Corsair Community

How to sync a single RGB with an H115i ?

Talos

Hi all,

I have recently installed the H115i RGB Platinum on my system and I want to buy a single LL140 RGB an an exhaust fan. My case is the Fractal Design Define S2 which has a PWM fan controller where I can connect the LL140 RGB fan control, however I do not know where to connect its RGB connector.

Is there a way to do that without buying the expensive commander pro? I would like to sync the H115i RGB fans with the LL140 RGB if possible.

I was thinking maybe an RGB splitter which would connect to one of the H115i fan's RGB connectors? Would that be possible?

It should be possible, from a technical standpoint, to use an RGB Fan Splitter on the H115i Platinum connectors as long as you use the ML fans that ship with the cooler. Using any other kind of fan may exceed the power available on the cooler - you want to stay under a max of 32 total LEDs. With 2x ML and 1x LL, you'd have a total of 24 LEDs.

However, from a software/configuration standpoint, it only supports 2 fans of a single type. You could configure this as 2 LL fans but effects would definitely be off with the ML fans.

Hello and thank you for your useful replies. I understand there can be a conflict with the LL fans as they have more RGBs than the ML fans. Fortunately, I just realized that the LL fans do not use the magnetic levitation technology, so actually I would like to use the ML140 RGB fan instead.

So, if I use an ML140 RGB fan with a spliter RGB cable connected to one of the two RGB plugs of the H115i Platinum will the effects be in sync? Also do you think there be any issues with power draw for the 2 ML RGB fans sharing the same RGB cable?

Thank you again very much for your time and help.

A last question! I find that the cost to buy an 1 to 3 slitter cable is around the same for the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub. Would that work by using one of the H115i RGB connector as an input for the hub and then use two of its outputs for two fans? The information on Corsair's website is very limited for this product.

First, it would have to be a Corsair RGB Splitter and I've never seen a 1-3 splitter for the Corsair RGB.

Second, it would be possible to connect an RGB Fan connector to a Fan Hub. You'd have some control challenges with that, though - the fans don't duplicate the signal (parallel) but run in series.

Check out http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174759 for info about the connectors.

Thanks again DevBiker for your reply. I have only found a 1-2 splitter for Corsair RGB on ebay and its quite pricey including the shipping and possible import taxes, so I want to avoid that way.

What do you mean by "the fans don't duplicate the signal (parallel) but run in series. " ?

So, the RGB connectors that plug into the Corsair RGB plug do not get the same signals (in sync) ?

I would like to avoid making my own cables for the fuss of it, so the other option I would consider is to use a 1-3 splitter and use the pin adapters that come with it. I am worried though with the polarity of these as I dont want to risk burning the LEDs..

The Corsair RGB connector is different from the PWM connector. I'm not sure what that 1-3 splitter is but it's not likely to work with the Corsair RGB unless you do your own cable.

And the Corsair RGB system allows you to control each individual LED separately if you want. They can be sync'd if you like ... or not. With a splitter, the two on the splitter will be sync'd (getting the same control signal). But connecting the fan connector to a fan hub wouldn't work because of that. The fan hub doesn't send the same control signal to every fan - instead, it passes the control signal from one fan to the next.

Again thank you very much for your very kind explanation DevBiker.

It seems really annoying this. So if I just want to sync two RGB ML fans I have to buy the Commander pro and the RGB Hub. That sounds way too expensive and unreasonable.

Archived