Corsair Community

Problem with memory upgrade for HP compaq 8100

Garvey

Hey folks!

I took upon my shoulders to upgrade the memory in the computer we use for production at work. Aint doing to good so far...

After installing the new memories the computer goes into rebootcycle as soon as the "loading windows" screen appear. Theese memories should however work in this machine [i double checked before buying them]

The computer is a HP Compaq 8100 elite convertible MiniTower ENERGY STAR, speccs found here:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/12454-12454-64287-3328898-3328898-4098422-4132912.html?dnr=1

The RAM im trying to install are the Corsair 4x4GB (16GB) XMS3 1333MHz DDR3.

The computer still runs fine on the old RAM, but we need to upgrade to be able to run our new machines... I googled my eyes out and found nothing of use, so now i turn to you experts. Any ideas or known issues with HP/Compaq?

Best regards!

(Also, i did not fill in my speccs since this is not my computer. Dont know the speccs of my own by heart, update later)

im just trying to figure out if this is a thermal incident, so ive pulled up the thermal guide for the chipset, maybe its a voltage issue, (the q57 chipsets ive seen ship with 1.35v ram)

or any other difference in specification, perhaps the chipset wasnt meant to run with 4 gig modules

even if you go into bios and set "optimized settings" does this still happen?

Are you sure the max memory allowed for that system is 16? gig's? Just the little bit of information I could find on HP's site suggests that it's only 8gig's. If that is the case then the 4 gig modules wouldn't work.

Do you have a link or something that would show the max amount of memory you can have is?

well after checking around the web a bit, it seems that some bioses shipped with the capability for 4 gig modules and some were shipped with a bios supporting only 2 gig modules

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp

it should be easy to update to a newer bios that will support the 4 gig modules

lets see if this works and go from there

• Corsair Employee

Yes I would try the latest BIOS here is the change log

Version 2.60.2.1

- Added support for comment lines in configuration file.

- Added short command line parameters /Get and /Set equivalent to /GetConfig and /SetConfig respectively.

- Added /SetDefaults option to set the system BIOS settings to preset defaults.

/GetConfig or /SetConfig options are ignored if specified with /SetDefaults.

- Added installer which copies the utility(both 32 and 64 bit) to program files folder and creates a link to

Version 2.50.3.1

- Added WinPE 64 bit support

- Added 32bit/64bit Windows 8 support

- Released as a separate softpaq

- Created BCU User?s Guide

- BCU defers reading Password classes in WMI until absolutely needed to avoid a BCU failure when encountering corrupt Password classes.

- Added support for ':', '"', '?' characters in passwords

Hello again!

Sorry for late respons, i got food poisoned and have been at home for a couple of days -.-

Updated the BIOS to latest version, same result. :/

Couldnt find the info i found before on the 16gb support on the hp website, but i know i've seen it. I found this however:

http://www.memoryamerica.com/compaq-memory-desktop-hp-compaq-series-hp-compaq-8100-elite-convertible-minitower.html

Not sure how reliable that info is, but im sure it has up to 16gb support. Either way, i tried using only one 4gb stick (connected in the correct DIMM-slot, yes), same result. Even tried all of them seperatly to see if i had bought a malfunctioning stick, but nope. Found a link however that confirms the 4gb RAM-stick support: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02268761&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I had a look at the old RAM-sticks, the infolabels are a bit limited but here is what might be useful:

2GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600U-9-10-B3

The partnumber from HP is 497157-D01

Im really thankful for your help, hope we can figure this out.

/Garvey

Edit: Found the missing link: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13524_ca/13524_ca.HTML

:)

• Corsair Employee
From what I can get on HP's site it would suggest this system may not support modules made with 512M X 8 memory IC's and if so all of our modules would not be compatible with that system. I would suggest asking the reseller if they can let you return them.

Yup, seems like the way to go. Where did you find this info, and would it support 1GB x 4 IC's or any other combination? We need this upgrade and hopefully won't have to buy a whole new system...

Which info Garvy? If your talking about IC size, I'm sorry to say that most of the major memory manufacturers are or have moved to the larger 512mb IC's for modules.

The chip maker just are not making the smaller sized ones anymore.

But as far as what your system is actually able to support HP's site only shows a max of 8 gig's. They list 2 gig modules as standard with four slots. So that is what both RamGuy and I are basing our answers from . Really thats about all we can recommend. If you can get confirmation from HP that your system can utlize 4 gig modules then you would probably need to have them constructed from 256x8 IC's double rank modules. 256 x 8= 2048 mb then double it for double sided modules for a 4 gig module. Where as the Corsair modules would be 512 x 8 single sided.

2GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600U-9-10-B3

http://www.amazon.com/Elpida-2GB-2RX8-10600U-9-10-BO-EBJ21UE8BDF0/dp/B008J2U66E

These would be a double rank module made from 128mbIC's 128 x8 =1024 x2 for double sided = your 2gig module. To clear that up you would have a total of 16 128mb ic's on your originals. So your originals use an even smaller IC than what Ram guy is saying that saying the max size for the chips would be and why the modules constructed from 512mbIC's would be too dense for that system to use.. I hope that isn't too confusing.

Archived