Corsair Community

Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro and ABIT KV8 MAX3

Grayarea

Hi I have bought a ABIT KV8 MAX and Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro with a AMD64 3000. I use the default setting (except I have used 2000 (200) CPU speed) and am having some stability issues, mainly dump to desktop in games. I have used the SUSE memory check software and i shows up errors in block move test, it never shows up any other category of problem. I have the memory using SPD info and standard voltages etc, except for the default over cloiking the board forces on you (2040 when you ask for 2000) i am not overclocking, I am using the 1.18 BIOS. I see this type of memory has been used is various reviews and they all say the excellent stability of this MB. So I am a little worried that something is not right. Any suggestions and ideas very welcome. Thanks in advance. Grayarea.

• Corsair Employee
Do you have 2 modules or just one? If you have 2 modules please use slots 1-3 and the set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 for 2 single modules and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you have just one or if you have Twinx, Please try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings to: DRAM Clock: 200 MHz DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2 Command Rate: 1T Also with that CPU you will need the latest bios as well, please make sure that you have the latest version installed.

Thanks for the speedy reply Ramguy :) All tests carried out with Memtest-86 v3.0, I am running BIOS 1.18 which is the latest on the ABIT site. With standard SPD setting at 2000(200) which results in 2043 mhz 310 errors in #5 block move 64 moves cached With settings you suggested 424 errors in #5 block move 64 moves cached All of the errors are reported in the first 1mb of ram. I then tried the timings as SPD but with a 333 DRAM clock, and it passes every time, no matter how long I leave it. After running my system with 333 DRAM clock, it is very stable. The only other issue I had was with GPU lockup. While the case temp was 30-35 the GPU would lock up regularly, so I took out the slot cover directly below the Radeon 9500pro, this seems to keep it cooler and now run stable. I understood that this type of ram was tested and passed at DDR500. So why is it failing at 408 DDR using CAS 2.5 and worse at the specified timings?

• Corsair Employee
XMS3200 is rated at DDR400 at Cass 2-3-3-6 with one module, only Twinx would be rated with 2 modules at the above settings. I would suggest that you test the modules on another MB at the tested settings one module at a time.

Hi Ram Guy, Have you guys tested this module with the ABIT KV8 MAX3? I don't know anyone with a DDR400 capable machine, so cannot test the module in another MB. Would you expect the type of errors I am seeing with the mild (default clock) overclocking that is happening thanks to the ABIT BIOS? Any other ideas? Thanks, Grayarea

Archived