Corsair Community

XMS2 PC2 8500 (2X1gb) & Asus P5W DH Deluxe

n1smo

Hi There,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.... I did a quick search on the forums but i couldn't see the answer.

I've been running the PC2 8500 memory with the P5W DH deluxe at the Corsair tested settings (1066MHz @ 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2V). This has been running stabily (in terms of running applications and OS, but I haven't ever run memtest) for just under a year. A few days ago, however, both memory modules inexplicably died during a shutdown-restart cycle (where I had to remove the power cable from the PC). Both modules are now completely dead.

My first guest was that the culprit was the power supply (I was using a 600W Akasa supply), so I have swapped in another (Thermaltake Toughpower 600W).

My question is this:

Was this a problem with the memory (ie, a bad pair of modules), or was it an issue with the memory/motherboard compatibility?

The BIOS allows me to set the memory to this speed, and 2.2V, so I assume that it is capable of running this setup. Shall I purchase the same memory and use the same settings, or will this just cause the memory to be destroyed/damaged again? Has the XMS2 PC28500 been tested by Corsair on this particular MB?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I'm sorry again if this has been asked before.

Cheers,

Tom

Ok, I tried going ahead with the 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15, 2.2V setup.

Boots up fine from the bios into windows, and everything seems to be running fine. However, if I restart the PC i get a warning message:

'Overclock or overvoltage failure' and I need to go back into the BIOS in reduce the speed/voltage.

Currently I'm running at 800Mhz with the auto-setting for the other settings. Everything fine, no problems in startup.

I guess the MB just doesn't like this speed.

Does anyone know if this has been changed in a BIOS update?

Cheers,

Tom

Archived