Corsair Community

Memory-mobo compatibility doubt: Twin2X4096-8500C5DF on ASUS P5K-PRO

r0570

Hi, I am going to build up my new system and I need to know if the 4GB kit "Twin2X4096-8500C5DF" is compatible with my asus ASUS P5K-PRO motherboard.

That is because I've discovered that my motherboard does not work with modules wich are made of chips of 128Mb, so I need to know if your 2Gb module uses 16 chips x 128M to reach 2048M or not (and yes, I searched the site but I couldnt find this information on the datasheet of that memory kit).

ByE

PS: I've read that this kit is going to be out of stock very soon, is it still possible to find in italy or europe??

That is because I've discovered that my motherboard does not work with modules wich are made of chips of 128Mb, so I need to know if your 2Gb module uses 16 chips x 128M to reach 2048M or not (and yes, I searched the site but I couldnt find this information on the datasheet of that memory kit).

Actually, the 128Mb restriction (defined as total density per IC chip) applies chiefly to older memory modules (as I have told some other posters about this issue). The non-support of 128Mb IC chips is just a roundabout way of saying that this motherboard (and other newer motherboards) require a total density per IC chip of at least 256Mb in order to work. This means that double-sided 256MB memory modules (which are extremely rare in the present-day DDR2/DDR3 era, but were very common in the DDR266/PC2100 days) will not work on these newer motherboards since their density per IC is 128Mb or less. (Note that 1MB equals 8Mb.) In addition, the smallest officially supported total memory size of the P35 chipset's MCH is 512MB - which means that you'd need to put in at least 512MB of memory in order for your motherboard to even work at all.

If on the other hand a motherboard maker didn't support 128Mb in bit width for IC chips, that would have restricted the maximum module size to 1GB per stick, as all 2GB modules require the use of IC chips with 128Mb bit depth.

Also, while it's true that a 2GB stick of memory contains 16 IC chips, it is also double-sided (actually, double-bank). JEDEC memory standards set a maximum of 9 IC chips per bank (for ECC memory) or 8 IC chips per bank (for non-ECC memory) for memory support. Thus, these 2GB modules contain 8 IC chips per bank.

Finally, the "16" restriction actually applies to x16 IC chips: The P35's MCH - and all other modern memory controllers - restrict support for memory modules which use x16 IC chips to single-sided (single-bank) sticks. (An example of a memory module which uses x16 IC chips are some brands of 512MB DDR2 value memory modules, which are single-sided and have only four IC chips on each of the modules.)

• Corsair Employee
128M By 8 = 1024 Mega Byte so a 2 Gig module would be double rank or 128M By 8 = 1024 X 2 = 2048 Meg. 256 Meg IC's have stated to show up so I suspect as memory demands go up and older MB's fall off the requests that will not support higher density configurations you will start to see a single sided 2 Gig module. Maybe by next year who know's what will happen for sure. But the cost of the IC will be the biggest factor.

I've another question to ask, maybe it is a little bit off topic in here, but this way I'm going to save a new useless thread.. ;):

The system that I'm going to build is base on a cooler master rc690 chassis and a p5k pro mobo, so there is another issue worrying me: I want to put in a HX620 as power source but cause of the positioning on the bottom of the case and the particular layout of the p5k-pro I need to know if the length of the power cord is sufficient to reach the motherboard atx connectors.

here are some pics of the mobo layout and case internals:

p5k-pro:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5920/20080112113415bigphotoor8.jpg

rc-690 front:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9074/cm690001qn2gk8cs1.jpg

rc-690 back:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3998/cm690011vw4vr6sl9.jpg

That system is not mine, but I would like to place the cables the same way.

ByE

p5k-pro uses a 24pin and a 4pin connector, i don't think that a 8pin extension could help me, unless it can be divided into two 4 pin ;):

Here in Italy those kind of extension are also hard to find, just a few shops sale them.:mad:

So my question is to be considered just about the stock cables that come with the psu.

ByE

The OP has a case designed to place the PSU at the bottom of the case. And with typical left-side-openable cases, the stock cords might be too short to reach all of the conectors on the motherboard and/or drives. The average ATX PSU is designed with mounting at the top of the case in mind.

What is the part number of our PSU you are looking at?

If you mean something like a serial number, I have not yet bought the psu.

The correct model number is: CMPSU-620HX

http://golfnut.smugmug.com/photos/182603116-O.jpg

Are you saying that there is no problem for that kind of setup??? (I hope so :D:)

ByE

It looks pretty good. Can't guarantee but it looks good. You will have to install the 4-pin before bolting the board in I would think.

I think that the 4 pin is the easier to solve, the problem is that if I want to keep all the cables on the back I need a very long 24pin cable.

Have you seen the p5k-pro layout pic I've posted... Asus placed the 24pin almost at the back side (the side with I/O ports) of the mobo.

ByE

PS: now I've fixed the pics links, they can be seen in full resolution now ;):

PS: now I've fixed the pics links, they can be seen in full resolution now ;):

That's a bit better. Couldn't see anything before. That's a lousy board layout. It almost looks as though some ASRock Board Design Engineers thought that one up.

I can't say. I would never buy a board that was created with that layout. It's tres ugggg. I doubt you can hide the power cord. Likely have to run it above the graphics area.

I wonder what the PRO stands for. "Positively Rotten Outlay"?

That's a bit better. Couldn't see anything before. That's a lousy board layout. It almost looks as though some ASRock Board Design Engineers thought that one up.

I can't say. I would never buy a board that was created with that layout. It's tres ugggg. I doubt you can hide the power cord. Likely have to run it above the graphics area.

Yes, that is true but it is a very good overclocking motherboard: it does not cost too much and it has 8-phase alimentation, less vdrop than a p5k premium and in all the forum I've read I've found very few bad comment about it ;):

I wonder what the PRO stands for. "Positively Rotten Outlay"?

It could be true, LOL

Ya think? Show me yours when you are setup. :D:

That is what they say on many forums, I don't know if it's true but I'll check personally when my system will be ready ;): :D:

PS: nice results :eek::eek:, have you done the vdrop mod on your p5k or is it @default??

That is what they say on many forums, I don't know if it's true but I'll check personally when my system will be ready ;): :D:

PS: nice results :eek::eek:, have you done the vdrop mod on your p5k or is it @default??

Your language is very well spoken. I have not needed to do a Vdroop mod as the board has a setting in the bios called "LoadLine Calibration" which tightens Vdroop.

Archived