Corsair Community

RTX 3080 Power Requirement: how much is actually needed?

rio_

The upcoming RTX 3080 FE has a TDP of 320W, and NVIDIA recommends a 750W PSU, based on a system with an Intel i9-10900K. NVIDIA also states that "a lower power rating may work depending on system configuration". I'm interested in this GPU, but my PSU is an RM 650x (650W).

I've tried multiple PSU calculators online, and they all estimate my current max system load to be about 410W. I have a stock i9-9900K (which notably has a lower TDP than the i9-10900K), GTX 1070, 64 GB RAM (4x16GB), Micro ATX motherboard, 3 SSDs, a Corsair H115i CPU cooler, and 2 additional RGB case fans. The RTX 3080 has a 170W higher TDP than my current GPU, which would put my max load at about 580W. I do not plan on overclocking anything in my system.

How accurate are PSU calculators? Is it safe to say my RM 650x is enough to upgrade to an RTX 3080? Beyond this, would I be able to tell by testing how much power my system actually draws from the wall under load?

Edited by rio_

TDP for a video card card can often rise above reference values. Metro 2033 was reputed to push machines to over 110% of TDP. Some games since have reached 112%.

I use a 1000W PSU but even so I am worried about the power consumption all the time.

Based on some discussions I found on the LinusTechTips forums (such as this post), it sounds like 650W (especially a high-quality unit like the RMx series) will probably be enough, but I'll keep an eye on the reviews that come out ahead of the launch to see how accurate NVIDIA's spec is.

PSU calcs usually don't work anymore if you have a lot of RGB in your system and start to OC.

You should generally not go spot on with PSU on your theoretical power requirement. highest efficency is usually around 60% load and you'll want some buffer for spikes and potential upgrades in the future. Also noise will be lower when the PSU fan isn't running full throttle cause it's maxed out.

tbh as of now, I'm not going with anything below 850W on my computers with above average hardware.