Corsair Community

Did my Corsair P3 128 GB SSD just die?

Darkcyde

PC was idle, went to open firefox, nothing. Everything then freezes so I re-boot. It makes it to the welcome screen and the just sits there with the hdd light on. Won't boot in safe mode or off the win7 dvd. BIOS says it's there but it freezes when the SSD is accsessed during boot.

If you can't boot off of the Windows 7 DVD then the issue isn't the SSD. To double check it, disconnect the sata cable from the SSD and attempt to boot off of the DVD again.

It boots off the DVD fine up until it reads the SSD then it freezes.

You know I had this happen to my drive 2 days ago. System froze completely. When I rebooted the bios did not show the drive. I had to unplug the system and then the drive showed up. Windows then did a scan disk and found 100's of errors. Ever since then I have been getting numerous blue screens.

What is the purpose of the secure erase and more importantly why is this happening.

I had the same issue as the OP, the system freezes as soon as the drive is accessed. Doing a secure erase seems to semi-fix it for a short period of time, just about enough to reinstall windows and a few apps before it freezes again. It's not the system as I tried installing windows with a separate machine after running another secure erase and it did the same thing.

My next step is going to be a RMA, just wanted to post here to share that the OP is not alone :)

• 1 month later...
You know I had this happen to my drive 2 days ago. System froze completely. When I rebooted the bios did not show the drive. I had to unplug the system and then the drive showed up. Windows then did a scan disk and found 100's of errors. Ever since then I have been getting numerous blue screens.

What is the purpose of the secure erase and more importantly why is this happening.

Similar thing happened to me. My drive worked great for the first couple of months. Then about 2 weeks ago my system froze up completely and when I rebooted my P3 128 SSD was not showing up in the bios at all. I unplugged the system then checked the cables to the drive by disconnecting them and reconnecting them..after that the drive worked fine but windows wouldn't boot at all. I did a system recovery from a backup image and it seemed to work good for a couple of days and then it froze up completely again. A reboot worked that time...but now it has been freezing up every day and twice more since then the drive wasn't recognized in the bios on reboot until I unplugged the system and disconnected and reconnected the drive. Now today I am completely unable to use it as it freezes up my system completely within about a minute of being turned on.

I loved the performance of this drive for the time that it worked, but now I am just extremely frustrated with it.

• 5 months later...
Well after 8 months of trouble free use, my RMA'd SSD started to randomly crash and disappear after reboot. I shut down and disconnected the SATA cable, rebooted to BIOS, shut down, re-connected the SATA cable, rebooted and everything was fine. It's done this three times in the past week. At this point, I'm not keen on paying return shipping on another RMA or getting another P3 series SSD as they have proven, at least for me, unreliable. I would happily take a force gt equivalent in exchange if at all possible. I hope Corsair can help me out as the customer service I've received in the past has been excellent.

I don't think Corsair sources the P3 line anymore since it was a failure on all fronts (bad performance, no firmware updates at all, reliablity issues etc). I rma'd mine with the exact issues you had. clean system, ahci, connected to intel p67 chipset port.

they said it was on indefinite backorder and offered me a Force GT instead which I happily took.

It's literally twice as fast in benchmarks for the same price...so yeah, ask for one.

I don't think Corsair sources the P3 line anymore since it was a failure on all fronts (bad performance, no firmware updates at all, reliablity issues etc). I rma'd mine with the exact issues you had. clean system, ahci, connected to intel p67 chipset port.

they said it was on indefinite backorder and offered me a Force GT instead which I happily took.

It's literally twice as fast in benchmarks for the same price...so yeah, ask for one.

My disc has the same benchmark as given from Corsair. But I`m dissapointed that they NOT release any FW to prove better performance. The disc is reliable and so far I`ve no issues eccept one (probably a KBxxxxxxxx update from windows).

• 3 weeks later...
Well after 8 months of trouble free use, my RMA'd SSD started to randomly crash and disappear after reboot. I shut down and disconnected the SATA cable, rebooted to BIOS, shut down, re-connected the SATA cable, rebooted and everything was fine. It's done this three times in the past week. At this point, I'm not keen on paying return shipping on another RMA or getting another P3 series SSD as they have proven, at least for me, unreliable. I would happily take a force gt equivalent in exchange if at all possible. I hope Corsair can help me out as the customer service I've received in the past has been excellent.

I've had the exact same issue, and after dealing with this second drive for the past 3 weeks, I am breaking down and starting the RMA process yet again. /extremely frustrated.

Archived