Corsair Community

CPU temperature reported doesn't appear correct.

Streetwolf

I'm having a weird problem with the reported CPU temp in v1.2.7.0 of the CL software. At idle CL reports a temp that is about 5c lower than all the other monitors I use. Conversely, when stressing my CPU CL shows a CPU temp that is about 10-15% higher than my other monitors.

Any explanation for this or a fix? Since I use CPU temp to control my H100 fans I had to take this temp discrepancy into account when setting up a Custom Profile. I am assuming CL is wrong and my other monitors are right.

My specs:

Intel Core i7 Quad 3770K @ 4.6 Ghz|

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe MoBo|

Corsair Professional Series 1050W PSU|

Corsair Obsidian 800D Case|

Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler|

Corsair Link|

Corsair Dominator-GT 16GB PC3-17000 @ 2400 Mhz|

Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC Edition|

Dual ASUS PA246Q IPS 24" LCDs|

Samsung SSD 830 256GB|

1-2TB, 2-3TB Seagate SATA3|

Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate|

CL_idle.thumb.png.2b2026ee805e5d3936744001c253bed6.png

CL_CPU_Stressed.thumb.png.f0378a7aa1ca89b6f07d3bd94bd1c124.png

I've run the CL software and my other monitors, including PC-Probe, one at a time and CL is always lower at idle and higher at full CPU load.

And while I'm at it I had a situation when I started my machine this morning where I had two pump devices and four H100 fan devices. Also had other multiple devices. All of these were flashing red. I had to uninstall CL and delete some registry entries to clear things up.

If you've read my other post Possible bug in CL 1.2.7.0 software perhaps this has some bearing on my CPU temp problem as well as other problems. The author of SIV is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to hardware and it's software.

• Corsair Employee
CL software uses the same WMI info that other programs pull from. For our single temp point given, it is actually the average of the individual cores. Unless you have a program that specifically does this as well you wont see an exact match. Most monitoring programs will have CPU (Socket), CPU (package), and CPU cores. CL would not match any of those.

• Corsair Employee

As for the phantom devices, we will try to re create the issues. If this happens again you should be able to just manually delete the saved profile and rebuild it or just right click the icon and select "Hide Device".

In V1 the profiles are saved in C:users/<user>/my documents/corsair/corsair link. They can be moved out of the folder for testing or deleted. If no profiles are present it will re scan and build your device list again. If you already tried this and still received ghost icons please let us know.

CL software uses the same WMI info that other programs pull from. For our single temp point given, it is actually the average of the individual cores. Unless you have a program that specifically does this as well you wont see an exact match. Most monitoring programs will have CPU (Socket), CPU (package), and CPU cores. CL would not match any of those.

Average Core value makes sense. Now it jives with the average Core value of my other monitors. Perhaps you should rename CPU Temp to Core Temp? I most certainly will.

This brings me to another bone of contention. There is practically no documentation on the CL software. If a piece of software could use some in-depth doc the CL software is it.

One more bone. Hooking up my Case fans to the cooling module doesn't enable me to control these fans speeds. As they are the fans that came with my 800D case I would think that if any fans should work these should.

OK... the last one. What is the max RPM of the H100 radiator fans? I've seen them reported up to 4000RPM.

• Corsair Employee

I understand your frustration with the complete lack of documentation that exists from Corsair on the CL software. A full software manual was in the works as far as I know, but it was never completed before we got V2 ready for release. We plan on updating it for the V2 release, however I do not have a solid date for its release at this time.

The fans in the 800D should be able to be controlled with the Cooling node if using the firmware update 1.2.5. Using the stock firmware the range of adjustment on lower speed fans, such as the case fans, is very small if any at all.

The max RPM for the H100/80 fans is 2800 RPM +/- 10%. That is in free air, once installed on the radiator they run generally around 2600 to 2700 RPM. Not sure why they would report 4k RPM. Will they consistently stay at 4k or just spike from time to time?

Thank you for your feedback and we take it all into consideration for future releases.

Upon further investigation it seems that the average core temp as reported in CL is about 5c less than what other monitors report. I wonder if it could be related to TjMAX. I have an Ivy Bridge CPU where TjMAx is 105c. Perhaps CL is using ~100c???

As far as my H100 fans go even though the RPMS might show 2300 or higher the fans are real quiet. When I set the performance mode to max RPMS then the fans become very loud. This seems to indicate that the RPM readings are incorrect.

Archived