Corsair Community

Need Help Choosing a Keyboard

Azad

New to the forum and would like to get your thoughts on my first mechanical keyboard. I'm old enough to have used a mechanical (IBM) but I'm unsure which would be a better fit for my needs, the K70 or the K95. Price wise they are about the same with the major difference being switch type and the extra macro keys. Desk space isn't an issue. Comfort is important as my missus also uses "my" gaming rig for work. I play mostly strategy type games and some FPS games but use a gaming keypad (green company) for FPS since I have only partial use of one of my hands.

Wife is a touch typist and knows Excel inside and out. I type the occasional report and email. I guess I'm looking for an all rounder. The question then is...

1. Would the macro keys work for productivity type of tasks?

2. Which model is more reliable as I'm hearing issues with the LEDs. K70 or K95?

1. Would the macro keys work for productivity type of tasks?

2. Which model is more reliable as I'm hearing issues with the LEDs. K70 or K95?

I tried using the macro keys on the K95 and they worked only in hardware mode, same as the M95 that I have (hardware playback only). I guess this depends on the software you are using, still the macros worked.

Unfortunately I had to return the K95, twice. One had scratches and a palm rest nut that fell out, the other had a faulty, squeaking volume wheel. In addition one of the K95s and a K70 (blue switch/LED) both locked up on me, continually outputting certain keys. As I was going to use the keyboard mainly for work that was unacceptable for me. Still I'm willing to give those keyboards a try in the future when all the issues are corrected. The K70 with the silver gray plate and blue LEDs is a beautiful keyboard. The K95 black plate / white LEDs not so much, in my opinion, but you can always paint the underside of the key-caps whatever color you like. With a good marker even.

Make shure you and your wife know which switches you both like. In the end I could not suffer the cherry reds for typing.

I'm going to wait till next year, and hopefully Corsair will release the K95 with MX blue switches.

Thanks TomM... exactly the answer I needed. I had hoped to hear someone with no issues with the K70 as this is the keyboard that I'm more interested in. The LED issue is the only one stopping me from getting one as I game really late at night and the backlight is very important to me. If I can find someone who has used one with no issues for 6 months then I'd drop the coins for it. Blues are our first choice as she likes the clicky sound. I wish the K95 had other options other than reds.

Yes... I may just wait for the K95 to have other switch options. I tried the reds at a local store and they were just too light for my taste.

Archived