Corsair Community

CORSAIR Vengeance 5185 (280X case) largest power supply

18B

What is the biggest power supply I can install in my CORSAIR Vengeance 5185 without having to modify anything. I want a replacement that has more power but fits physically without modifying anything, if it plugged is the same that would be great.

It currently has a CORSAIR TX650M 650W 80 PLUS GOLD from the factory. On Corsairs website I can only find this which looks the same, has the same model number but says it's "silver certified" if that matters.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/Vengeance-Series/p/CP-9020175-NA

What other Corsair PSU can I get that is plug and play but with more power? I'm basically looking for the quietest PSU I can fit with the most Watts possible within reason. I see they make the AX1600i in both 1600W and 1200W but that's quite expensive. I would like to step up to something that's at least 1000W, going from 650W to 750W don't seem worth buying for just 100W more.

Also, it's been 8/10 years since I built a PC, this power supply currently installed is semi-modular. If I replace it with a full modular PSU I would need to know what extra cables to purchase or if the extra cables are supplied. I prefer to stick with a Corsair PSU, I've yet to have an issue with a Corsair product.

PC SPECS if needed:

CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz

GPU: NVIDIA MSI GeForce RTX 2080

MOBO: MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC (MS-7B50)

RAM: 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 16GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz

An RM1000 should fit just fine. Personally, I have an RM750 in my 280X and there's plenty of room in there for it.

What extra cables would you need?

Since whats installed is semi-modular; if replacing it with a 100% modular I would need the cable that would go in place of whatever the TX650M already has permanently installed. From what I can see without taking it apart, the non modular cable from my PSU splits and goes to a 24 pin (2x12) on the mobo and 2 molex looking plugs on the GPU.