Corsair Community

Will CMP16GX3M4X1600C7 (4Gx4 kit) work in an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard?

jack.labout

I am asking this question because the CMP16GX3M4X1600C7 memory kit is not listed anywhere in the Memory Guide for any X79 or X58 motherboard. My friend needs 12G memory to run all the apps in his development system. I am willing to buy the four DIMM kit to get a 3x4G (12G total) at 1.5V memory configuration into his system.

The 6x2G (12G total) at 1.6V memory configuration he is running now suffers from all the X58 chipset issues having to do with not finding all the memory. It is non-Corsair memory that runs 6-6-6-18-1T timings at 1333 MHZ and it runs reliably per 24hr test (WMD, Memtest, Prime) cycles. The problem is that the first boot in the morning never finds all the memory, but the 2nd boot after the system reaches operating temperatures always finds all the memory ... consistently.

I should like to upgrade the memory in his system to something that runs cooler, puts less stress on the 975x memory controller, but still has decent performance ... 9-9-9-27-2T (or worse) is not decent performance, in my opinion, and especially when those slow timings require 1.65V to make the memory run at all.

Since I am putting a 4x4G CMP16GX3M4X1600C7 kit into my Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard, I thought the same memory might work in his X58 motherboard.

FYI, the system in question runs a PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1200W PSU behind an APC UPS. The 975x is cooled by a ThermalRight 120 Ultimate Extreme HSF. All of the 800D case fans have been replaced by Scythe 120mm and/or 140mm units; more SF21F fans were added to further improve air circulation inside the case (Heat is the enemy of all things electronic.).

Thanks for the help ...

• Corsair Employee
The CMP16GX3M4X1600C7 is compatible with your friend’s system, but I would only install three modules then go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and enable XMP. And run CPU-Z to ensure they are working properly.

tyvm, ramguy.

I shall order the memory today, install the 3 DIMMs, and keep the 4th as a spare for his or my system depending on whose memory fails first.

I shall add CPU-Z to my WMD, MemTest, Prime, test suite.

Thanks for the help ...

Archived