Corsair Community

Overclocking TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

What cooler are you using for your CPU?

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to a CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from-->

Download Core Temp from -->

Post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Post a screenshot of Coretemp.

I'm using Arctic Silver and stock HSF. Core Temp showed the wrong frequency in this screenshot, but the next time I opened it, it showed the correct frequency. I compared them side by side and everything else is the same.

EDIT: Did you want me to run Memtest? If so, should I do one stick at a time or both at the same time?

corsair.thumb.jpg.12abcee531ae6e332be503f26fc526f0.jpg

I'm using Arctic Silver and stock HSF. Core Temp showed the wrong frequency in this screenshot, but the next time I opened it, it showed the correct frequency. I compared them side by side and everything else is the same.

EDIT: Did you want me to run Memtest? If so, should I do one stick at a time or both at the same time?

You can run Memtest two up and if they pass, there is no need to run them singly. Your temps are already pretty warm to be overclocking. At ide and with speedstep dropping your multiplier to 6x for 1600Mhz you are at 37-44C on the cores.

You need a decent aftermarket cooler to do any real overclocking. You have a GREAT VID! This means that you can very likely get a good overclock out of your system but you NEED a good cooler.

Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120 and two fans have brought my Q6600 with a 1.20 VID to 3.6Ghz. with less than your temps on idle.

Memtest passed both tests. I didn't realize that Core Temp only read the frequency that you CPU is currently utilizing rather than it's maximum.

I was looking on Newegg and the Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120 appears to be out of stock at the moment. Any suggestions on where to buy one? Also, it doesn't come with a fan. What should I do about that? Should I pop my stock fan off (if possible) and stick it on it or buy a new fan? Did you use the thermal grease that came with the cooler or something else?

Also, what about RAM overclocking? Am I going to need RAM fans? If not, can you suggest the settings for me to change for better performance?

Memtest passed both tests. I didn't realize that Core Temp only read the frequency that you CPU is currently utilizing rather than it's maximum.

There is no such thing as a static single default value for core voltages on the modern processors, bar none! They run on a Multiple VID (Voltage IDentification) platform.

Intel and AMD Processors for some time now have carried a technological enhancement called "Multiple VID". Multiple VID (Voltage IDentification)is a Code Set Instruction for raising and lowering Processor Core Voltages [utilizing a 6-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for Intel and a 5-bit DAC for AMD] housed in the CPU. This DAC uses a VID-code provided by the CPU to program the desired CPU core voltage. Thus the regulated output voltage can be dynamically adjusted by changing the VID-code "on the fly" and giving a "boost' to the core voltage when needed or dropping it when not needed. This helps to keep the processor cooler as lower voltages usually equal lower processor operating temperatures.

I was looking on Newegg and the Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120 appears to be out of stock at the moment. Any suggestions on where to buy one? Also, it doesn't come with a fan. What should I do about that? Should I pop my stock fan off (if possible) and stick it on it or buy a new fan? Did you use the thermal grease that came with the cooler or something else?

Also, what about RAM overclocking? Am I going to need RAM fans? If not, can you suggest the settings for me to change for better performance?

I would wait for this cooler to come into stock. You have a quad core and for higher end overclocking, need a very good cooler. For a dual core, there are many coolers I would advise, but other than water cooling for a 65nm quad core, the thermalright ultra xtreme 120 with two fans is almost as good as water and there are no other coolers (that I know of) that will give this experience.

I use either Arctic Silver or Arctic Silver MX2 as thermal applications. Regarding the DRAM, I would wait and see what you can get out of these modules before deciding whether to upgrade the DRAM. It's up to you though but you never know what these might be capable of since Corsair DRAM has GREAT headroom.

I'll probably be getting that cooler as soon as it's in stock at Newegg as long as I have enough money.

I'm not looking to upgrade the RAM, I just want to overclock it to the maximum possible while still keeping my warranty. Can you tell me what the settings are for this?

I'll probably be getting that cooler as soon as it's in stock at Newegg as long as I have enough money.

I'm not looking to upgrade the RAM, I just want to overclock it to the maximum possible while still keeping my warranty. Can you tell me what the settings are for this?

You have a maximum DRAM voltage of 2.1v at 4-4-4-12 with 2 X 2048 modules. It is a different event entirely with 4 DRAM slots being populated so do not interlace the two in your thoughts.

With 2 X 2048 of 6400C4 this usually means that you can possibly make ~1000Mhz with 5-5-5-12 with the same voltage and Core2 loves bandwidth, so that is where I would try for when you get a cooler on that CPU. You can test now though.

Set your FSB to 333 and your multiplier to 7. Set your DRAM to 1000Mhz and timings to 5-5-5-15 2T with 2.1v.

Memtest. If you memtest stable, then your DRAM is good for 1000Mhz with 5-5-5-15. Then try 5-5-5-12 2T.

Alright, I'm new to this, and I'm having some problems. First, when I try to set the command rate, there is no 1T or 2T, but rather 1N and 2N. I assume they are the same... are they? Second, when I set my FSB to 333MHz, I can't seem to find the multiplier anywhere, so I can't set the correct frequency. I also cannot find the voltage.

Alright, I'm new to this, and I'm having some problems. First, when I try to set the command rate, there is no 1T or 2T, but rather 1N and 2N. I assume they are the same... are they? Second, when I set my FSB to 333MHz, I can't seem to find the multiplier anywhere, so I can't set the correct frequency. I also cannot find the voltage.

1/2 (T)/(N) = Same thing.

If you can't find the multiplier or voltages, then you need to look around better. They are there.

• 4 weeks later...

That CPU cooler still hasn't come into stock and it's been almost a month. I went to Tech Support Guy and got the suggestion to buy the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro from the person who helped me choose all the parts for my computer. Two people suggested a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, one suggested a ZALMAN CNPS9700 and a XIGMATEK HDT-S963. Another person also suggested I buy the one that you suggested from here, but I've never heard of Sidewinder Computers and it costs more than Newegg.

I'm probably just going to either go with the one you suggested or the one the person who helped me build my computer chose, but I'd like to get your thumbs up before I buy anything. If you think the one that you suggested is still a better cooler, can you please suggest a different place to buy it from if you know of one?

That CPU cooler still hasn't come into stock and it's been almost a month. I went to Tech Support Guy and got the suggestion to buy the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro from the person who helped me choose all the parts for my computer. Two people suggested a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, one suggested a ZALMAN CNPS9700 and a XIGMATEK HDT-S963. Another person also suggested I buy the one that you suggested from here, but I've never heard of Sidewinder Computers and it costs more than Newegg.

I'm probably just going to either go with the one you suggested or the one the person who helped me build my computer chose, but I'd like to get your thumbs up before I buy anything. If you think the one that you suggested is still a better cooler, can you please suggest a different place to buy it from if you know of one?

It depends on the overclocking you intend to do. The Arctic Freezer is a mid line cooler at best and will not be the one to use if you want a high end overclock. Remember two things. The Q6600's are hot beasties and your VID shows a very good one but one that runs hot. The ones that run hot need less voltage and reach better overclocks, so if I was in your position, with that CPU I would go with a Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120 and two fans.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/23531/ULTRA-120-EXTREME/THERMALRIGHT/

http://www.ncixus.com/products/26029/FWC-120-U120/THERMALRIGHT/

http://www.ncixus.com/products/16340/TRICOOL120MMBLUELED/ANTEC/

With this setup, I think you can reach 3.4 - 3.6Ghz.

Alright, I'm a couple dollars short, but I'll get it eventually. NCIXUS is a trustworthy company, meaning if the product arrives DOA I'll be able to send it back like I can with Newegg, right?

They are a good company. However, I am not going to say they are perfect. I have never had any issues with returns but I live very close to an outlet so I have never shipped. I have returned with no issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just short, but I don't think I'm going to buy it from NCIXUS when I do get enough. They want to charge me $30 for shipping, which is completely outrageous... I could probably get it for less than $10 from Newegg.

On Newegg, it currently says deactivated for the Ultra-120 eXtreme. I don't know if this means they aren't selling it anymore or if they're just out of stock.

I wish I could just buy it directly from Thermalright...

Archived