Corsair Community

Asus Striker Extreme & Corsair 6400C4 PRO (4GB)

Domenick

Hi everyone, I am in some serious need for some help!

I have a Asus striker extreme and have always had issues with my corsair memory on it. The board came with bios version 701 initially and I had many ram issues, it wouldnt even boot with the ram in a 2gb configuration, nor with any of the AUTO settings. I borrowed my friends 1.8v DDR2 667Mhz ram to boot the board (which really stinks when you pay $1000AUD for ram) and had to set the voltage to 2.1 apparently and set sli. This never worked. Everytime the boot fails I need a 1.8v stick, why should I have to buy an extra stick of ram to boot my bois when things fail I ask???

I then read on some forum to put the ram at 2.2v or 2.3v and that seemed to work for 2gb. After many trials with 4gb configs, I upgraded the bios to the official 803 (now it got taken down) and it seemed to work for 4gb the first time I booted with all the timings entered and setting volts to 2.3v even though it is rated at 2.1v. This memory absolutely stinks with the board, corsair claims it is compatible, I highly disagree! I have had so many issues I am really getting fed up. I finally set the ram to 667Mhz which I had working all afternoon, several boots, I then turned on my computer this morning without changing settings or even going into bios and I cant even post!

Can someone from Corsair PLEASE post the OFFICIAL settings I can run the 6400C4 PRO ram on the striker extreme board because nothing I try works. The ram came up faster at 667 than 800mhz in 4gb config within vista 64 experience rating, weird huh also this was set to not use sli feature!

All I want is a system that works at 4gb with vista 64bit as I do print resolution 3D rendering work which needs lots of memory. Nothing works now so I need to borrow my friends memory to get back into bios.

BTW I have also tried putting the single stick in the far most slot to boot to no avail. This memory is very temperamental.

Thanks for your time guys!

-Domenick

Hi, no chance to try the ratio sorry, I did get 667 working that afternoon but I doubt anything higher will work if 667 didnt :( I have noticed no one else are able to get the 6400C4PRO in 4GB to work.

RAMguy what is the voltage for these things please? I can never get it to boot using the recommended voltages of 2.1v always requires 2.3v on the striker.

I sent my motherboard and ram back to the distributor to get working for me but I fear that from what I have read its an impossible combination. I had 2GB working with manual timings but I really need 4GB to work. 2.3v does get pretty hot though! I just want 4GB running at 800Mhz as stated in their specifications.

My final question would be: Has anyone over at Corsair ever actually got 4GB of the 6400C4 PRO's to work in the Striker Extreme? The performance sheet says it's compatible in all 4 slots! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

You can follow the link in my signature for the tested settings, but with 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at 667 MHz with any MB. And the max Memory voltage would be 2.1 Volts for these modules. If you have to put more than 2.1 Volts to post the system then there is some other issue.

I would suggest loading setup defaults and set the tested settings manually at 1.9 Volts and then test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org with Legacy USB disabled.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is how it all went down: Went to seller of my corsair ram, they said it's Asus' fault. Went to Asus reseller they said it's Corsair's fault.

Hmm this puts me 'the consumer' in a good place.

So I look on the Corsair site, hmm it says the 6400C4 PRO is compatible. So I go to my Corsair seller. They tell me it won't work and rang Corsair which told them "We never claim 4GB will work on this board even though we say this memory is compatible in this board". I argued it never says they can't run in a 4GB config, to which I got the response "your only option is to sell them on ebay or pay a 15% restocking fee if you return these". On the Asus QVL list it claims 6400c4 runs in a 4GB config, to this day you can still go and see that!

Long story short, Corsair stiffed me so I am stuck with 2-3 months of a $6500 machine not working and $150 further out of pocket for restocking of "non faulty goods".

This experience burned me, therefore due to the fact Corsair is unwilling to offer suggestions or even help OR compensate I will never buy their products again.

...Oh and Ramguy, there may have been issues with the DIMMS cause I had it set to 667 and also set it to 2.1v they don't even boot. 2.3v is the least voltage that it will boot on this board using 901 bios even my experienced distributor tried the board and ram and couldn't get it working. RMA'd the board there was nothing wrong with it.

You need to increase vFSB/VTT (Resistance of circuits on the motherboard) and vNB to get 4 gigs working. This is a limitation of the 680i motherboard.

VNB = 1.35

VTT/vFSB = 1.45

Everything will work fine then...

• 3 weeks later...

Did you actualy get it working with 800mhz and 4 sticks ?

If so could you please post your settings and voltages here, I'm having a hard time getting them working, and also post what BIOS you used.

This would mean alot to me as I always fail memtest with 4GB's.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried every combination of suggestions I found here and still can't get 4gb of memory to work with the Asus Striker Extreme (BIOS 1004). I can swap bank 1 pair with bank two and everything works fine. So I know all four sticks of memory work. I just can't seem to get them all to work at the same time. I never had so much trouble with a supported memory before. Otherwise the motherboad seems to work great. Lot of people have been saying lots of bad stuff about the striker extreme, I have been very happy. Seems Asus needs to work on the BIOS and the drivers. Does anybody have 4gb of CM2X1024-6400C4 working? Please post what you did to get it working. so far I have tried:

SLI Ready=Disabled

Link Boost=Disabled

Nvidia GPUEx=Disabled

SLI Broadcast Aperture=Disabled

FSB&Memory

FSB Memory=Linked

FSB Memory=3:2

FSB QDR=1066 Actual

Memory Actual=711 ( I also tried 667 & 800)

TCL=4

TRCD=4

TRP=4

TRP=4

TRAS=12

Command=2T

TRC=24 & Auto

TRFC=42 & Auto

All the rest=Auto

Memory=2.0v

I slowly raisewd the NB voltage up to 1.45

Still no go. With 4 gb the board will not even POST. Take 2gb out and everything runs like a champ on 2 gb. Any help will be great! Has anybody tried to clear the CMOS, only thing I didn't try- I just don't think it would help

• Corsair Employee

We have tested this MB with 4 Gig and did not have any problems with these modules and this MB, we used 4x XM2S-6400C4 modules at these settings for Striker Extreme, P5N-E, P5N32-E:

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

• 2 weeks later...

Also having the same issues.

tried all the suggested work arounds and nothing works with 4 dims installed. also my box fails run any of the mem at 800mhz... always defaults to 400mhz and CPUz even says the memory timings are out from the retail claims. So I don't know. I think it's board thats the problem. Tried some OCZ performance stuff too got the same issue.

Help?

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have the striker, running the latest bios version atm. The Memtest on Ubuntu 7.04 says that my memory (4GB Corsair 6400C4) is running at 1.85V.

Is this being read wrong? or should I turn off the pc and change the voltage?

It has been running the test for nearly 4 hours now and seems to be going fine, I havent even installed an OS yet as I wanted to make sure everything was working first.

I really cant afford to mess up my ram, so I really need to know what I should be doing!

only had the pc about 2 days..

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running 4GB of the stuff now, its running on 32Bit XP so obv. its not gonna see the full 4GB.

Firstly, do you reckon I should take one of the (4X1024) chips out as it's not recognising one of them anyway?

Secondly, I dont know if you can see in the attactched file, Im not even sure if u can see the votages are there but the memory is running at 2.000v on manual (auto sets it to 1.85v), and the NB is set to 1.4v

The system jumps a bit and music playback isn't smooth when I'm doing any form of multi tasking, like opening a file or using the search feature ( the most demanding thing I could think of for a new OS with nout installed yet).

Does this mean its set too low? I have a 12cm fan blowing on the ram directly so I dont think I'll have any problems with it overheating lol :D:

also are there any other changes I should make? I'm eventually wanting to OC the whole system cos I'm running a 85W processor thats running at sub 30 degrees, which is supposed to go from 2.4 to 3.5Ghz and stay fine below 40. but I dont know enough about RAM OC'ing to do anything much.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2042408365_Memorydata.JPG.26c9a76715d2f12e82fcfd6453262ead.JPG

beacause of the 12cm fan, the Temp probe I have taking the degrees c of the ram inbetween the heatsinks, is saying the ambient temperature around the ram's heatsinks is approx 34oC. (this is just after memtest 1.7 was running for 10 mins with setting the voltage to 2.1)

this is sheilded from the direct effects of the fan by the heatsink, its plasticoated so it shouldnt affect the stability of the system.

what sort of temp would you expect?

• Corsair Employee
NP and check for the latest driver for the Wireless adapter that will solve most if not all of the issues. I have a ASUS MB with on Board Wireless LAN and it works fine except when I shut down the driver hangs even with the latest Driver.

Yeah it works alot better now, got a .dll debugging prog as well that helped too.

its a little jumpy and the data comes in streems, so one sec u get loads of info from the router, second you get nothing.

anyway, what I really wanted to know was wether I should have all 4 dimms in even tho xp cant see all 4. seing as I want to OC and only have a 540W psu ( the corsair one) I'm not sure if the extra watts saved will be useful or not.

Thanks for the help btw

• Corsair Employee
If you want to over clock 2 modules would be better than four irregardless of the O.S. And if you have our HX520W PSU I would not worry and I would put it up against almost any other makers 600Watt PSU with out worry.

Archived