Corsair Community

RMA Case #5253599

Adambean

Hello there,

I bought a Corsair Gold Series AX850 PSU on 4th November, and it appeared to be dead on arrival. I tried the paperclip test (outside my PC case) with a fan connected as described on Corsair's technical support (and YouTube video), and it still appeared dead. Specifically, when it got a PS_ON signal it just made 2 clicks, the fan started to spin for half a second, then cut off.

I sent this PSU back to Corsair using their RMA service. This wasn't cheap :( cost me £36 to ship it from UK to Netherlands!

Corsair accepted my RMA quickly, though it took 11 days to replace as the part was in high demand (a lot of them going faulty?). Anyway, I received a replacement part on Tuesday 27th/Nov. I put it in my PC and it had the exact same issue. The only difference is that my PC turned on for about 20 seconds, then cut off. It then just did the two clicks that the first PSU did. Paperclip test failed again.

I did add a message to my RMA case (5253599) on Wednesday 28th/Nov but I've not had a response.

My problem is that I am certainly not paying £36 AGAIN to ship a part to Corsair, when I've been sent a dead part to replace an already dead part. Corsair are clearly at fault here, and making me pay shipping again is completely unacceptable.

How can I get this issue resolved? Corsair don't appear to have any mailbox I can send a message to, and international phone calls are not cheap (I've paid more than my fair share to get this faulty part replaced).

Thanks for reading :)

Got a reply:

Having the same problem after getting a new replacement is pretty slim. That suggest that there is something else causing the issue. Have you look into this, http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166

I don't think Corsair have been reading/understanding the issue I'm having with both PSU's, as that thread is completely irrelevant.

• Corsair Employee

Adambean

I am sorry but let's make sure that we are on the same page first please.

This part has a very low failure rate less than 1% so what you have described would suggest there may be some other problem.

So let us please clarify a few things that may be deceiving you in your testing.

1. The fan in the PSU will not come on till the internal temp raises above 49 Deg C and or there is at least 40% load on the PSU.

2. You really need to do the testing with a spinning HDD and case fan attached; many of the higher wattage PSU's have to have a minimum load of about 1 Amp before they will power on.

If you are only connecting a case fan to do the Paper clip test it may not be anough load.

So if at all possible please try testing it again and connect a Spinning HDD and a case fan and test it again. You should see the case fan spinning and the HDD start to spin up.

Hi RAM Guy, thanks for your suggestions :)

I connected the power cable for the 2 SATA hard disks then switched on the PSU. Heard the double-click again, but the hard disks didn't spin up.

The cable with 4 molex connectors was already attached, which has a case fan, E-SATA power (though empty), front bay card reader (though probably for the E-SATA port on it so empty) and blu-ray RW connected too.

Also tried with just the 2 hard disks connected in case any of the E-SATA's were shorting somewhere, no change.

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry but lets see what we find with the PSU you return, I have it being sent to Engineering to be tested and new unit will be dispatched to you ASAP.

Did you call our customer service to arrange an advanced replacement?

I guess so. Got a message from a customer service rep,

Dear Adam,

We have requested a call tag for your return. Please allow 2-3 business days to contact UPS to arrange a pick up date and time. Once we have received the defective power supply we will ship the replacement.

Please contact us if you have any further questions.

• 1 month later...

Hm, I think the 2nd replacement PSU may also be of bad quality.

I've tried it connected to 2 motherboards now and both of them fail to start up (they don't POST). A paper clip does make the PSU and connected components start (a fan, 2 hard disks, and a blu-ray RW), though Gigabyte have tested the 2nd motherboard with my processor and memory and found no issues at all. I even received a photo of them testing it out along with a screen shot of it running CPU-Z and AIDA64. They are suggesting the PSU is faulty.

If that should be the case, could I get a 2nd swap?

Here are two videos of what is happening when I power on the system:

• Corsair Employee

There has to be some other issue, have you tested the PSU on another system or tested another PSU on this system?

Also from your Video the system posts with out the Video card have you tested the system with another Video card?

Looks like it could be another PSU fault.

An OCZ ZX Series 850W Gold PSU arrived today, and instantly the PC powers on fine. It did give me a BIOS error beep though (1 long then 2 short) along with a number showing on the diagnostic LED display, indicating the video card couldn't be started. I swapped the Gigabyte GTX 560Ti for my old 2x BFG 8800GT (SLi) and the system POST's fine.

Even without the dying video card there the Corsair PSU still failed to power on the PC. This being the 3rd PSU I've had now from Corsair (1 originally purchased and 2 replacements) I think I'd rather have a refund than a replacement... there must be a bad batch going out or something. Especially with the OCZ PSU starting the computer up with no issues at all.

• Corsair Employee
Try it with just the 4 Pin cable. Take the 8-Pin cable out and hold it with the plug facing away from you and the licking clip on top then separate the cable into two 4-pin cables and the one in your right hand should be inserted and see if the system will post

Archived