Corsair Community

680x RGB fan setup help

Gavin0478

Hi so I am waiting for some parts still to arrive for my 680x build and I was struggling with how some of the rgb can and will connect.

So the 680x comes with 3 x ll120's a rgb fan hub and a lighting node pro.

I will be adding my 3 x ll120's from my current build (I have the hub and node too).

I will be adding the Corsair CL-8930002 RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit.

I will also be using my h100i v2.

I will be also using a nzxt usb hub to solve needing more usb2 headers.

I wanted to run 8 fans but as ll120s only give full effect on one side i thought about adding 2 x ql120's to keep a positive pressure case but im a bit puzzled as the triple pack of them uses the lighting node core.

Can i still run the 2 ql120's off the second rgb fan hub via the same/second node pro and plug the lighting into the other port on one of the nodes?

Dont want to dump more into the build if it wont all work together.

Cheers for your help as i have looked through the info on here but it doesent help when mixing.

I know this isn't what you're wanting, but I'm at the same stage you are-waiting on parts (come on Monday!!!), and this is my first build using corsair fans so I can't give you a definitive yes or no you can or can't do that. I'd suggest doing the same thing I have, I've been reading Zotty's Corsair RGB Hardware and ICUE Ecosystem thread here: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880 at least until someone knowledgeable chimes in anyway.

From what I can tell you're not supposed to mix fans with different led setups on the same controller. Please don't take this as gospel, that's just my interpretation. Anyway, just trying to be helpful, please let me know if that isn't the case. It'd be really helpful for me if it wasn't.

For a bit of background, I'm setting up a 570X with 4 SP120 RGB Pro fans to replace the regular SP120 RGBs that come preinstalled and was trying to find out if I could do the same thing with QLs for the exhaust fans on top. I'll probably end up getting QLs for the whole build, they just look killer even to an old fart like me.

Edit: If you go down to #5 in the "Some Basic Questions Answered" section in that thread I linked it says:

You can NOT mix fan types on the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub.

Edited by OldHardwareTech

Hi so I am waiting for some parts still to arrive for my 680x build and I was struggling with how some of the rgb can and will connect.

So the 680x comes with 3 x ll120's a rgb fan hub and a lighting node pro.

I will be adding my 3 x ll120's from my current build (I have the hub and node too).

I will be adding the Corsair CL-8930002 RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit.

I will also be using my h100i v2.

I will be also using a nzxt usb hub to solve needing more usb2 headers.

I wanted to run 8 fans but as ll120s only give full effect on one side i thought about adding 2 x ql120's to keep a positive pressure case but im a bit puzzled as the triple pack of them uses the lighting node core.

Can i still run the 2 ql120's off the second rgb fan hub via the same/second node pro and plug the lighting into the other port on one of the nodes?

Dont want to dump more into the build if it wont all work together.

Cheers for your help as i have looked through the info on here but it doesent help when mixing.

I can't understand your configuration... maybe you should write down a gtaphic to clarify.

Some points to remember:

LL and QL triple packs come with different stuff inside.

LL packs give you 1 RGB Hub and 1 Lighting Node Pro.

QL packs give you 1 Lighting Node Core.

LNC=RGB Hub+LNP, so LNC has a SATA and a USB connection.

QL will work if plugged into a RGB Hub.

You can't mix fans with different LED numbers (you can but you'll get ugly effects, unless you are planning to use fixed colors), as well as you can't mix fans and LED strips on the same RGB Hub or LNP channel (I don't know this from direct experience, just read here).

Hope it helps!

Baio

Hi so i was looking at using the 2 x ql120's purely because they have the full led effect on the rear and I was going to place them on the bottom of the case as inlet fans so the rear would have been showing. I thought they were similar to the ll120's but with the aditional rear led's too. If they will look different when using patterns I will leave them for the time being.

Hi so i was looking at using the 2 x ql120's purely because they have the full led effect on the rear and I was going to place them on the bottom of the case as inlet fans so the rear would have been showing. I thought they were similar to the ll120's but with the aditional rear led's too. If they will look different when using patterns I will leave them for the time being.

Well, that’s a solution.

Same patterns on fan with different number of LED will produce weird effects for sure, but who knows HOW MUCH weird until you try?

Good luck mate!

Baio