSU because it's the component making noises after all. I searched a lot of forums trying to find a solution. I got the solution from this link (post made by Malcolm):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/21...se-coming-8800

In his case the sound came from his video card, he may be wrong about that, or maybe the same problem can happen to video cards as well.

On the various forums I visited people had Seasonic, Enermax, Corsair, Thermaltake products... Very often it wasn't specified. I didn't keep the links, most of the posts I read were on computer enthusiasts forums. I remember searching on Anandtech, Hardforum, ubuntu, NCIX, this forum and many others.

Even if most of these people didn't have Corsair products, the problem is real. PSU companies should pinpoint the problem and report it to those who make bad bios or drivers. Because in the end, the component that will be returned for RMA will be the PSU.

• Corsair Employee
It's obviously impossible for us to test every revision of every motherboard, video card, and the infinite combinations of BIOS or driver revisions for both. When it comes to making a part, all we can do is make sure it meets its specifications and requirements 100% in typical circumstances. This is the nature of the PC industry, unfortunately. We just don't have the capabilities to test every possible configuration. Nobody does.

• 8 months later...

Out of interest would it be possible for Corsair to speculate or disclose which part may be responsible for producing this noise annomaly in the affected supplies?

or speculate the component in the Geforce that makes the PSU produce the noise?

From some reading up, could a slightly broken coil housing/casing on a Geforce make the PSU make the noise? I have read a case where a noise(can't be sure what type) was attributed to loose coil box casing.

Finally I have the same type of noises as depicted in this youtube video, the noise varies according to the frame rate ( try running 3DMark2001 for example at 900+fps it gets very noisy) - as I understand uncapped fps causes a rapid variable loading on the PSU? ...I don't like Vsync btw.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uZkwNXoeOeY

Only the noise occurs the same with this system of mine, I've tried different combinations of connecting the modular connectors, both PCI-E slots and both PCI-E cables no change, perhaps I should put all the connectors on one rail? should I try increasing the load - my system isn't very powerful:

Asus P5Q

2GB RAM 800Mhz

C2D E6850

Geforce 8800GTS 320Mb

1 HDD, 1 DVD, 3 silent fans, nothing else (no FDD)

And the Corsair HX620, should I downgrade the PSU ? please help, I have no end of PC problems and nobody ever helps, I've got replies from time to time, but never helped... :(:

Archived