Corsair Community

ASUS Striker Won't post with 4GB

JakeWSYSA

Hi,

I understand that this may not be a problem with the corsair memory but I've heard rumors of others success and hope that someone more knowledgable about memory could shed some light on the problem.

I purchased an asus striker extreme and a quad core QX6700 then bought 2 sets of the 9136 Dominator memory. Initially the system would not boot with all four modules in. I removed 2 and it works properly, I can run them at a reasonable speed and get no errors in mem test. After reading different posts in these forums I gathered a list of things to try to get the additional 2GB of memory to survive a post. I found one suggestion from RAM Guy which suggested to disable the sli and set the memory timings and lower the clock speed to 667mhz. After doing this the single pair posted but the dual pair did not. I then lowered the Memory Bus speed to 500MHZ on recommendation of another user and ran into the same problem.

It may also be significant to note that my system will not post even 1 set of memory on my EVGA 122-CK-NF65-TR. If I replace the Dominator memory with 2 or 4 XMS 8500 512MB chips on either motherboard and I get a successful post. If I mix 1 set of dominator and 1 set of 8500 on the Striker I get No Post.

The system settings do not seem to affect the memory timings and I would like to know first off if there is any settings that could potentially override my manual configuration of this memory? Is the EPP telling the motherboard to override my 500MHZ Settings? I really need to find a way to get 4GB to work as that was one of the main reasons for this upgrade. The applications that I runu push the system to use more than 2gb and I don't to use a paging file.

ASUS said that the memory will not work in 4x1 configuration, is that true? If it is true what factors within my control could cause this?

Voltage?

MHZ?

Timing

FSB Speed?

Is there a way to confirm what ASUS Claims? I've read on other sites that users have had issues with corsair and thie 680i boards when it comes to 4GB setups. Is that possible?

• Corsair Employee

The Chipset will not be able to run at 1142MHZ DDR Frequency with 4 modules installed. I have seen results range from 1000MHZ to 1100MHZ on the average(A few incidents users could not reach 1000MHZ but I would list those as special cases). Try the following settings and gradually increase the Memory Frequency to find the max stable frequency on Striker Extreme:

FIRST THING CLEAR CMOS!!

Memory Voltage: 2.1v

NB Core Voltage: 1.5v

SLI Ready: Disabled

FSB Memory CLock Mode: Unlinked

FSB QDR MHZ: 1066MHZ(leave at 1066MHZ when testing RAM, Do not OC)

MEM DDR MHZ: 800MHZ(start with 800MHZ increase by 20MHZ each time you test)

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2T

TRC: 28

Anything above 667Mhz causes the system to freeze up, when I hit 800mhz it freezes up within 30 seconds. It won't load memtest or even allow me enough time to use the bios to change it back.

One item of interest is that I can run a non corsair 4x1GB setup with 1066 Speeds at 2.1v and the NB at 1.4. This makes me wonder if I should try purcahsing the Dominator fans and see if that helps the memory.

On the Motherboard I have some unfamiliar options and am curious if they can be used to trouble shoot the problem.

DDRII Controller Ref Voltage: AUTO

DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage: AUTO

DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage: AUTO

I notice alot of people having trouble with memory and the 680i chipset but it seems that much of the problem is improper settings. I sure hope I can use these dominators for more than a 900 dollar paper weight :(

Anything above 667Mhz causes the system to freeze up, when I hit 800mhz it freezes up within 30 seconds. It won't load memtest or even allow me enough time to use the bios to change it back.

One item of interest is that I can run a non corsair 4x1GB setup with 1066 Speeds at 2.1v and the NB at 1.4. This makes me wonder if I should try purcahsing the Dominator fans and see if that helps the memory.

On the Motherboard I have some unfamiliar options and am curious if they can be used to trouble shoot the problem.

DDRII Controller Ref Voltage: AUTO

DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage: AUTO

DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage: AUTO

I notice alot of people having trouble with memory and the 680i chipset but it seems that much of the problem is improper settings. I sure hope I can use these dominators for more than a 900 dollar paper weight :(

You might like to try this as well...

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59571

Just reset BIOS and boot with 667MHz.

When you manually adjust Vref, run your dimms in 800MHz with all 4GB in slots at Vdimm=2.1v, even though Dominator class of modules are capable of playing with 2.2v.

As your case seems oddly severe, maybe you should try going reverse from +.30mV to +.10mV to gauge the stability.

BTW, those nice Dominator fans won't help.

• Corsair Employee

We have tested 4 1.0 Gig modules of XM2S-6400C4D on Striker Extreme, also tested on P5N-E and P5N32-E SLI.

Load Setup Defaults and then set these settings:

SLI ready: Disabled

CPU Clock: Auto

Mem Clock: Auto

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24