Corsair Community

Buzzing capacitors/coils in Corsair HX 1000w while in games, 3D apps. What to glue?

3ug3n

So after 2 days of non stop research about my problem and looking onto 10 pages of this section, here are the results:

1. My problem is very similar to this dude's problem: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82556

The only difference is that I'm having a Sapphire ATI 5870 , on a Gigabyte X58A UD7.

2. I am very sure that I've done everything I could outside the PSU box, meaning:

-disabled C1E state , EIST , VSYNC ON etc , but the buzzing still exists when I'm in a game and immediately stops when I exit the game.

-taken parts outside the case to analyze each one of them to make sure that only the PSU is faulty ,and it is, no other part buzzes or screams.

-tried every possible combination with the rails to power supply the video card and get no buzz but still no success.

-used the power supply on my older PC (7600 gt , p4 3.0ghz , gigabyte 8ik-1100) and the buzz still exists but not as loud on my 5870.

Extra info:

The reason I wanted this PSU so bad is because I heard many voices talking about Corsair being the best PSUs along with Seasonic and in the future I'll add 2 more 5870's , but given the fact that it buzzes like hell with just 1 video card drives me crazy. The buzz can be heard in a room that's 5m/4m.

I live in Europe/Romania so the input is 240V , 50Hz

Purchased this PSU on February 4th 2010 from http://www.mediadot.ro and their supplier is "Aline" , the box was sealed so there was no way for them to sent me a used PSU.

On the label on the box it's written under a bar code :

CMPSU-1000HXEU

ASSY IN CHINA

8 43591 00071 0

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My conclusion and concerns:

-The capacitors and the coils should be faulty , not being glued very well to the PCB since it's been assembled in China therefor when they send energy to the video card , they vibrate very fast creating that buzzing sound.

-There's no way we can talk about the parts age here since I got it 1 week ago (but maybe you can tell me when it was built telling from the serial number I provided) and it was buzzing since then but I thought it was the motherboard at first and ignored it.

-No it is not the fan , the fan does it's job properly, it is very silent.

-Everything I have , motherboard , video card etc are up-to-date.

-The game I tested the noise was L4D2 in the main menu and ingame. The buzz stops for a few secs when switching VSync ON but then it comes back. The problem persists in other newer games that require alot of resources.There's a slight buzz(hard to hear) too when scrolling browser pages.

------------------------------------------------------

And my options:

1) Send it back to the virtual store , and wait 1 month without a functioning PC for them to return me my money(IF they accept it back because they want pictures before I send it without scratches or w/e) and buy another Corsair HX1000w from the store that finally has this PSU in my town.

2) RMA it and hope to send me a new one that doesn't have this problem although the guy already told me they do not guarantee for the next new PSU not to have the same problem and wait a maximum of 15 days with no back-up PSU ?

3)Void the warranty , glue the coils and capacitors myself. If this option , please point me to which parts I should glue?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDReviews/images/HX1000/DSCF0052.jpg

Thank you very much for bothering reading this whole novel , I really appreciate it.

First, even if you don't open the case, anything you do inside, such as adding glue or nail polish will almost certainly void your warranty. You would be better off to return the unit to where you got it or get an RMA from Corsair to return it to them.

Before you do anything, though, have you looked at the first sticky thread at the top of the page to see if the suggestions there will help you?

First, even if you don't open the case, anything you do inside, such as adding glue or nail polish will almost certainly void your warranty. You would be better off to return the unit to where you got it or get an RMA from Corsair to return it to them.

Before you do anything, though, have you looked at the first sticky thread at the top of the page to see if the suggestions there will help you?

Yes I did check that sticky before posting , and disabling C1E and EIST didn't help me. And I cannot tell from Safe Mode if the PSU creates noise as I cannot open any game or ati tools.

Are all Corsair PSU's in Europe assembled in China ?

LE: OK I dropped the idea of glueing myself . I'm gonna RMA it but they haven't guaranteed for the next PSU to not have the same problem because they haven't tested yet such big PSUs. Let's say I'd let them take a look inside the PSU and glue stuff , what parts need glueing so the buzz will stop?

As far as I know, all Corsairs are assembled in China.

Who is "they?" The vendor or Corsair? I doubt either of them are going to do any gluing for you. My suggestion (keep in mind I do not work for Corsair) is, if you can, return the unit to the vendor for a refund and try another one from the local vendor so it will be easier to return if you still have trouble. If you still do have trouble, try to find another brand PSU to put in your system to see if it works and the problem isn't your system. If that works, return the Corsair and chalk the experience to a weird incompatibility issue (which would be a shame since Corsairs generally get better reviews).

The vendor from which I purchased the PSU is 300 kilometers away from my home and they are not so great when it comes to RMA and I don't have any other powerful PSU to replace this one meanwhile , all I got is another 500w rm and another 2 400w and 300w noname PSUs. And neither my friends have any. Hopefully someone will knock at my door with a new PSU and ask me to trade my faulty one with the new one, I CANNOT LIVE ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT MY PRECIOUS.

Anyways ,

Your case number is 1341771, please keep this number for future reference.

Thank you. Customer Service will contact you shortly with an RMA Number.

I've picked the 3rd option with "ramguy" and pasted 438738 , hope I did right.

Archived