Corsair Community

my new memory is very slow

vellorien

hey,

I got my memory today. installed two twin2X2048-6400C5DHX G sticks.. so 4 altogether. I just tested my PC at PC-Pitstop and it says my memory speed is in the bottom 18% of all computers tested, so extremely slow.

I installed it how I was instructed and they're compatible with my motherboard so what could the problem be? is there anything i may have not done correctly?

thanks.

edit: when i installed these i just swpped out my old ddr2-667 sticks and put these ones in, do i have to change any setting when i do that like in the bios?

Don't expect too much with an AMD board and CPU. Don't compare with the Intel boards as the AMD is MUCH slower. Also, it's not as though 6400C5 is fast DRAM. It's 800Mhz and can't be compared to higher speed DRAM. So, don't compare AMD with Intel. Don't compare 6400C5 with 6400C4, 8500C5, 9136C5, 10000C5...

Download memtest from http://www.memtest.org and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before.

Set to these values

HT Link Frequency = AutoPCI-e Clock = 100MhzSet Memory Clock = DDR 800DRAM ConfigurationtCL (CAS Latency) = 5T1T/2T Command Timing = 2TtRCD (RAS to CAS R/W Delay) = 5TtRP (Row Precharge Time) = 5tRAS (Minimum RAS Active Time) = 15TLeave all other Memory Timings to AutoCPU Clock Ratio = AutoCPU Host Clock Control = AutoCPU Frequency (MHz) = Set to 200System Voltage Control = AutoCPU Voltage Control = AutoDDR2 Voltage Control = +.1vCPU Spread Spectrum : Enabled

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

Problem.

I just changed most of the setting that weren’t already as you had written. I got to the last couple of thing to change the '1T/2T Command Timing = 2T' setting, then my screen froze up. Keyboard went dead nothing worked. I waited for 5 mins then had to reset my PC (something I didn't want to do). After the PC came back on it won't boot at all. It just beeping for like 3 seconds, then stop and beep for another 3-4 seconds, then stop, then beep etc.

Basically my PC is now dead. :(:

What can I do? Someone must have had this before with all the advice about the bios here.

use this to get your pc going again:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=4566&stc=1&d=1226616534

after that load up setup defaults in the bios, save and exit the bios.

retry the settings that Derek gave you. (if possible leave command rate to auto)

giga.JPG.f328c86cc0f5411e90048aeb31112e22.JPG

it didn't work :( took the battery out and waited like 3 mins, put it back and its just the same. It beeps then stops, beeps again then stops for longer, and then does all that again. after the second longer pause it beeps twice for like 2 seconds each right after each other.

any ideas?:(:

I managed to get it up and running again, I took ages though had almost everything stripped out of the computer at one point, cause the beeps it was making were random.

I replaced the memory with my old memory and it started up right away, then got to select old good configuration.

I’m just looking to know if its worth messing with those settings again, are they safe? and will they make much of a differance?

also should this memory work at the speed they are supposed to with my PC?

thanks.

edit: is it possible the corsair memory could be damaged now? or is it likely more somthing do to with settings?

• Corsair Employee
Those modules are compatible but you would not be able to mix them with the other memory you had previously and you will need to load setup defaults when you change the memory, if you think one is failing we can sure try replacing them, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

hey.

Just finished scanning my memory with memtest, It didn't find any problems.

I decided to give those setting another shot, I managed to change them all this time without it crashing, but when my computer restarted with those settings it started beeping again, it doesn't look like they work.

what else could I try? it doesn't look like the memory is damaged, but its not running at full speed according to pcpitstop's test.

Could anyone recommend something to try next?

Thanks.

WOW! … just tested it again because I noticed everything was loading faster than it was earlier. just got top 12% of all ram tested on pcpitstop, so I’m assuming that’s accurate! best score I’ve had yet anyway :D doesn't make much sense as to why only now it is working, but I can't complain, just hope it stays that way.

• Corsair Employee

If the system is stable I would not mess with it.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived