Corsair Community

2x CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 - Can it work?

nachot

I bought a single CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB stick to test in the computer I built. Since it worked, I figured I'd buy a second identical 4GB stick. Either one works by itself but with I put them in together (in either of the two slots on the MB), the computer won't boot and won't even get to the BIOS settings.

After reading other posts, am I to understand that the only sure way to get 2x 4GB is to buy them in a kit (as in CMX8GX3M2A1333C9)?

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nachot,

Did you get your memory issue resolved?

I have found that 'matched sets' are not necessarily a requirement although it would be recommended.

For example, I am running two different sets of CMD8GX3M2A1866C9 (ie two sets of 2 x 4 GB DDR3 in a Z97 board for a total of 16GB and it not only works fine, the memory is currently running at 1866 with 9-10-9-24-2T timings, without XMP needed.

I mention it only to let you know it is not a hard and fast 'rule' that the DIMMs be from a matched set, it is of course recommended as they are tested together.

If you have it working then great and congratulations! If not, perhaps reset the BIOS to default and see if it will POST. If you can get it to POST then you should be home free just 'maybe' not at the 1333 Mhz rate. Also, you might try Booting with one stick then get into the BIOS and loosen the timings a bit, save and exit, power down, install second stick, and try to POST.

Short of that I'm afraid I am not familiar enough with that mobo to be of any further assistance .. but I wish you well!

Again, congrats if you have it sorted out. I just noticed no one had replied and thought I'd check to see how things were going.

Best Regards,

OldSchooler

Archived