Corsair Community

HX750 (GOLD) really loud fan

loukas77

Hello. This is my first post here.

I recently built my new PC (less than 3 weeks ago) and I had the HX650 Gold edition as a PSU. Since it made a squeaking noise that is best described if heard, you can find it

Well, I took back my PSU to the retailer I bought it, and after one week without PC they finally called me back to tell me that it is a common problem with the first shipment of HX650s, so they advised me to either get an HX750 or any other PSU i would like, or a full refund, because if they gave me another HX650 the problem would most likely be there. I decided to go with the HX750, paid the price difference and got it yesterday.

After installing it, everything was fine. No more of the squeaking. Now the problem: when the PSU load goes up, the fan starts spinning (normal). However, it does not just spin quietly as anyone would expect from a 25-30% load. It spins at full speed (and noise) for about 3 seconds, and AFTER that it goes down to spin on the (quiet) speed it's supposed to.

I want to know if this is how the HX750s behave or if my fan (or the fan controller maybe) is faulty, because the 650 did not spin at 100% and then go down to quiet levels. It was always quiet (except when squeaking).

It's not like that the PC drains so much power that the fan needs to spin at 100% speed, because this does not only happens when gaming, it happens and on casual web browsing, if the fan starts spinning. In general, every time the fan needs to start spinning, it starts at 100% and then drops at the right speed. Is this normal? I think not. Should I take my brand new HX750 back to the shop and be one more week PC-less?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

P.S.: Minor question: The psu does a slight "clank" sound when the pc is powered off. Is this normal? I consider this normal, as my previous PSU (on my old PC) does the same, it's just that the HX650 did not do it.

Thanks for your reply. So you are telling me that this is the normal behavior of the fan? To spin on 100% whenever it starts and only after that it will go to the normal speed?

I didn't find that normal, that's why I asked here so I knew if I should take it back to the retailer, however if this is indeed the normal behavior, well, I'm a little disappointed by my "quiet" PSU, but I can live with it (I can't consider it quiet if it makes noise every time it needs to start spinning. It just would be better if the fan was always on, at it's normal speed).

Please just confirm that the fan should spin at 100% speed *every* time it needs to spin, even at very low loads (20-25% I guess since I'm only listening to music, or browsing the net)

Thanks again for your answer.

Thanks, please keep me informed. If the fan does not stop spinning (after the ramp up), then it is quiet, even during heavy gaming. The fan spins but at it's normal quiet level. On the other side, if the fan stops completely, and after a minute it needs to start again, It goes up to full speed and then down to normal. Every single time it needs to start spinning. Please ask an engineer and let me know if this is how it should behave. Thank you!

• Corsair Employee

I just had a quick meeting with Engineering and this is how it should work.

When the system is first powered on or when it wakes from sleep or standby the fan will ramp to 100% then either go off or run at a slow speed depending on the load and temp. and only ramp up under a full load or of the internal temp goes above about 50 deg C.

If this is how your PSU is working then I would say it is normal. if it is not working like this then please use the link on the left and request an RMA and let me know the case number so I can have this unit tested here in our LAB.

Wow you're fast :P Thanks. I will do some testing tomorrow about the temperature, however I'm pretty sure it is not above 50C, but I will take out of the case to see if the problem continues, and measure the temp.

May I ask you how long an RMA process takes? Because I really need my PC these days (many projects need to be done), and the 1 week without PSU before really set me off schedule. Is there a way to minimize the time I will be without PC? I'll keep you posted tomorrow. Thanks!

OK I have the PSU out of my system. Here's how it behaves:

The fan NEVER spins, no matter how much load I put on it (I tried running CPU and GPU stress tests simultaneously so I would draw as much power as possible). It only starts spinning when it reaches a warm (for the hand) temperature, let's assume that it is 50C. So as you said this is the normal behavior. However shouldn't the fan start spinning *quietly* when the PSU goes above 20% load? In my case this never happens. The fan only responds to temperature and does not respond to load, no matter how much power I ask from the PSU. Is it how it should work? Or should I RMA it?

P.S.: I'm sure that the HX650 responded to PSU load too, not only temperature, because the fan would start spinning from time to time, but it was spinning in a quiet speed. Never at 100%, cause it never reached above 50C)

You didn't quite understand me. The fan never spins in response to load. The PSU waits to reach 50C and then it starts spinning (at full speed).

Shouldn't it start spinning quietly when it reaches more than 20% load? It does not do that. Only when it gets warm

• Corsair Employee
Shouldn't it start spinning quietly when it reaches more than 20% load?

No, the fan would only spin if it reaches around 40% load given the temp is reaching 50C. The fan is controlled both by temp and load, it's a combination of both.

Is there a way to tell the power supply to simply run the fan all the time? It's whisper quiet when running. It's only the annoying start/stop that causes the buzzing and humming.

So your PSU starts spinning at 100% every time it needs to start too? And I agree it would be better if the fan was on all the time, instead of having to make noise when starting and then be perfectly quiet.

I asked another owner of the HX750 and he told me that he never ever heard the fan, not even when spinning (his fan never started spinning at 100% speed). So I'm pretty much convinced my fan controller is faulty, and I'm gonna RMA my unit.

Thank you very much Ram Guy, I really value your help and I hope that you pass our thoughts.

What we are talking about here is not fan noise on "nearly full load". We are talking about noise when the fan starts spinning. As you said to me this is when 40% load occurs (though on the box it says 20%). However, the fan does not start spinning quietly. That's what disturbs us (and, I say again, the HX650 did not behave that way, the fan was always quiet).

Yes, the PSU is COMPLETELY silent at low loads (great). Yes, the PSU is VERY silent at high gaming-stressing loads (amazing). It is noisy at the time between those 2 phases (bad).

We that is a different issue than what the O.P. Posted but yes I agree and this issue you are talking about in this quote we have addressed and have fixed the issue.

I post here because I don't want to ruin Valid's thread.

You meant the issue that I posted has been fixed, or the issue that Valid has posted? If you were referring to my issue, then should I RMA my unit? And the new fan will be quiet?

However, the fan does not start spinning quietly. That's what disturbs us (and, I say again, the HX650 did not behave that way, the fan was always quiet).

Yes, the PSU is COMPLETELY silent at low loads (great). Yes, the PSU is VERY silent at high gaming-stressing loads (amazing). It is noisy at the time between those 2 phases (bad).

I want to know if this problem is already fixed too !!

btw: I atached one artic f12 pwm fan with double side tape in front of my psu intake to get continues airflow into the psu , now it's quiet . (thanks Artic!)

• Corsair Employee

The Issue the other poster had was slightly different and on another model of PSU so it is not related to you. However it may seem like it is the same but its not.

And Danidasanic,

The issue with most of these questions seem to be more in how it works in that the newer version of our PSU's support fan-less operation and the fan speed will change depending on Load and temp of the unit internally.

In addition, there a few models in the GS and TX line that have displayed a clicking sound in certain power range which we have corrected in our production. So it is two issue but because they are both about the fan it may seem more wide spread than it really is.

In loukas77's case I dont think the PSU is making a noise per say it is just louder at times because of the fan speed changing ( Correct me if I am wrong loukas77) so it is not related to you except that the symptom sounds like it might be but it is not...

well .. my problem is this hybrid\fan-less noise operation system , this fan should start with low rpm first but it's the opposite . Many people here have already wrotte about this and if Corsair do nothing about this , they will loose more buyers for sure cuz this noise is far from great for an psu with this price

psu: hx 850 gold

Archived