Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

I believe the 980's have a temp reading on the VRM's on GPU-Z. On the Titan or 980 Ti though you will have to perform your own readings. Most people use an infrared thermometer, some use a thermal camera. Most will point it at the rear of the card, in the VRM area, and then try to extrapolate what the temp would be as you can not see the actual modules with 99% of cooling solutions. You could even attach a thermocouple to one of the modules whilst it has been stripped down and achieve a surface reading if you're really serious. Edited by Makalaure

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on my HG10 n980 running on a 80i GT on a MSI GTX 980ti V1. My temps are good! I did not have time to break it in yet so take these as a grain of salt. I am only listing highest temperatures. Idle:39°C Gaming (MGSV): 64°C. It hasn't gone any higher than that. Its the same in Mad Max. After I have had time to break it in, I believe these will be final temps: 32°C- IDLE Gaming: 54°C. This is just my guess. The real question is should I get a backplate for this? Edited by UsableGamer07

Update on my HG10 n980 running on a 80i GT on a MSI GTX 980ti V1. My temps are good! I did not have time to break it in yet so take these as a grain of salt. I am only listing highest temperatures. Idle:39°C Gaming (MGSV): 64°C. It hasn't gone any higher than that. Its the same in Mad Max. After I have had time to break it in, I believe these will be final temps: 32°C- IDLE Gaming: 54°C. This is just my guess. The real question is should I get a backplate for this?

Are you sure they will go down by 10 degrees after break-in?

Are you sure they will go down by 10 degrees after break-in?

It's just a guess. My room stays pretty hot and I recorded out of box temps. When the board heats up and settles it will have more contact with the hydro cooler and offer better temps. Forgot to mention, I am playing all my games at upscaled 4k

Update on my HG10 n980 running on a 80i GT on a MSI GTX 980ti V1. My temps are good! I did not have time to break it in yet so take these as a grain of salt. I am only listing highest temperatures. Idle:39°C Gaming (MGSV): 64°C. It hasn't gone any higher than that. Its the same in Mad Max. After I have had time to break it in, I believe these will be final temps: 32°C- IDLE Gaming: 54°C. This is just my guess. The real question is should I get a backplate for this?

I think you should be getting better temperatures than this, even with an 80i GT. Are you using a push/pull configuration?

It's very likely your mounting isn't 100%. It's probably impossible with this bracket to get a perfect mount. Reason I say this is because if you read reviews of the EVGA Hydro card, it has 120mm liquid cooler and peaks at 50'c under load while overclocked.

I have two cards. EVGA superclocked 980tis and in SLI running heaven/furmark they both peak in high 50's, say 58/59 (I am using push/pull H90, no break in period). At idle they go almost as low as room temperature (27'C). Your high idle temp leads me to think you have a bad mount. Unless you operating in a sauna.

Also, I saw a youtube video yesterday with an 980ti hooked up to a G10 kraken and he peaked at about 55'c in heaven (with one card).

I think you should be getting better temperatures than this, even with an 80i GT. Are you using a push/pull configuration?

It's very likely your mounting isn't 100%. It's probably impossible with this bracket to get a perfect mount. Reason I say this is because if you read reviews of the EVGA Hydro card, it has 120mm liquid cooler and peaks at 50'c under load while overclocked.

I have two cards. EVGA superclocked 980tis and in SLI running heaven/furmark they both peak in high 50's, say 58/59 (I am using push/pull H90, no break in period). At idle they go almost as low as room temperature (27'C). Your high idle temp leads me to think you have a bad mount. Unless you operating in a sauna.

Also, I saw a youtube video yesterday with an 980ti hooked up to a G10 kraken and he peaked at about 55'c in heaven (with one card).

It might be because I am not using the default fans on the 80i gt. I am using Noctuas in push/pull config with the silent adapter (fans won't go over 2000 rpm). Now if I put on the other adapter, you will see a big difference in temps but I like my setup to be quiet.

It might be because I am not using the default fans on the 80i gt. I am using Noctuas in push/pull config with the silent adapter (fans won't go over 2000 rpm). Now if I put on the other adapter, you will see a big difference in temps but I like my setup to be quiet.

I doubt just higher speed fans will bring it down to mid 50s.

I should have the EVGA kit soon, let's see how that fits with HG10.

I doubt just higher speed fans will bring it down to mid 50s.

I should have the EVGA kit soon, let's see how that fits with HG10.

Just with my case off, it dropped it down 3 degrees. That's 36°C. I'm sure if I wanted to, I can get it in the mid 50's underload that's not with a OC though.

Edited by UsableGamer07

Nice quiet fans that makes sense. I agree that's most important over cooling anyway, I don't think anyone gains much from 5'c cooler when they aren't even overclocking.

I still think your idle temp is high at 36. You might want to try adjusting a couple of the bolts a bit tighter while running a benchmark and see if it changes at all. Of course be careful if you do this, it isn't the safest thing but with these brackets I think it might be the only way to get the best mount.

I ordered myself two G10s to compare to the N980. I will post results when I've installed them.

UseableGamer07's delta T of maybe ~35° C (assuming an ambient of ~30° C) isn't TOO bad, it's more than I would expect from a gaming session though and more what I would expect from a stress test.

I don't think the HG10 vs. the EVGA hybrid kit is ever going to be a fair comparison because it's time to finally admit that the HG10 just isn't designed that well, I wouldn't be surprised if they recalled them.

Hope they DONT recall it!

Even if there would be something faulty, I would rather have the less-than-perfect Product and then modify it into perfection, rather than waiting like ~3 months more Before I can get up'n'running. My mATX build is in pieces on the build table and I really don't want to wait any more to get the N980.

Inet has scheduled the release to 2015-11-16, I really hope they dont abort the shipment or recall it prior to that.

Edited by sebastiannielse

I agree, a recall would make sense. I'll hold on to mine and see what they say.

I look at the kraken g10 and how simple the design is then look at the N980 and see how infinitely more complicated it is just to avoid having an additional back plate and to support VRM and ram cooling

The whole idea was that you could cool your vrms and RAM all in one. Well with a curved board and not all ram or vrms being covered I can't say you get the greatest vrm and ram cooling.

I think the G10 with cheap vrm and memory heatsinks may out perform and likely be less stressful installing.

I still don't get why they didn't do a through board design, I mean this is aftermarket upgrades. People who use these types of kits are probably most concerned with performance and looks second.

UseableGamer07's delta T of maybe ~35° C (assuming an ambient of ~30° C) isn't TOO bad, it's more than I would expect from a gaming session though and more what I would expect from a stress test.

I don't think the HG10 vs. the EVGA hybrid kit is ever going to be a fair comparison because it's time to finally admit that the HG10 just isn't designed that well, I wouldn't be surprised if they recalled them.

What idle and load temps we should expect with 27deg room temp ?

I just tried the EVGA Hybrid, it won't fit with HG10, the square opening is not big enough.

http://imgur.com/share/i/tbMyDO1Cross posting from other thread related to HG10 N980 Braket Installation Issues:

So, I finally got home and tested the new, RMA'd bracket. I have confirmed everyone's suspicions. Basically, this bracket is designed improperly. I will post pictures tomorrow. I haven't tested yet, but, here is what I did:

First, I removed the thermal pads from the bracket. I manually placed them on the components that need to be cooled to ensure they weren't touching any of the taller components. I then loosely mounted the bracket only tightening the screws until minimal force was met. I then mounted the cooler using the AMD bracket. What if found was that the pump is not making proper contact with the die. I have loosened and tightened all of the screws on the pump in different orders with no clear results. The biggest problems I've found are

A) the thermal pads are too thick and the standoffs are too long. This is what is causing the PCB to bend when the bracket is mounted. The standoffs that the PCB mounts to are too long towards the edges closest to the die. While not long enough on the edges of the card, this is causing a bulge near the center of the bracket where the GPU die rests.

B) The standoffs provided that the pump mounts to are also too long. There is a clear gap between the pump and the GPU die. I have pictures where you can actually see where the pump is not touching the die at all. Again, I have tightened and loosened every screw, whether it be the bracket to the PCB or the pump to the bracket, no order of tightening or loosening makes any bit of different.

Point blank, the reason this is failing is due to the improper engineering of the bracket where the PCB mounts to it, causing the PCB to bulge. The exact same thing happened with the first bracket I received. I am going to see if I can get it to rest to a more acceptable liking, but I think my efforts are futile.

If I can't get the pump to mount properly, I will be requesting a full refund on not only the bracket, but the pump as well since I can't use it. If Corsair doesn't refund the full amount of the pump (given I bought it more than 30 days ago in preparation), it will be the very last Corsair product I ever purchase.

The product manager completely dropped the ball. Clearly not enough testing was conducted to make sure these were machined and designed properly. My suspicion is that they pushed this product out early hoping it was good enough, when clearly it isn't.

I am one very unhappy customer right now and will be telling everyone I can find on any forum that asks to completely avoid this product until the kinks are completely ironed out

#endrant

EDIT: Confirmed...idle temperatures at 81 C. Attempted to mount the pump to the die and the bracket to the PCB multiple different ways. Attempted to have many different levels of tightness on all of the screws, including the pump mount, no change in the pumps touch points. Time to fight the battle of getting Corsair to refund my money. Hopefully they will on the pump that I can no longer use. EVGA's Hybrid solution appears to be the best course of action as it mounts directly to the PCB and uses the factory bracket and blower.

Also, uploaded the image. Hard to tell, but you can sort of see the pump isn't directly touching the die.

Really really aggravated that I waited 3 months for this piece of crap. *sigh* back to factory cooling for now I suppose.

Edited by w1nn1ng1

What idle and load temps we should expect with 27deg room temp ?

I just tried the EVGA Hybrid, it won't fit with HG10, the square opening is not big enough.

27° C is still a pretty high (nice :p ) ambient temp, mine is usually around 21° C and a delta T of 30° C with a 120mm CLLC is what I would expect at load, 8-10° C delta T at idle, so 35-37° C at idle, then ~57° C at load. My 980Ti idles at 29° C so I should see some nice temps once I get the ideal mount.

Cross posting from other thread related to HG10 N980 Braket Installation Issues:

So, I finally got home and tested the new, RMA'd bracket. I have confirmed everyone's suspicions. Basically, this bracket is designed improperly. I will post pictures tomorrow. I haven't tested yet, but, here is what I did:

First, I removed the thermal pads from the bracket. I manually placed them on the components that need to be cooled to ensure they weren't touching any of the taller components. I then loosely mounted the bracket only tightening the screws until minimal force was met. I then mounted the cooler using the AMD bracket. What if found was that the pump is not making proper contact with the die. I have loosened and tightened all of the screws on the pump in different orders with no clear results. The biggest problems I've found are

A) the thermal pads are too thick and the standoffs are too long. This is what is causing the PCB to bend when the bracket is mounted. The standoffs that the PCB mounts to are too long towards the edges closest to the die. While not long enough on the edges of the card, this is causing a bulge near the center of the bracket where the GPU die rests.

B) The standoffs provided that the pump mounts to are also too long. There is a clear gap between the pump and the GPU die. I have pictures where you can actually see where the pump is not touching the die at all. Again, I have tightened and loosened every screw, whether it be the bracket to the PCB or the pump to the bracket, no order of tightening or loosening makes any bit of different.

Point blank, the reason this is failing is due to the improper engineering of the bracket where the PCB mounts to it, causing the PCB to bulge. The exact same thing happened with the first bracket I received. I am going to see if I can get it to rest to a more acceptable liking, but I think my efforts are futile.

If I can't get the pump to mount properly, I will be requesting a full refund on not only the bracket, but the pump as well since I can't use it. If Corsair doesn't refund the full amount of the pump (given I bought it more than 30 days ago in preparation), it will be the very last Corsair product I ever purchase.

The product manager completely dropped the ball. Clearly not enough testing was conducted to make sure these were machined and designed properly. My suspicion is that they pushed this product out early hoping it was good enough, when clearly it isn't.

I am one very unhappy customer right now and will be telling everyone I can find on any forum that asks to completely avoid this product until the kinks are completely ironed out

#endrant

EDIT: Confirmed...idle temperatures at 81 C. Attempted to mount the pump to the die and the bracket to the PCB multiple different ways. Attempted to have many different levels of tightness on all of the screws, including the pump mount, no change in the pumps touch points. Time to fight the battle of getting Corsair to refund my money. Hopefully they will on the pump that I can no longer use. EVGA's Hybrid solution appears to be the best course of action as it mounts directly to the PCB and uses the factory bracket and blower.

Really really aggravated that I waited 3 months for this piece of crap. *sigh* back to factory cooling for now I suppose.

I honestly can't believe that the video card used for the HG10 N980 product images is clearly bent too, which demonstrates that Corsair knew that it was going to bend the PCB on some bloody expensive hardware prior to releasing it. It may be a non-issue to some, but it really bothers me and I just don't really care to find out how robust my £550 graphics card is for the sake of a £40 bracket. If there is even the slightest hint of a bend during installation, the bracket is going straight back. Maybe they need to get MSI to manufacture their own patented design lol.

Edited by anti-duck

Alright guys, I performed a few stress tests with a tiny OC. I ran heaven benchmark and let it heat up the card. I did this to heat up my paste on the card. I left it at 70°C for five minutes then turned off the system and walked away for an hour. I now have rebooted the system and am getting better results! My new Temps are as followings. Idle:33 gaming (MGSV upscale 4k): 53°C. I am very happy with these results as I am running a quiet setup. If you guys have any questions just ask. I will also be happy to post pictures for you guys

27° C is still a pretty high (nice :p ) ambient temp, mine is usually around 21° C and a delta T of 30° C with a 120mm CLLC is what I would expect at load, 8-10° C delta T at idle, so 35-37° C at idle, then ~57° C at load. My 980Ti idles at 29° C so I should see some nice temps once I get the ideal mount.

I honestly can't believe that the video card used for the HG10 N980 product images is clearly bent too, which demonstrates that Corsair knew that it was going to bend the PCB on some bloody expensive hardware prior to releasing it. It may be a non-issue to some, but it really bothers me and I just don't really care to find out how robust my £550 graphics card is for the sake of a £40 bracket. If there is even the slightest hint of a bend during installation, the bracket is going straight back. Maybe they need to get MSI to manufacture their own patented design lol.

So then I am off by degrees at least with HG10+H80i. I am using two Noctua fans in push pull though.

The bend I think is a serious problem. I had a tough time slotting it in the PCI slot even though my bend is very slight. I am sure either the card or the PCI slot or the MB is going to get damaged sometime.

I managed to install the EVGA hybrid on the 4995. I could use both the front and back plates. I had to just remove the springs from the GPU screws. Temps are similar to HG10+H80i, but that I think is mostly due to thermal paste getting a whack I was trying to adjust the screws. A refit should solve this, now that I know not to use the springs.

I might add the fan from the HG10 for now for VRM cooling, it fits within the EVGA Hybrid shroud. Maybe Corsiar should just sell the fan;)

Alright guys, I performed a few stress tests with a tiny OC. I ran heaven benchmark and let it heat up the card. I did this to heat up my paste on the card. I left it at 70°C for five minutes then turned off the system and walked away for an hour. I now have rebooted the system and am getting better results! My new Temps are as followings. Idle:33 gaming (MGSV upscale 4k): 53°C. I am very happy with these results as I am running a quiet setup. If you guys have any questions just ask. I will also be happy to post pictures for you guys

Wow! Something to try then.

So then I am off by degrees at least with HG10+H80i. I am using two Noctua fans in push pull though.

The bend I think is a serious problem. I had a tough time slotting it in the PCI slot even though my bend is very slight. I am sure either the card or the PCI slot or the MB is going to get damaged sometime.

I managed to install the EVGA hybrid on the 4995. I could use both the front and back plates. I had to just remove the springs from the GPU screws. Temps are similar to HG10+H80i, but that I think is mostly due to thermal paste getting a whack I was trying to adjust the screws. A refit should solve this, now that I know not to use the springs.

I might add the fan from the HG10 for now for VRM cooling, it fits within the EVGA Hybrid shroud. Maybe Corsair should just sell the fan;)

Ahhhh, that's awesome! I honestly didn't know the blower fan attached to EVGA's hybrid shroud, from everything I've seen, it looks like it attaches to the reference heatspreader and pops out through the hole in the shroud.

Ahhhh, that's awesome! I honestly didn't know the blower fan attached to EVGA's hybrid shroud, from everything I've seen, it looks like it attaches to the reference heatspreader and pops out through the hole in the shroud.

Yes, it's fixed on the front plate, the shroud just hovers over it.

I might add the fan from the HG10 for now for VRM cooling, it fits within the EVGA Hybrid shroud. Maybe Corsair should just sell the fan;)

i'm not too sure what load temps should be though as I've never used a CLLC on a GPU, but a delta T of 30 sounds reasonable. With an ambient of 27 though, your card should idle at about ~35 though.

So I had to make an account. I was eagerly awaiting for the H10 N980 to launch and then I finally snapped when the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid kit went on sale and had $20 rebate.

I had a spare Corsair H60 lying around that I planned on using with it (I also have a Kraken G10 and Corsair H50 V1 that isn't compatible with it). And I didn't want to risk damaging my car getting the Kraken G10 to work with the H60.

I just read through the other thread and I'm so glad I gave into my moment of weakness while the Hybrid was still in stock. 20 minute install, am running my GTX 980 Ti @ +250 Core/+250 Mem stock volts idle temps 21c and load temps 45C.

Corsair really dropped the ball on this product. If I had known it was going to be this bad (the wait for launch and then the hardships for users) I'd have not even bothered and just got the Hybrid kit back when I got my 980 Ti.

I got a lot of Corsair products in my household, this isn't enough to prevent me from swearing them off, but it just sucks how this product rolled out.

Good luck to you guys trying to make it work properly.