Corsair Community

Question for force and gt SSD owners / firefox

Garage1217

Just an observation... I still get random freezes which do not blue screen, but I finally looked at the error when re-starting and it states it is a blue screen failure. One thing I have noticed above anything is that these freezes only happen when using firefox / latest version and only happen at random usually only once a day, sometimes twice a day. I tried re-installing firefox, same thing. Tried IE and did not have any issues at all for 2 days, back to firefox and after a few hours had the issue. I stuck in a standard sata drive, a WD green and have not had any freezes or bsods while using firefox. Back to my 120gb GT and after several hours it happened so it is narrowed down to the corsair force gt drive and firefox. I can work for 12 hours straight using any other programs without a hitch to note.

So my question is, how many others are experiencing these issues, only with firefox in use?

I guess I am one of them. All of my crashes occur using Firefox but it is the program that I use most often so whether that is conclusive or not I have no idea.

Somehow I doubt it is Firefox related as this software runs on many millions of systems worldwide without issue and ran on my other SSD without issue

If using Firefox is necessary, then you may as well update to the new 1.3 firmware for your drive. There is specific Firefox related error that I have heard of but, your symptoms generically resemble the freezes/lag that some users reported with the 1.2 firmware.

Hey Yellowbeard, I was one of the first to upgrade to 1.3 and the issues still are the same. On my AMD system, I cannot tell any difference between 1.2 and 1.3, all is as it was. Going to try chrome out and see what happens or if things get better.

same problem here.. I have Force GT 60GB, I also update the SSD to FW 1.3, but the real problem was Firefox build 5.xx, now I update to 6.0 and everything works with charm, so I think the problem is solved, but it's strange, 'cause Firefox is often used by tons of users around the world. If you don't want more BSOD because of Firefox, just update your FW to version 1.3 and also update the Firefox to the latest version 6.0 and everything should by fine since then

I will check into that. To report, I did upgrade to the latest firefox when I got home and after several hours had another freeze. I dug into the power management control settings and hard drives were set to power down after 20 minutes. I am wondering since I am only browsing / surfing that the drive goes to sleep during this period even though I am working on the pc causing a freeze? I went ahead and set it to never. I guess it is a waiting game to see what happens. If it does happen again, I will start looking into other items like the hardware acceleration and will report back.

Well so far so good! Do not want to jinx it but after many hours, all is rock solid with no freezes. I would not call it a success unless it can make it a few more days but all is looking great! To note...

- Sb850 controller

- 1.3 firmware

- ahci enabled in windows and bios

- trim enabled

- Advanced power management settings: Hard Disk Set to never / PCI Set to Never turn off as well

Drive is FREAKING FAST! Even with all the programs running at startup that I have, it only takes 19 seconds from the moment I hit the power button! Here is a vid of the little rocket loading windows 7 64

http://www.garage1217.com/NEWPC/19SECTODESKTOP.AVI

Even with the minor issues I have overcome, it was a learning experience and well worth the speed. Makes working on my new laptop seem PAINFULLY SLOW in comparison.

Will report back in a few days if all is good or will report back immediately if I have another random freeze.

Few more days down, no freezes at all! Looks like I am good to go! Was not firefox if you read above, it was a coincidence that my drives were going to sleep while I was browsing with firefox. Also updated my AMD drivers which run the SB850 at the same time so not sure if that also helped.

One thing I never thought about really speed wise... I ran a scan on my drive / virus scan and wholly freakin crap! Never have I seen anything scan that fast in my life. Talk about a time saver!

Archived