Corsair Community

Corsair QuadX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC2-8500

DaveRR4

Hi i recently purchased an Asus Maximus Formula motherboard with 4x Corsair QuadX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC2-8500.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=632575

With all 4 memory modules installed my system keeps locking up when trying to extract large files (2gb). I thought initally that i may have some dodgy memory. So i ran memchecker86 for 12 hours with the 4 modules installed. After 12 hours of scanning it found 0 errors.

Then i took out all 4 modules and tested each module individually. All worked fine when tested.

I then proceeded to test with 2 modules installed, then 3 modules installed. All tests were successful untill i added all 4 modules.

So i then tried manually setting the speed from auto to 1066, then 800 etc... changing the speed had the same effect. Lockups occur when trying to extract large files only with 4 modules present. 3 work fine (any 3 modules).

I then phoned the technical support were i purchased the memory (scan.co.uk) who referred me here. The advisor said he had heard of similar problems with 4 modules installed and i may have to manually configure the voltage in the bios for the memory. Can anyone help ?

Has anyone heard of this problem or know of a solution

thanks in advance

Dave

• Corsair Employee
Yes you can get the tested settings and voltage from the link in my signature but they should be set to 2.2 Volts at Cas 5-5-5-15 at 2t Command Rate and the NB/MCH Voltage should be set to +.05 Volts as well.

Hi

thanks for the help Ramguy

I've set the voltage to 2.2 and Cas 5-5-5-15 at 2t Command Rate

"NB/MCH Voltage should be set to +.05 Volts" - mine is set to 'Auto' so i'm not sure exactly what to set this at. Can you give me a clue

thanks

Hi RamGuy

As previous posted my Bios setting is set to 'AUTO' and no asterisk is highlighting what the default setting should be. Can you help any further ?

This Ram is becoming a nightmare, i wish i read more into it before buying

:[pouts:

The default = AUTO

there is no .05+ above the default setting of AUTO

Looking through the manual, the normal running voltage of the North Bridge Voltage is anything from 1.25v-1.49

when i get home from work i will start at 1.25 and then increase by .05 intervals untill i get to the maximum recommended setting of 1.49

again

thanks for the help, i really apreciate it

Hi

I went through all the different NB voltage settings in the bios from 1.24v -1.49v, but still the same problems remains.

I then tried setting the memory speed to 667 as you recommended, the problem still occurred when trying to extract a zip larger than 2gb, system locked up and had to be hard powered off.

I've raised an incident now with asus technical support. Fingers crossed

• Corsair Employee
NB voltage settings in the bios from 1.24v -1.49v,

Just try the first setting above 1.24 Volts.

I then tried setting the memory speed to 667 as you recommended, the problem still occurred when trying to extract a zip larger than 2gb, system locked up and had to be hard powered off.

Did you test the system with http://www.memtest.org?

• Corsair Employee

You are not getting errors in memtest so what exactly is happening?

You first post you stated:

With all 4 memory modules installed my system keeps locking up when trying to extract large files (2gb). I thought initally that i may have some dodgy memory. So i ran memchecker86 for 12 hours with the 4 modules installed. After 12 hours of scanning it found 0 errors.

Is that the only problem? and if so can you give more details about your system configuration? Specificly the HDD configuration and how they are formatted what file system and what O.S. and what application are you using?

Are you getting any BSOD errors and if did you check the error code at http://www.microsoft.com/technet?

When i extract a zip or any compressed file larger than 2gb, my system crashes/freezes and has to be hard powered off (with the power button)

there are no errors, no blue screen errors or anything.

I'm using a SATA 320gb hard disk, using Mac OSX 10.5.1, GUID partitoning and formatted to HFS.

there are no error codes as the system just locks up.

It works totally flawless with any 3 modules installed (in any combination of DIMM slot)

• Corsair Employee
That is a file allocation limitation with that O.S. or a driver problem with the O.S. when you run 4 Gig of memory, IE: you are using a MAC TO EXTRACT a file that was compressed on a X86 is that correct? I would suggest contact Apple as this is not a memory problem. And or try and Windows O.S. with 2 or 4 Gig.

i am 99% sure this has nothing at all to do with my operating system. to verify i will install vista and xp and post back with my results :mad:

p.s, this is running an x86 system (Mac OS X installed on x86 hardware). I've read reports of other users having no problems with 4gb or 8gb 8500 ram in the Asus maximus Formula running os x. There's a few users on insanelymac.com but they arent using corshair.

I installed Vista Home Premium (which came with the computer) its only the 32 bit version. 3.2gb of RAM is detected by windows with all 4 modules installed. However i have managed to successfully extract a large zip file without any lockups. So this leave me baffled, fine in windows but not os x.

I wonder if its success is due to all of the memory not being detected by windows.

• 1 month later...

Archived