Corsair Community

Dell Dimension 2400 XMS running at 266MHz

VadersHeir

:evil: Stupid Dell I noticed in another thread about Dell that RAMGUY suggested resetting the BIOS to see if it would adjust the memory speed to reflect what the Corsair can actually do ... what exactly is involved with "resetting" the BIOS. Just go into BIOS and load defaults? jumper on mainboard somewhere? Thanks for any assistance. Dan Snooks

• Corsair Employee
Actually, XMS2400 is a PC-2100 module that we have tested up to 2400 Speed. The Dell bios will see and or set the memory Freq according to the SPD, which is set to PC2100 spec. So you would not see the benefit of these modules with this MB no matter what you do! However, resetting the bios can be done by removing the power to the system and removing the C-Mos battery for about 10 Min.

Heh ... what I meant to say was The system is a Dell Dimension 2400 The stick is a CMX512-2700C2 so, the RAM is 333, but the Dell is running it at 266 Thanks for the info on resetting the BIOS, I will try that next. I don't suppose updating the BIOS would help? There is a newer version available. Thanks RAM GUY

• Corsair Employee
Dan XMS2700C2 and XMS2400 were both developed before the release of an official spec for DDR333 AKA PC2700 for JEDEC. Thus we used the JEDEC defined values for PC-2100 and tested the modules to the Spec that is published! (Follow the link in my signature to see that spec.)

OH :bigeyes: Well, that I do understand ... so, given that there is MINIMAL chance that this POS Dell is going to behave with this module, what module should I use? The Valueselect 2700 (VS512MB333) ? Thanks for your patience and assistance RAM GUY

• Corsair Employee
If you are getting them now XMS2700C2 would be no problem, as we use the JEDEC spec for PC-32700 on the modules we made after About November of 2002 as I remember. Or I would consider Value select VS512MB333 or a Module like what’s suggested by the MB maker like CM64SD512-2700.

Ah, good ... That's what I was hoping to see, I bought the module last week ... so it will have the proper SPD, which means I will tinker for a bit before exchanging (I don't let things slide without putting up some fuss first) Thanks again for the timely responses RAM GUY

Archived