Corsair Community

questions before buying link commander

wytnyt

too many times ive bought products only to find other wise

does the main link unit thats housed in the 3.5 bay show or is it simply a internal unit?

will this control a 200 mm fan in desired increments?

are the 2 fans on the h80 able to be controlled separately or in tandem?

will this control h80 fans in increments or simply low/med/high?

are connectors included to wire a 4 pin molex connector fan?

on the h80 does the 3 speeds on the cpu block only control fan speed or also cpu block impellor speed also and if so can the link commander control these independently ?

are the rgb light strips sold separately?

im sure ill have other questions but these are my current concerns

thx in advance

Hi wytnyt. I have the link and H80, so I have answered the questions as best I could based on my install. Hope it helps.

does the main link unit thats housed in the 3.5 bay show or is it simply a internal unit?
I have my corsair link unit in a 3.5 adaptor in a 5 1/4 bay behind the mesh front of my case. That way I can see it from the front of the case. I think if the 3.5 adapter was turned around so that "front" actually faced the front the link would be flush with the front of the case.

will this control a 200 mm fan in desired increments?

I don't have a 200mm fan, but if it was a compatible PWM fan it would. I have found my fans which are rated for 500-1500 rpm I can set to within about 100rpm of my desired speed. I think I read elsewhere that the 200mm fans may not have much control because they only vary by about 300RPM between low and high speeds

Both are separate

will this control h80 fans in increments or simply low/med/high?

You can either choose low/med/high, set a fixed RPM, or choose the curve that you want it to follow based on temp

My 4 pin PWM fans just plug straight into the cooling node.

on the h80 does the 3 speeds on the cpu block only control fan speed or also cpu block impellor speed also and if so can the link commander control these independently ?

As far as I can tell with mine the pump speed doesn't change, and I don't see a way to change it in the software

I don't think they are sold separately currently. The three included I have found are enough for now, I have my front bay and my motherboard / gfx card lit up with them. I did see they are selling the lighting node separately on the website now for $40 from memory. That would let you control the extra LEDs separately.

Quote:

Both are separate

Sorry i have to correct this one. The fans are separate but they are controlled in tandem. When you change the profile both fans respond. There is no way to control the fans independently with out a third party fan controller.

My 4 pin PWM fans just plug straight into the cooling node.

A 4 pin PWM fan connector will plug right in. If it is a 4 pin molex, you'll need an adapter of some sort.

Yes, pump speed should be pretty constant. Only the fans change RPM's according to the profile set.

You can buy all the pieces separately or you can buy a "kit" with the lighting nodes and always purchase more at a later time if you need them.

http://www.corsair.com/us/corsair-link/corsair-link-kits.html

i appreciate the info as this has addressed most of my concerns,however

from several threads ive read there seem to be an issue with fan compatibility with the link

i dont have a problem buying corsair fans but their selection seems limited with nothing offered below a 100mm fan.

has anyone ran any particular brand of fan that works good with the link?

im having to toss existing fans if i buy the link so i wanted to insure i get ones that work

tia'

Sorry i have to correct this one. The fans are separate but they are controlled in tandem. When you change the profile both fans respond. There is no way to control the fans independently with out a third party fan controller.

Ah, I probably should clarify. When connected to the link, I can control each fan individually. They show up separately in the Link software, and each have their own speed settings. They are only in tandem if you control it via the button on the cooling block.

Ah, I probably should clarify. When connected to the link, I can control each fan individually. They show up separately in the Link software, and each have their own speed settings. They are only in tandem if you control it via the button on the cooling block.

thats good to know and really appreciate the input.

im in the middle of finding fans that will work with my case

everything i add has to be modified since i went with a micro atx case.:biggrin:

Archived