Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 09:50 AM
TheStuck's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013569
TheStuck Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Computer Guy View Post
Also have all the following in combination and your system should be working smoothly.
1) Windows 10 version 19.03 (3 power plans to help depending on the behavior you desire)
2) Proper BIOS/UEFI (with at least AGESA 1.0.0.3AB)
3) Updated chipset driver
I am running latest chipset and 1903 windows. Running latest ASUS bios but that isnt AB. I wouldnt be surprised if ASUS goes to ABB instead of AB on the next update.

The new chipset was supposed to address software that had very aggressive system requests (~1ms). The new chipset seems to have fixed this for all the software I run with the fast service requests but iCUE. As soon as the iCUE is closed, the idle voltage goes <1. It is the only programs causing this. I do not know if iCUE has to have the fast system request or not as it relates to Corsair Services which is causing this issue. Note someone on Reddit said disabling enable full software control on the ram fixed it. It did not for me. I think this is a case where Ryzen 2 is the first CPU to be sensitive to fast service requests. I believe Ryzen 2 is reacting by design though.

Windows says default request time is 15.6 ms and will give warnings for anything faster than this. You can check by running command in admin mode and typing "powercfg /energy /duration 5" and then reading the energy report it generates.

Maybe the next BIOS update (ABB) will fix it but as of now the only software that I run that causes the idle voltage issue is iCUE and more specific the Corsair Service. Hopefully providing as much information as possible will speed up the fix.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:43 PM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013584
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

With the new chipset driver (and everything else up to date including a recent update for iCue) I get this when running that command "powercfg /energy /output "c:\temp\output.html" /duration 5"

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
Requested Period 10000
Requesting Process ID 14172
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\iCUE.exe

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name iCUE.exe
PID 14172
Average Utilization (%) 0.56
Module Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.20
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\Qt5Core.dll 0.07
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\iCUE.exe 0.07

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name Corsair.Service.exe
PID 4536
Average Utilization (%) 0.48
Module Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll 0.15
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.12
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\wow64cpu.dll 0.04

In addition steamwebhelper.exe and audiodg.exe also appear on the list for outstanding timer requests.

Interesting I didn't realize iCue and Corsair service was still 32-bit and iCue is using QT.

Does iCue run on Linux too?
Old 08-08-2019, 06:27 PM
CanuckBrian's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014124
CanuckBrian Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Computer Guy View Post
Does iCue run on Linux too?
Nope. I've tried.

I really really hope Corsair fixes this ****. I've finally gotten the rest of my new Ryzen 3900X system ironed out. This is the last thing that's causing an issue. Turning off the Corsair service doesn't help me. It's the actual program running in the system tray that causes issues with my CPU. I kill that and everything is fine. But then my headset and profiles don't work.

I'm starting to see why people are so frustrated with Corsair. Great products, **** utilities to manage them.

I've started hunting around for alternative brands, but at this point it's going to cost too much to switch away, so I either deal with the high voltages, CPU boosting unnecessarily, and high temps because of iCUE, or I spend a few hundred dollars to replace all my peripherals with a different brand that has better management software.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Mussels's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014419
Mussels Reputation: 10

i've complained about this with a 2700x as well, this is not exclusive to 3rd gen ryzen - its just been ignored for a while already
Old 08-13-2019, 12:10 AM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014502
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBrian View Post
Nope. I've tried.

I really really hope Corsair fixes this ****. I've finally gotten the rest of my new Ryzen 3900X system ironed out. This is the last thing that's causing an issue. Turning off the Corsair service doesn't help me. It's the actual program running in the system tray that causes issues with my CPU. I kill that and everything is fine. But then my headset and profiles don't work.

I'm starting to see why people are so frustrated with Corsair. Great products, **** utilities to manage them.

I've started hunting around for alternative brands, but at this point it's going to cost too much to switch away, so I either deal with the high voltages, CPU boosting unnecessarily, and high temps because of iCUE, or I spend a few hundred dollars to replace all my peripherals with a different brand that has better management software.
I saw in an earlier thread you have a custom water loop. What kind of temps are you getting?

After I updated to 1.0.0.3AB, Windows 19.03, and latest chipset drivers my temps went from typical 50c down to 38c on the high performance power plan and iCue only bothers maybe only 1/2 of my cores at any particular time. If I switch to balanced power plan my temps tend to drop to 36c periodically.

Someone mentioned a program you can use to pin iCue to particular cores however if you want to do it simply without getting any special software you can disable iCue on startup and create a simple shortcut to start iCue on particular threads. For example the shortcut below starts iCue on threads 14 & 15 of my 8c/16t CPU.

Quote:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "iCue" /affinity C000 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\iCUE.exe"
Doing this however may potentially limit iCue's responsiveness (probably should specify at least 2 threads) although honestly I don't bother with it anymore.

I wonder how much CPU overhead there is because it's going though Qt and 32-bit .NET though Wow64.
Maybe if Corsair can eliminate those layers and do native 64-bit Windows this would be a non-issue.

Last edited by A Computer Guy; 08-13-2019 at 12:16 AM.