Corsair Community

RM100x few questions and maybe possible issue

Zfast4y0u

Hello folks,

I will start with issue first. I bought one of your PSU's 9 months ago it was working without issue, and then after like 3 months of using ( 3 months of not even hard abuse at all, was 80% of time on desktop only idle'ing) it started producing some weird noice from inside, something like coil whine but im not sure if its really that. I recorded the video so take a look and bump up ur volume.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01jKCKRpVoE[/ame]

It goes off sometime and then comes back on and stays for most time, is this something i should be concerned about? I have some expencive hardware being powered by it and i dont wanna have second thoughts on it. I didnt had any other issue with it other then this buzzing noise.

Now when thats out of the way, I wanna ask, why does this damn fan dosent spin at all? The PSU itself is very hot even when PC is at idle and not doing anything ( almost to hot to hold ur hand on it from other side of housing (from fan) . I rarely see fan spinning, im sure its not defective, i just wonder why is it configured like it is? I understand lots of ppl want silent over anything else, but i care more about things being cooled down properly over noise levels. I ended up putting 2 fans to blow air on PSU fan and cool it down. It does good job and PSU aint even warm now ( was hot to touch before ) however i plan to do some modifications to PC and i will move PSU where I wont be able to install fans to bring cold air to it.

Is there ANY way to make this fan be powered ON constantly or mod its spin up profile? Even 500RPM would make me happy, thing is dead silent when spin..

I can't speak to the coil whine.

However, on the fan behavior ... that's by design. The fan will kick on when it's required. To override this behavior, you'd need to have one of the i-series PSUs with Link/iCue integration. That would allow you to control the fan speed manually.

Adding your system specs would also be helpful as then we'd then have an idea of what your total system load is and whether what you are describing is normal given the approximate load. Without that information, there's a lot of guessing and assumptions that are necessary. So do us and yourself a favor and fill out your system specs in detail.

I can't speak to the coil whine.

However, on the fan behavior ... that's by design. The fan will kick on when it's required. To override this behavior, you'd need to have one of the i-series PSUs with Link/iCue integration. That would allow you to control the fan speed manually.

Adding your system specs would also be helpful as then we'd then have an idea of what your total system load is and whether what you are describing is normal given the approximate load. Without that information, there's a lot of guessing and assumptions that are necessary. So do us and yourself a favor and fill out your system specs in detail.

Its beyond me why they simple dont have a switch behind PSU to flip and have fan ON constantly if there is no way to control it or have it turned on always. I guess fan kicks in when temperature inside reach some point, since fan spins only when i power pc on.

I have following configuration.

CPU: i7 8700k

Mobo: Asus maximus x hero

2x8GB corsair vengence 3200mhz ram

2x asus 1080ti oc

3x 120mm fans

6x 140mm fans

1x WD black 2tb

1x SSD samsung 850

1x Western Digital Caviar ( old hdd from old pc still kicking)

1x d5 revo dual pump

Btw i just noticed, i missed one zero in title, its RM1000x ofc.

Thanks for reporting the system configuration ... it really is suggested that you click "Edit System Specs" at the top and put them there. This makes your specs easily and readily available to anyone trying to assist you.

As for your system ... I'd not expect the fan to run at idle at all. The GTX 1080Ti will draw around 13W at idle and, at max, about 250W (and that would actually be quite rare as that's a "torture" measurement") ... that would put you at about 500W max load due to the GPUs. Realistically, when gaming, you'd be looking at a little over 200W each (400W total) for the GPUs. The processor and drives will consume - maybe - up to 150W.

The RM1000x fan won't kick in until 550W or so load. See http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=449 and https://www.anandtech.com/show/9625/the-corsair-rmx-and-rmi-1000w-power-supply-review ... so what you are seeing isn't an issue. And when the fan does kick on, it probably won't spin very fast and you'd not be likely to hear it (especially over whatever explosions are going with your gaming session). Adding fans to blow over the PSU and keep it cooler would simply extend the time for the fans to kick on as they don't get going until around 55C.

As for why ... it's for silence. Modern, high-end PSUs are so efficient that they don't generate a whole lot of heat - the heat is actually from power loss when converting the AC power from the wall to the DC power that the system uses. High efficiency means that less power is lost in the conversion, meaning less heat.

Corsair does have the i-series coolers that I mentioned previously that allow you to override this behavior and to control the fan yourself (like my HX1200i). Personally, I've done that but I really don't usually bother. It's just not necessary.

Now add on top of that 200 more Watts from the fans i have and pumps ( max they can consume by calculator i threw em in) . Yes its efficiency is all nice and sweet but dosent change the fact i discribed that even on idle PSU housing was hot, you can imagine inside temps of mosfets and capacitors, we all know the cooler electronics run, the longer it live, this fan not doing its purpose is what is annoying me about this PSU. I might as well one day snap, go tear PSU apart and rip off the fan from PSU at that point, at least wont obstruct airflow of the fan i mounted to do his damn job. -.- I went extra headroom with PSU so it dosent get hammered like in case of a weaker one and now i have to bare with this.

Btw from link you provided, I see its 1000w rated till 50c. The fan kicks in at around 55c how you said. How sweet is that. Imagine now your system consumption is there close to 1000w. :D

Since i mounted extra fans to cool inside of PSU down, PSU didnt turn fan not even once on me, and im not joking here. And its like this for 2 months now if not longer. Before i would see it ramping it up rarely, so i couldnt really figure it what triggers it, temperature or system load. Since in same conditions, for example in same game you cold say idk im doing same thing in it, one time it will spin up, other 5 times not. (longer sessions) I guess it has temp and wattage triggers just set too high cause of ''silence''. Meh..

It is exceedingly rare that fans, pumps and drives ever consume anything close to the rated amperage. The online calculators give you a worse-case/max estimate. Without having the monitoring of the i-series PSUs -or- a power meter measuring the draw from the wall, you can only guess.

My system - as spec'd in PCPartPicker - runs at 534W. It never draws that much power. Ever. And idle is around 150-160W with lighting going crazy.

Archived