Corsair Community

Corsair H80 Balanced profile: Not altering fan speed at all?

persentio

Hi Corsair,

I refer to what CorsairGeorge mentioned on another forum about the H80's fan speed profiles:

The "Low Noise", "Balanced", and "High Performance" settings are not strict fan RPMs, but performance curves that let the fans spin up based on internal coolant temp. Their settings are as follows:

Low Noise - 900 RPM to 1300 RPM

Balanced - 1300 RPM to 2000 RPM

High Perf - 1600 RPM to 2600 RPM

I've the H80 now and using the Balanced mode, however the fans seemingly keep a constant rpm in the high range (I'd say anywhere from 1700-2000).

I say this because the noise coming from the fans stays pretty much EXACTLY the same regardless of when my system is idle (minimum 37 degrees) or on load (maximum 68 degrees).

No way of me telling the exact rpms of the fans because I don't believe the sensors work when the fans are plugged into the H80 unit; and I don't have a tachometer either.

Is it possible to know the coolant temperatures and corresponding fan RPMs for the different settings that vary the fan RPM? Just want to make sure I don't have a faulty unit.

Thanks for any help!

• Corsair Employee

The fan changes RPM based on the coolant temp, not the CPU temp. When the coolant hits 40C, the fans will be maxed out. The coolant temp runs a lot lower than CPU temp, and it's possible if your CPU is 68C, that the coolant is still well under 40C.

That being said, does it change the fan RPM when it's on "high" mode?

The fan changes RPM based on the coolant temp, not the CPU temp. When the coolant hits 40C, the fans will be maxed out. The coolant temp runs a lot lower than CPU temp, and it's possible if your CPU is 68C, that the coolant is still well under 40C.

That being said, does it change the fan RPM when it's on "high" mode?

Thanks Corsair George!

Nope; it pretty much runs at a constant maximum or near maximum speed regardless of idle or on load on Performance mode as well.. Noise stays consistently loud throughout (much louder than when the fans are on Balanced mode)

I thought that is the problem you had? (fans on full all the time) - that is the problem I had until I plugged the fans into the pump unit.

No my problem is my fans are connected to the PUMP and yet they are not exactly varying the fan rpms as they should per their profiles.

• Corsair Employee
The difference of 400 RPM for example is hard to tell by the naked ear if fact I would have to say its impossible and depending on the other ambient noise associated with your system it may be had to tell where the noise is coming from. However to test I would as suggest connect the fans to the CPU Fan header directly and see if the fan speed changes. Or as George suggested change the setting to low and then to high and see if you can tell the difference. If you do not hear any difference when connected to the pump and you have it connected properly then I would suggest an RMA and we can try and replace the unit.

The difference of 400 RPM for example is hard to tell by the naked ear if fact I would have to say its impossible and depending on the other ambient noise associated with your system it may be had to tell where the noise is coming from. However to test I would as suggest connect the fans to the CPU Fan header directly and see if the fan speed changes. Or as George suggested change the setting to low and then to high and see if you can tell the difference. If you do not hear any difference when connected to the pump and you have it connected properly then I would suggest an RMA and we can try and replace the unit.

Hi Ram Guy,

That's quite true; however I believe there are certain 'magic' rpms where the next difference of 100-200rpm can become VERY obvious. My system is very quiet on idle and load (GPU fan speed capped to what I would be able to tolerate) so ambient noise wouldn't be a factor for me.

I do have the Corsair H60 PWM fan on hand to test out on the various fan speeds, and the H80 fans on Balanced are definitely running somewhere close to or slightly above 1700 rpm even on idle. The difference of 1300rpm to say 1700rpm is definitely detectable on close distance.

Then also, for the H80 fans running on Performance profile, the fan noise is significantly louder than what the fans are running at on idle using the Balanced profile, so I would reckon it's definitely above 2000rpm and it never dips below that.

Having said that, the fan speeds also do not seem to ramp up even under load as well, so it could just perhaps be me having higher than average; constant coolant temps. After all, where I'm at its mostly hot all year around

• Corsair Employee
The load on the system will not immediately increase the fans only after it reaches a certain temp will the change speed so say for example you run something that loads the system for 10 Min while the CPU temp may rise the coolant temp may not rise enough to kick it to the next level so the fans would remain constant.

Archived