Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

The real gains are going to be HBM2, but it's going to be a bit of a double edged sword as HBM2 equipped Pascal video cards are probably going to be crap in a price to performance comparison vs Maxwell and GDDR5X equipped Pascal, I don't know where the GDDR5X cards are going to end too.

But yeah, that 400% performance gain is probably a bit exaggerated unless that was at 4k or the old trick that Nvidia and AMD use to hype their cards up and use a relative performance per watt scale.

AMD's Richard Huddy said in an interview that they know they can reach 5nm with silicone but that it becomes more difficult after 10nm. What I took from that is that they do have a way to shrink beyond 10nm. I can't post links right now unfortunately, but if you want to see the interview, search YouTube for "interview with AMD's Richard Huddy", the interview is on Techteam GB's channel. If nothing else, it's a really interesting interview.

Nah. HBM Certainly is the future, but in an incremental way, nothing groundbreaking. All it does is let next gen GPUs breathe a little more, but the truth is that currently GPU's are not memory bandwidth limited, so the bottleneck will still be the GPU, not the VRAM.

Where I think Pascal will be interesting is that it will be he first die shrink in forever. They have been stuck at 28nm since the Radeon 7970 was launched in 2012, a bloody eternity in these things.

If you think of it this way, the 680, 690, 780, Titan, 780ti, Titan Black, Titan Z, 980, 980ti and Titan X are all on the same 28nm process. This is completely unprecedented (at the same time it is pretty impressive how much of an improvement they were able to get going from 680 to Titan X on the same process)

Pascal will reportedly skip a generation and go straight for 16nm, which will lowethe power use and heat output, and allow for much more powerful designs.

One could argue that this will be the biggest advance for Nvidia since the 680...

They probably won't go full out though, unless AMD also.launches something competitive. That way they can pace themselves and leave easy performance gains for the next generation after Pascal, or Pascal2 or whatever you call it, just like how we got a Maxwell refresh.

A big Pascal should be interesting indeed.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

75C is well within normal temps for the gpu itself and i cant hear the gentle typhoon 1450, which was my goal. Unfortunately, I CAN hear the hg10 fan, which is by far the loudest component of my system both at load and idle.

Man, you guys must push your GPUs a lot harder than me, or I got very lucky with the EVGA hybrid kit and my TMI application. Do you see 70*+ while gaming in real world scenarios, or just hard benchmarks?

Just installed the HG10 with H60 on my Gainward GTX 970 and all seems to have gone off without a hitch, but I have a few questions.

1) I have the rad fan plugged into the mobo (CHA_FAN1), what would be the easiest way to control its speed?

2) The blower fan on the bracket has a weird noise to it at idle. What can I do about that? Current software only allows me to drop the speed to 22%, but I can load up a different bios with the built-in software. Or should I maybe try swapping the fan for the original, which I seem to remember being quieter?

Just installed the HG10 with H60 on my Gainward GTX 970 and all seems to have gone off without a hitch, but I have a few questions.

1) I have the rad fan plugged into the mobo (CHA_FAN1), what would be the easiest way to control its speed?

2) The blower fan on the bracket has a weird noise to it at idle. What can I do about that? Current software only allows me to drop the speed to 22%, but I can load up a different bios with the built-in software. Or should I maybe try swapping the fan for the original, which I seem to remember being quieter?

I did both of these by making a custom wire harness. I'd repost it but I am currently travelling in Brazil and only have my phone.

I posted a diagram and a picture of the finished result, several pages ago, I'm sure you can find it.

The reason the hg10 fan is noisy is because the pwm specification allows fan makers to specify a minimum fan speed, below which lowering the fan percent just keeps the fan running at that same speed.

IMHO the fan chosen for the hg10 has a much too high minimum fan speed, especially since it only needs to cool the VRM's and VRAM. I solved this by modding it to run on 5v. Works like a charm, is inaudibly quiet and never overheats.

After 13 days, finally got a response for my RMA request to return. They are accepting it, and I also got them to send me a pre-paid return label. So all this waiting cost me nothing.

Can't complain anymore I guess then. Now what to do with this still sealed box H110 cooler.

Change the active period of the fan at temp indicated below.

http://users.Skynet.be/xixou/fanspeedmaxwell.png

I found out it's not the bios that's preventing the fan from spinning down, but the fan itself. It won't spin below 38% of its rated speed (1680 rpm), no matter how low I set it.

What do?

What do?

I've posted the below many times. Only solution I can think of.

Really isn't that difficult, just requires a soldering iron, some solder and some wires you can cut apart and use.

Yeah, I noticed this before even installing the HG10's into my system.

I addressed this by volt modding the blower fans, using a custom wire harness, which also allows the GPU PWM signal to control the 140mm fans on the H90.

Click for Bigger:

22548818708_21da7c441a.jpg

22595601814_e674c48b70_b.jpg

My blower fans are now inaudible. At 0% PWM signal they spin very very slowly at 5V, and when the PWM signal increases, so does the blower fan speed. I figured I could get away with this, as the fans seem designed to cool a full GPU, and in this configuration they are only cooling the RAM and VRM's, so a much slower speed is all that is needed.

The PWM signal also controls the 140mm fans in push/pull on the H90, meaning I can still use MSI Afterburner, or EVGA precision X or other tools like that to manage fan profiles.

I'll definitely look into it, although it may be beyond my expertise. What if I replaced the fan from the bracket with the original fan from my graphics card? I think that one has a lower minimum setting.

Is it the same size, though? Seems like the same type, reference blower.

I've posted the below many times. Only solution I can think of.

Really isn't that difficult, just requires a soldering iron, some solder and some wires you can cut apart and use.

I know zero about electronics. Is there a way to do this without wiring it to an existing fan?

I'm trying to find out what my old fan's lowest speed was, but no luck. The only thing I can find by looking for its model number (PLB06625B12HH EP) is that it's 2 ball bearing with a max rpm of 5000. Nothing about lowest, however seeing as the original bios let me drop the speed to 22%, I'd say it's around 1100 rpm and I do remember it being a lot quieter at idle, I'm just not sure whether it's a straight swap.

Old HG10's relied on you replacing the fan with the stock blower fan, but with this line, the compatibility was expanded to all reference board cards, not just reference cooler ones, so Corsair started shipping their own fan with the bracket, but they never said if the fan is the same is the same as the reference one. The dimensions stated are roughly the same (70x25 vs 66x25) and it's the same type of fan with same type of mounting, but I've no idea whether the mounting holes are a match without taking it apart first.

Dustin?

I'm trying to find out what my old fan's lowest speed was, but no luck. The only thing I can find by looking for its model number (PLB06625B12HH EP) is that it's 2 ball bearing with a max rpm of 5000. Nothing about lowest, however seeing as the original bios let me drop the speed to 22%, I'd say it's around 1100 rpm and I do remember it being a lot quieter at idle, I'm just not sure whether it's a straight swap.

Old HG10's relied on you replacing the fan with the stock blower fan, but with this line, the compatibility was expanded to all reference board cards, not just reference cooler ones, so Corsair started shipping their own fan with the bracket, but they never said if the fan is the same is the same as the reference one. The dimensions stated are roughly the same (70x25 vs 66x25) and it's the same type of fan with same type of mounting, but I've no idea whether the mounting holes are a match without taking it apart first.

Dustin?

You can find out by connecting it to a power supply and connect one of the ground wires on the PSU to the fans PWM wire. It will then spin at its lowest speed.

Well I was about to just completely remove the blower fan and just stick a SP120 Quiet below it to blow on the metal "heat sink" frame, but I took a look at my stock fan and it looked about right for mounting holes, so I tried it.

The stock blower fan is slightly smaller in diameter than the Corsair one, but the mounting screws are in the same location. It fits with a slight gap around the edges (so it won't be as efficient as the Corsair blower fan). But it DOES fit. And it's much much quieter. With my 2 gentle typhoons at 1150 rpm or so (70% speed), the computer is completely silent and at roughly 34C for both the CPU (5820k) and GPU (980ti) at idle. The stock nvidia blower fan also has rubber padding on the bottom to prevent vibration, unlike the Corsair one.

This is a night and day difference, I'm so happy about the mod, definitely worth the hour or so it took to take everything apart.

Now all I need is the new standoffs and I'll be set... are those available yet?

Edited by Skhmt

Well I was about to just completely remove the blower fan and just stick a SP120 Quiet below it to blow on the metal "heat sink" frame, but I took a look at my stock fan and it looked about right for mounting holes, so I tried it.

The stock blower fan is slightly smaller in diameter than the Corsair one, but the mounting screws are in the same location. It fits with a slight gap around the edges (so it won't be as efficient as the Corsair blower fan). But it DOES fit. And it's much much quieter. With my 2 gentle typhoons at 1150 rpm or so (70% speed), the computer is completely silent and at roughly 34C for both the CPU (5820k) and GPU (980ti) at idle. The stock nvidia blower fan also has rubber padding on the bottom to prevent vibration, unlike the Corsair one.

This is a night and day difference, I'm so happy about the mod, definitely worth the hour or so it took to take everything apart.

Now all I need is the new standoffs and I'll be set... are those available yet?

Awesome, thanks. I already have the fan from my old cooler on my desk waiting to go in. Did you have to remove the cooler from the die or can you remove the top part and the fan while keeping the cooler attached?

Awesome, thanks. I already have the fan from my old cooler on my desk waiting to go in. Did you have to remove the cooler from the die or can you remove the top part and the fan while keeping the cooler attached?

You have to take the entire cooler off.

I guess I'll need to get some thermal paste, then.

Yeah... I remounted it and when gaming my temps immediately shot up to 83C. I guess re-using thermal paste didn't quite work for me :D

I got some AS5 from Fry's just now and I was around 74C sustained playing BF4 on ultra at 2560x1440 and getting between 90 and 130 FPS. It was also quiet.