Corsair Community

AX750 EPS12V Cable Issue

nevets1219

EDIT: Just checked...the PSU is DOA

EDIT: I just tried plugging in the 4+4 side of the 8-pin and they fit, the 8-pin side also fits into the PSU. Is this a valid setup?

I recently purchased parts to build a new computer, one of which includes AX750 and ASUS P6X58D Premium. The installation was going fine until I needed to connect the 8-pin EPS12V CPU cable. Looking in the manual, I should have received 2 such cable and indeed I do have 2 cables for it. However, one of the cable I believe is "bad" (8-pin) and the other one cannot be used on my motherboard (8+4 pin; the 4 pin aren't connected).

The one that cannot be used on my computer is because a capacitor(?) gets in the way of the four "empty" pin.

Regarding the "bad" cable, I've tried to insert it in the first time without really looking at the cable and noticed that it wouldn't go in. Looking carefully it seems that the pin arrangement doesn't match with the motherboard. I'm not really familiar with the terminology but here's what the pin looks like:

EDIT: I tried taking a picture but my cell phone's camera isn't good enough so I won't include it unless you think will help.

EDIT: I found a link on Corsair's product page. That's what the 8 pins look like on my 8+4 but the 8-pins do not look like that.

== 8-pin ==

(clip)

[H][H][

[H][H][H]

== 8+4 pin ==

(clip)

[H][[H][E][E]

[H][H][E][E]

Where [H] = a house-shaped slot, [E] = empty, and = a square slot.

Aside from the empty slots, the 8 slots on the 8+4 does actually match what's on my motherboard.

So did I get a "bad" cable or is there some particular installation method I need to follow?

Also, the Corsair PSU manual, states that if the motherboard has a 4-pin, I can detach 4-pin from the 8-pin but none of the 8-pin looks like I can detach 4-pins from it without breaking it.

Archived