Corsair Community

H100 - Fan Control Not Working/LED Lights Dead

mrguppy

This morning I woke up to find the LEDs on the fan controller, how can I put this, intermittently lit? The LEDs that light up the fan phases are completely dead, except for one LED that's lit on the bottom right hand corner. The 120mm fans on the H100 radiator are spinning erratically (fast/slow/fast/slow), each phase lasting about 6 seconds each.

- Unplugged/replugged the power pins to the controller; nothing.

*edit - I've had the H100 for approx. 2 weeks now.

*edit - Just read RAM_GUY's suggestion on trying to reset the firmware; will update with results.

*edit - Had no success trying to reset the firmware on the controller.

*edit - Submitted request for RMA.

Help? Suggestions? :[pouts:

Hi , this seems to be becoming a common problem with the H80/H100 , please try the below procedure originally posted by RAM guy as it has helped in some cases :-

Please try this with the system cold do not do it with a Hot system. turn the system on and let it boot to a memtest disk or any boot disk just dont let it go to Windows. Once it stable then push and hold the Profile button it should go through a series of blinks and then go back to what it was then turn the system off and wait a min or so and turn it back on once its up and running press the profile Button and listen for each of the profile settings this will force the reset of the firmware.

Rebooted the system to a boot disk as requested. Waited until system was stable and then pressed and held the profile button down. The controller didn't go through a series of blinks. Turned off the system and waited for 5 mins. Turned the system back on and waited until it was fully loaded. Pressed the profile button and still nothing. :/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Having similar problem to mrgruppy; No LED's, One fan working.

Tried to reset firmware as described above, still no LED's & now both fans not working.

Can you reset firmware whilst in Bios (Del) or in Bootup (F8) plz as I have no boot-up disc. (Running Windows 7 Pro 64Bit)

If so I'll try leaving it cool for an hour or 2 & try again.

edit> Ditto cavecreekaz, pump appears to be working as cpu temps are ok & one of the fans has switched itself back on again, go figure, but still no Led's so I presume it is indeed a firmware problem; still trying to reset firmware as indicated above because I really don't feel like pulling mobo out again & waiting, very lazy, very sad.

ty

Jake

RMA'd unit to my supplier here in Melbourne Australia to sort out:

Just wondering if this problem with some of these units or batches has been diagnosed & corrected please?

I'd sooner wait for the problem to be sorted rather than have to pull another out again.

Thank You

Hiflo

Hi again.........I have an RMA to send the H100 back to NewEgg for a replacement. BUT I haven't been thrilled with the thought of it maybe going out again or even if it stays working of reaching in my case everytime I wanted a quiet session. Also the idea of paying $80+ for the not here yet link kinda bugged me.

After ordering a fan controller that works off the MB CPU fan plug and sees the percent of fan that you programed into Smart Fan in Bios. The contoller passes that along to it's 6 fan controller so you can have some sort of fan controll for more than one fan. The controller is the Sunbeam PL-RS-6 Rheosmart and runs $30.00 from NewEgg.

Well havn't got it yet but wanted to find a set and forget solution and ran into "SpeedFan" at http://www.almico.com. This has been around for years but Alfredo has a slick Beta Version that works in Windows 7. Keep in mind I've done all the "Find a quieter fan thing", even picked up some Magma #UCMA12 fans at 70 CFM and 18db for $11. A nice alternative for the Cougar Fans that are always out of stock and more money. But I liked the way the H100 stock fans cooled at it's variable 46cfm to 92cfm (22db to 39db). There plenty quiet on low and when your at 4.8 on a 2600K with Hyper Threading on (No cheating here) nothing beats that 92cfm. I don't care about the noise when using Prime95 as normal overclocked daily use won't get close to those heat levels. Anyhow to make a long story a little shorter here's what I came up with:

Downloaded Speed Fan at http://www.almico.com, hunt around and download both versions V4.44 and V4.45beta. You may get a different result but I had to install V4.44 then V4.45beta to get it to work. Now if your like me it was confusing as hell to figure out how everything works in SpeedFan. For one when you go to config and see Fans, all it is is check offs to see fan rpms on the main screen. Fans is really called Speeds. I found a 2007 post at http://unitstep.net/blog/2007/11/02/using-speedfan-to-automatically-control-your-pcs-fan-speeds/. A little outdated but was a lifesaver!

OK you downloaded speedfan, find what MB fan connectors are controlled by your bios. On my MSI (P67A-GD65) its the CPU fan, Sysfan1 and 2 plus my Asus HD6870 shows up. I ended up using my Sysfan1 instead of CPUfan because for some reason I couldn't control the fan, showed up in 25% or whatever I set in SpeedFan and CPUHWMonitor but didn't affect the fans. So on Sysfan 1 I plugged in a splitter and connected up both Corsairs H100 fans. then in SpeedFan I setup as follows.

Go to "Config" then "Temeratures". Find what you want to use for temps, I used Core 2, check it. Click on Core 2 and set temps. Mine we're "Desired" 50 and "Warning" 70. Click + and find the "Speed" which is actually a fan and correspondes to a MB fan connector and check it. You may have to check all the "Speeds" then go to the main page and uncheck "Automatic fan Speed" and run your speed percentages up and down and figure which fan you want.

Go to "Fans" and check them all as it simply puts the rpm's on the main page.

Go to "Speeds" (really means fans) and check the fan your setting up. Then click on it and on the bottom set your values. This is percent of fan power. I set mine at Minimum 40% and Maximum at 75%. Then check "Automatically variated. What will happen is the fans will work between the Min and Max values to keep what you picked in temps at the "Desired" temp setting you input. Also when the temp hits the "Warning" temp you set in "Temperature" it will automatically go to 100% no matter your settings.....NICE!!!!!!

If you want to get into it more there's "Fan Control" and the Advanced box.

For the final step you need to have SpeedFan in your start menu. Go to Programs then Startup, right click and go to "Open all Users" now leave that open and go to where you have your SpeedFan folder and go to Speedfan.exe and make a shortcut. Now drag the shortcut over to the Startup folder. Close and your done.

To wrap this up..................Oh..Almost forgot, your Corsair H100 fans for whatever reason won't show any rpm. Not sure why as the other 3 pin Magma's did but doesn't matter still works great!! I also found on my setup if you go below 30% the fans stop but takes 45% to fire back up again. I set mine at Min 40% as that was super quiet and unless you go below and they stop you don't have to worry about startup.

Now my H100 with stock fans are the quietest thing in the room!!But when thing warm up it does the job!! Imagine a quiet computer case, fire up Prime95 and as the temps come up so do the fans. If I get to 70c (which I do) it goes full 92cfm, kill off Prime and whoosh..in a minute I hear nothing!!!

I know this was kinda long but I wished somebody would have done it before me, saves a lot of time!!

Just thought of something kind of slick!!!

If you want another set of fans on you H100 push, pull, whatever you can set up the fans on another MB fan header and you can give it different specs in SpeedFan!!! Like at 75c fire up the fans at so and so percentage.

Cavecreekaz

I was stumped on why SpeedFan wouldn't control my H100 fans from the 4 pin CPU fan header. Well after much searching found out the 4 pin supply's full on 12V and is speed controled by the 4th wire to modulate it off and on (PWM). So if you have a 3 pin there is no control, just flat out 12V. You could pick up a PWM fan but I simply used another 3 pin header. BUT turns out the fan controller I am picking up (see above post) ties into the 4 pin header to provide precise control for your fans. Since Speedfan can control the CPU fan header you have more precise control than thru Bios. Also the Sunbeam fan controller can be switched fan by fan to manual control also....Sweeeeeet!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This morning I woke up to find the LEDs on the fan controller, how can I put this, intermittently lit? The LEDs that light up the fan phases are completely dead, except for one LED that's lit on the bottom right hand corner. The 120mm fans on the H100 radiator are spinning erratically (fast/slow/fast/slow), each phase lasting about 6 seconds each.

- Unplugged/replugged the power pins to the controller; nothing.

Help? Suggestions? :[pouts:

+ I tried reseting the system. now my fans works %100. i tried reset again nothing happens. Pump is working but the noise :sigh!: its killing me.

If i go and bought new one, and then i send you old one can you send me something else in return? e.g. another USB GTR may be.

I am saying this because i live in Turkey. and RMA times can be so long. i can't wait that long. Or you could just send me new one and than i send you old one if its ok with you. would you lease help me. And i attached picture pumps LED(s)

20121117_043922.thumb.jpg.46dcab4b685fcf18a963f60176a9d2ae.jpg

• Corsair Employee
but when i push the button the fan speed doesnt change, any suggestions?

The fan speed does not happen right away... you will need to put load (Prime95) then let the coolant get warm and start changing profiles, only then there is an audible difference from 3 speed profiles.

If i go and bought new one, and then i send you old one can you send me something else in return? e.g. another USB GTR may be.

I am saying this because i live in Turkey. and RMA times can be so long. i can't wait that long. Or you could just send me new one and than i send you old one if its ok with you. would you lease help me. And i attached picture pumps LED(s)

Please use the link on the left to submit and RMA request, once your RMA has been approved, you can call our customer service and as for an advance replacement to avoid down time.

The fan speed does not happen right away... you will need to put load (Prime95) then let the coolant get warm and start changing profiles, only then there is an audible difference from 3 speed profiles.

Please use the link on the left to submit and RMA request, once your RMA has been approved, you can call our customer service and as for an advance replacement to avoid down time.

I was told there ARE NO advance replacements available yesterday by JUSTIN. I was told to send my faulty unit in and it could possibly be a month or more until I get another unit. So basically have my pc down this long, NO THANKS.

Archived