Corsair Community

TIFU and Ruined my K65 Probably..

So this morning as I was getting ready for work, a cup of watered down sweet tea spilled on the bottom row of my K65 RGB.

The keyboard flickered and row by row the LED's turned off.

I unplugged it and tried to clean up as much as I could.

Before I left, I plugged it back in and the keyboard doesn't seem as bright as it used to be. I unplugged it and left it.

I'm stuck at work for 12 hours now, and work 12 hours a day for the next 3 days.

On a scale from It'll be fine to Buy a new Keyboard, how screwed am I?

I know Corsair doesn't cover this type of damage in their warranty, so I'd assume it's pointless to try to RMA it.

It'll be mostly dry by the time I get home I'm sure, would it even be worth checking out to see if it's fine or continue to let it dry?

I know that the keys are soldered to the board, so if the LED's are not bright anymore I assume the keyboard is shot?

Before I left, I quickly plugged it back in to see if any LED's were out, and the entire keyboard seemed like it VERY dim. The windows key closest to where the liquid entered still worked just fine, so I hope that's a promising sign?

Currently the keyboard is sitting key side down, unplugged on a clean towel as that's the best I could do. I had my girlfriend place it like that since I was already at work. When she placed it like that she insisted that the keyboard vibrated. I explained to her that that was physically impossible, however she's adamant that it vibrated.

Well, personally I'd take the keyboard apart and clean everything I could with alcohol as best as possible. That's the best you can do. Take pictures of the disassembly process, don't mix up screws and take your time.

The worst you can do is let it "dry" and let leave the gunky tea residue to further rust components. In fact, you should've done that immediately, I'm positive a lot of the metal might have started to rust. If you can, try and open the switches to clean the springs and inside too. There are guides how to do so. Be careful, try doing that on a key you use the least like the pause/break button.

Well, personally I'd take the keyboard apart and clean everything I could with alcohol as best as possible. That's the best you can do. Take pictures of the disassembly process, don't mix up screws and take your time.

The worst you can do is let it "dry" and let leave the gunky tea residue to further rust components. In fact, you should've done that immediately, I'm positive a lot of the metal might have started to rust. If you can, try and open the switches to clean the springs and inside too. There are guides how to do so. Be careful, try doing that on a key you use the least like the pause/break button.

Well I got home from work last night thinking that my KB was surly dead.

I took it apart following a teardown guide and discovered that there was very little liquid left inside.

I cleaned everything up, and used 91% Iso on the PCB to cleanup any residue.

Took a soft brush with 91% and cleaned the switches and tried to do what I could for the PCB facing the metal.

Put everything back together, and the KB still works. All the lights are on.

Still seems a bit dim to me,but I think that's just because I'm using a dark blue. Red seems just fine.

Think I got pretty lucky with this accident.

Archived